Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

Hi alyssa1, 

Thank you very much for uploading the scanned image. It is really helpful to see how it looks like. From the image, is it correct to say that there is not only shifted data but also corrupted data as shown as the right side of your image?

Hi Michelle28462, 

No worries, please do not upload any confidential or sensitive image. Thanks to alyssa1, I can now see the problem. 

Thanks for letting me know that it is only the first side of the print that is affected for a two-sided job (For Officejet Pro 8710, the second page will be printed first. That explains why the back side has the issue while the front side is ok). 

Hi All, 

Just realized, until now I have not managed to replicate. But I always shut down my laptop or my friend's macbook. Do you experience this problem both when the laptop/computer is always on and when it is shut down at the end of the day?

Best regards,
Nugi

* Although I am employed by HP, I am speaking for myself and not for HP.

HP Recommended

Hi Nugi,

Yes, the data seems to print twice with about a 1/4" overlap.  The right side of the page always has ink lines.  Also, I almost never shut down my computer.  I just let it go into sleep mode.

Thanks for your help,

Alyssa

HP Recommended

I am experiencing the same issue with my HP OfficeJet Pro 8710, purchased November 24, 2016. As others have mentioned, I am using a Mac with OS Sierra 10.12.3 and followed the steps early in the thread without success (note: Macs do not have right-click functionality built in to track pads, so following steps does require an extra third-party mouse, which I had to go and borrow before following the steps, so even the proposed solution steps are problematic).  It is so frustrating and I am wasting checks, ink, and other paper--not to mention time. If I even had any idea when this would happen, I could at least put scrap paper in, but it's totally random. This is a brand new printer and it looks like this has been a known issue for months. Any way to ameliorate yet? I appreciate any additional assistance.

HP Recommended

This is exactly what one of our OfficeJet 8710's is doing, first print is blurry but the rest are just fine. It also only does it every so often.

We have two 8710's in the office and only one of them has this problem, I suspect that maybe it's a firmware issue. Perhaps we could confirm the firmware version on our problematic printers?

8710 with random blurry first print: Firmware WBP2CN1619BR

8710 that prints fine: Firmware WBP1CN1606AR

HP Recommended

This scan shows exactly what happens. No change here. Any fix proposed yet?

HP Recommended

Hello:

Yes, the same issue persists. Just the first side of the first page. Doesn't seem to matter what application or OS I'm using. Thank you.

HP Recommended

Hi All, 

Thanks for your posts. It is helpful to get more information to solve the problem. Really thanks to Alyssa who uploaded the image. It is much easier to communicate to others about the issue with that image.

Hi Alyssa,

Thanks for confirming that the ink lines on the right hand side of the image is part of the problematic plot and not a scanning issue.

Hi  TurnerFabMFG, 

Yes, I would be very frustrated as well if I experienced this issue. Thanks for sharing your issue. For the right click on Mac without extra third-party third mouse, I use two fingers to tap the trackpad. But there are other ways as shown in this link: https://www.cnet.com/how-to/five-ways-to-right-click-on-a-mac-trackpad/.

Hi  stephen_snow, 

Thank you for checking the firmware versions of your two printers. It gives us a new information. How often do you experience this? If it is repeatable every day, I can point you how to get firmware and reflash the firmware to see whether the issue is fixed by changing the firmware. 

Hi Tom, 

Thanks for confirming that your issue is the same as the image posted by Alyssa. How often do you experience it now? Is it still 1 out of 5 days? Or is it becoming more often?

Best regards,
Nugi

HP Recommended

Happens to me too.  Just happened a few minutes ago, first printed page.  And I printed a picture, so used colors.

I just updated the HP 8720 yesterday morning, to whatever the newest update is, from a message on the printer.

Three days ago, I tried reset, and I removed and readded the printer because I couldn't get it to scan.  The blurry printing happened before all that.

I, too, leave Mac on sleep mode and printer on sleep mode.  Rarely do I shut down, usually only if a storm is coming.

I also get the weird lines on the right hand side.

And I've done the map thing, lol, not helpful if you can't see where you're going, it was like driving blind.  Unfortunately I hadn't caught it before leaving.  Good thing there's google maps, but that eats up data.

I have 2 HP printers, btw, an all in one but not the 8720.  Can't remember if it does this on the other one.  But I still love the HP's.  I had an Epson and it was terrible.  Got rid of it in less than a year.  Not much was wrong with it, just didn't like the print quality.

Peace all!

HP Recommended

Hi Teri, 

Thank you for sharing and giving the information of your Mac and printer setting.

Do you mean you experienced this first print blurry issue both before and after you updated your HP Officejet Pro 8720 firmware yesterday morning?How often do you experience the issue? Is it every day?

Best regards,
Nugi

HP Recommended

I have the same issue with the 8720 printer.  usually blurry the first print page.  I can print again and it is fine.  usually happens several times a day and i am using an IMAC.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.