Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

Hi @caudilljc,

Thank you for showing your interest in HP Support Forums. It is a great place to find the help you need, from other users, HP experts, and other support personnel. For you to have the best experience on the HP forum, you could also visit our HP Forums Guide for the First Time Here? Learn How to Post and More.

I see from the post that your HP OfficeJet printer prints the first page blurry, I'll try my best to help you with this,

Please make sure that the printer is connected directly to the wall outlet and not to the surge protector.

Remove all the ink cartridges and then perform a Hard reset on the printer.

With the printer turned on, disconnect the power cord from the rear of the printer and also unplug the power cord from the wall outlet.

Remove USB cable, if present.

Wait for 2-3 minutes, press and hold the power button on your printer for about 30 seconds to remove any additional charge.

Now plug back the power cable straight to a wall outlet without any surge protector or an extension cord and then plug back the power cord to the printer.

Turn on the printer and wait till warm-up period finishes and the printer is idle.

Now insert the ink cartridges and then try to print a test page and check if it works.

Next thing, I would suggest here is to check for the latest firmware update, if available for your HP printer, using this website.

If the issue persists, I would suggest you try to reset the printing systems and check.

• Click the Apple menu icon, and then click System Preferences.
  • Click Printers and Scanners, Print and Scan, or Print and Fax.
  • Right-click the blank space in the Printers list, and then click Reset printing system.
  • Click Reset in the confirmation window.
  • Enter an administrator username and password, and then click OK.
  • Wait until the printing system is reset and no devices show in the Printers list
  • Click the Add button (+).
  • Find, and then select the name of your printer from the Printer list, and then click Add to add your printer.
  • Click Print Using..., and then select the name of your printer (By default “Airprint” would be selected)

I hope this should do the trick. Let me know how it goes for further assistance. 

If you wish to help others looking for the same solution as you've found, mark the post as Accepted Solution.

If you wish to show appreciation for my effort, please click the Thumbs up icon at the bottom of my comment.

And I Hope you have a good day, Ahead.

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Upgrading the firmware did not fix the issue. I'm going to try and roll-back the firmware to the same version that's on our 8710 that doesn't experience this issue.

HP Recommended

Hi @stephen_snow,

Thank you for showing your interest in HP Support Forums. It is a great place to find the help you need, from other users, HP experts, and other support personnel. 

I understand you are having printing issues on your HP Officejet printer, I'll try my best to help you with this,

To help you better, could you provide me with the product number of the printer. 

As I understand updating the firmware did not fix the issue, don't worry as I have a few other steps which should help to resolve the issue,

You could try to uninstall and reinstall the printer drivers. 

Please follow the steps to Uninstalling HP Printer Software (Mac) - Click here

Installation instructions for - 

HP Printers - USB Printer Setup (Mac)

HP Printers - Wired Network Printer Setup (Mac)

HP Officejet Pro Printers - Wireless Printer Setup (Mac)

If the issue persists, I would suggest you try to perform an advance reset on the printer.

I hope this helps, let me know how it goes for further assistance.

Feel free to post your query for any other assistance as well,

It's been a pleasure interacting with you and I hope you have a good day ahead.

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, 

mark my post as Accepted Solution.

And click on the Purple Thumbs up icon at the bottom of my comment.

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I have an 8720, haven't actually had it more than 2 weeks and it does the blurry page printing MULTIPLE times a day.  Doesn't seem to matter if I am printing from my phone via Airprint, my iPad or from my Windows pc that is connected via a USB cable -- which I will note that I hooked up today and installed the drivers today and it too printed a blurry first page on a few print jobs.  It is NEVER the subsequent pages in a print job, ONLY the first.  But I will say I am very disappointed that I am having this happen on a BRAND new printer.  I have tried a hard reboot.  I do have it plugged into an outlet and not a surge protector.  PLEASE HELP.  WHAT DO I TRY NEXT BESIDES RETURN IT FOR A DIFFERENT PRINTER?

HP Recommended
Yes, it happened before and after.
It isn't every day. And it isn't always the first page of the day. Today it was about the 10th-15th page or thereabouts.
And same look to it as others - double print and side lines.
Thanks!
HP Recommended

Hi Teri, 

Thank you for your reply. 

So far I have not managed to replicate the issue using my Officejet Pro 8710 and 8720. If it is not every day for you, it may also be hard to replicate the issue when you want to. 

What do you mean by not always the first page of the day? When else do you observe the issue happen?

Best regards,
Nugi

* Although I am employed by HP, I am speaking for myself and not for HP.

HP Recommended

Nugi - So what seems to be the same as others -  I too cannot replicate the issue when I want.

Others in this post have said that this issue seems to always happen when they print their first 'print job' of the day.  That is not necessarily the case for me.  Instead it is very random.  But, it is always the FIRST page of a print job - what I mean by that is if I am printing a document that is 5 pages long only the first page is 'blurry''.  It is never any other page in a document.  That is what is really strange.

I just emptied out my recycle bin otherwise I would upload an example but Alyssa1 supplied you with an example on page 2 of this thread.  That is the exactly what mine looks like too.  

HP Recommended
Hi smaher1,

Thank you for your message and info that it is not always the first print job of the day.

Yes, it is puzzling on what can cause something to happen only for the first page.

No worries, I have sent the image from Alyssa to the technical team. It is just that they need to capture some data from the printer when the issue happens. This is to identify whether it is solely printer issue or interaction with the operating system or software; and which part of the printer if it is not the laptop/desktop/tablet issue.

So hopefully we can understand better on the required conditions together to replicate the issue.

Best regards,
Nugi

HP Recommended
N,
Same as S1, not always first of day. I mostly print one page jobs, so until I read his/hers, I hadn't thought about it being the first page of print job.
It happens printing out Mac mail, (oh, I have a Mac if that matters), plus from Firefox google maps.
When it happens, is there some error message I could find in the printer to relay to you?
HP Recommended

Hi Teri, 

Thank you very much for your kind offer to help us capture some information when the printer issue. The technical engineer I know is currently out of office. I will check with her when she is back and update you again on what to look out in the printer or laptop/driver when the issue happens to help us characterize and identify the root cause of the problem. 

Thank you too for sharing that you use Mac and the issue happens to you when printing out from Mac mail app. 

So far most posts said that they use Apple devices. But one of the previous post said it also happened on a Window device. Perhaps the issue exists on both operating system but the probability of the issue happening is different. 

Best regards,
Nugi

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.