Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

I'm seeing extremely slow print speeds when printing wirelessly from a Mac or a Windows XP system to a new HP Photosmart Premium C309g-m printer. The printer begins printing immediately when I request a print, but it only prints one line. It will then take about 15 minutes to print the rest of the page, printing each line after a very long pause. Demo page printing doesn't exhibit this problem, only documents from programs like Word 2008, Safari and Firefox (tried firefox on PC and Mac) are affected.

If I connect to the printer through a USB connection it prints fine, so this problem appears to be with wireless printing only.

Printer: HP Photosmart Premium C309g-m
Computer: Mac mini (Late 2009 model) (also tried a Windows XP laptop as a comparison, using latest drivers from HP's website)
OS: Mac OS X 10.6.2 with all available updates installed
Computer connection method: Wired Ethernet connection to wireless router
Printer drivers: version 2.2.1 (Apple supplied, HP drivers never installed as system shipped with 10.6)
Wireless router: Apple TimeCapsule (Early 2009) 1TB, running in a/n and b/g modes on 2.4 and 5GHz. TimeCapsule is in bridging mode as the DSL modem handles DHCP service
Encryption: WPA2 Personal, no MAC filtering or hiding of the SSID.

IP addressing scheme: All addresses are handed out by DHCP server with no reservations of any kind

The TimeCapsule is sitting three inches from the printer and the printer indicates full signal. Connection of the printer to the wireless network and setup of the printer on the Mac went without a hitch. Only when printing a test document did we discover the problem. The wireless network is behaving as expected when accessing the Internet from both Mac and Windows devices (tested with a Dell laptop running XP and a MacBook running OS X 10.6.2), so I don't see any overall problems with the wireless network.

Attempted remedies:
1. Rebooting and powering off, waiting, powering on computer
2. Resetting the print subsystem, turning the printer off and on again and reinstalling the printer

3. Unplugging power from the printer and letting it sit for several minutes before trying to print wirelessly.

None of these worked.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I don't know exactly what is going on ... I'll have to think about this for a bit.

It sounds like you're up and running with the current configuration.

Can we call this solved? 

Regards / Jim B / Wireless Enthusiasts
( While I'm an embedded wireless systems engineer at work, on this forum I do not represent my former employer, Hewlett-Packard, or my current employer, Microsoft )
+ Click the White Kudos star on the left as a way to say "thank you" for helpful posts.

View solution in original post

56 REPLIES 56
HP Recommended

Interesting problem.

Print the network configuration (under Setup -> Network -> View Network Settings -> Print Network Configuration Page).  The second page will contain a network survey.  Tell me the names of the wireless networks, the channel number and their signal strength (RSS) and the name of your network.

Next, temporarily move the printer between 4m and 10m away from your Apple TimeCapsule.  Does this make a difference?

( While I'm an embedded wireless systems engineer at work, on this forum I do not represent my former employer, Hewlett-Packard, or my current employer, Microsoft )
+ Click the White Kudos star on the left as a way to say "thank you" for helpful posts.
HP Recommended
I just tried moving the printer into the next room and verified a drop in signal strength, but that didn't make a difference in the printing behavior. It still prints one line at a time with long pauses in between. Here's the data you asked for:

Number of 802.11 networks discovered: 1
SSID: The Cases' Network
Channel: 1
RSS: -14

And after I moved the printer into the next room,
RSS: -61

There aren't any other houses very close to ours, so I'm not surprised that only one network is showing up.

HP Recommended

I have two experiments I'd like you to try.

First, temporarily disconnect the telephone cable from the DSL modem and power cycle it.  Leaving the telephone line disconnected, see if this corrects the printing speed.

Next, reconnect the telephone cable to your DSL router.  Open the printer's internal web page by browsing to its IP address.  Select Networking and then Wireless (802.11).  Under the IPv4 Configuration tab, select Manual IP:

• For Manual IP Address, use the existing printer IP address.
  • For Manual Subnet Mask, use 255.255.255.0
  • For Manual Default Gateway, leave blank.  This is important.

Select Manual DNS Server:

• Leave both the Manual Preferred DNS Server and Manual Alternate DNS Server fields empty.  This is important.

Press Apply.

Turn off the DSL modem, the printer and all computers connected to your network.  Wait 60 seconds then turn on the DSL modem and then turn on the printer.  Then turn on the computers.  See if this corrects the printing speed.

BTW -- who is your ISP (Internet provider)? 

Message Edited by Wi-Fi-Guy on 11-29-2009 09:34 PM
HP Recommended
We tried the first experiment, unplugging the power and phone line to the DSL modem and power cycling it, leaving the phone line disconnected, and the printer printed quickly over wireless! We tried printing the same document again with the same speedy result. We then plugged the phone cable back in and waited for a bit so that the modem could get an external IP, and wireless printing resumed its previous slow behavior.

Do you suspect a bad DSL modem? Some kind of routing problem? I have to admit, I would never have thought to try disconnecting the WAN connection to the DSL modem as all the other network activity seemed to be functioning normally.

Our ISP is AT&T, formerly BellSouth (we're in Tennessee, USA), and the DSL modem is a Westell WireSpeed (a rather old modem).

-Gary

HP Recommended

I don't think there is anything wrong with the DSL modem HW.  There might be an issue with how print data is being routed though.

Please try the second experiment where you blank-out the default gateway and DNS entries from the printer's internal web configuration page.  Open the printer's internal web page by browsing to its IP address.  Select Networking and then Wireless (802.11).  Under the IPv4 Configuration tab, select Manual IP:

• For Manual IP Address, use the existing printer IP address.
  • For Manual Subnet Mask, use 255.255.255.0
  • For Manual Default Gateway, leave blank.  This is important.

Select Manual DNS Server:

• Leave both the Manual Preferred DNS Server and Manual Alternate DNS Server fields empty.  This is important.

Press Apply.

Turn off the DSL modem, the printer and all computers connected to your network.  Wait 60 seconds then turn on the DSL modem and then turn on the printer.  Then turn on the computers.  See if this corrects the printing speed.

HP Recommended
The second experiment also worked. We tried setting the IP address manually without gateway or DNS server information and the printer printed normally, even with the DSL modem connected. Do you think the modem is routing incorrectly or possibly sending out bad DNS server or wrong subnet mask / gateway information?
HP Recommended

I don't know exactly what is going on ... I'll have to think about this for a bit.

It sounds like you're up and running with the current configuration.

Can we call this solved? 

HP Recommended
I marked it as solved as we're up and running again. Thanks, Jim, for all your help. 🙂
HP Recommended

I have this same printer and am having the same problem - it takes several minutes to print a basic html text page from IE and I get error messages on the PC throughout.  I do not have DSL and my wireless router is in the same room as the printer not more than 8-9 feet away.

I am able to stream music over the internet, browsing is fast and signal strength seems strong and reaches downstairs for my laptop without issue.  With the printer however, I cannot even access the web interface via the printer's IP without waiting 2-3 minutes for the page to load and to refresh after each click on a tab etc. (so have not yet been able to try the changes listed here).  Is there anything else I can/should check for my problem?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.