Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

You will need to Contact HP to request a "Regionalization Reset". There should not be any charge for this, it is covered as part of the cartridge warranty. You will need to have access to your computer and printer while on the line with HP. You will also need to have a set of cartridges for the new region, once the reset is complete cartridges from the original region will no longer work.  HP's web page on the subject is here.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button 

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

HP Recommended

OK.. So calming down. The following day I tried again. The reason being is the printer worked fine with the other ink version - I don't like scrap dumping a perfectly functional printer for the sake of a communication issue.

So I called again - This time I called the UK - they then told me I need to have the regionalisation done by the new regional support team.... OK  - Lets give this another go... So I call my local support team and this time I get a hold of someone who after an hour puts me through to a 2nd level technician, and this guy knows what he is doing!! From the team dialect they could also be in India, which I have no issue whatsoever with just as long as we can all understand each other. Anyhow, this guy is smart and gives me a few smart codes and we are in to the underworld of the printer user interface.

We spend another hour producing codes and running new attempts to regionalise the system but sadly none of that works. I really give these guys credit as they didn't give in.. they were very polite, very patient and knew what was going on. Finally we agreed to call it a day with the promise that someone senior at HP would call and follow-up. 2 hours later that happened and now my problem is solved.

Well done guys - It took about 5 hours in total, a family arguement and a lot of patience but we got there...

I am a happy HP customer again.

Next time if I have any problems I might just try asking directly for the 2nd level tech or switching to a different 1st level tech...

HP Recommended
Hi HP-Expat
Thanks for letting us know, glad to hear you got the region reset done
Ciara
I am speaking for myself and not for HP. Twitter: @Ciara_B_27
HP Recommended

Sorry, but, WHY!!! why can't HP make a printer cartridge that is compatible for all region sets?? Not only is this a waste of time and a frustration for the end user, but, also HP itself! Or just have the firmware say, OK it's a different region cartridge and just use it... why such a big deal on HP's part???

Anyway the lesson I have learned from this thread is for my next printer find a printer manufacturer that supports portability!

Rich

HP Recommended

I'm glad someone got the regionalization fix done, but it's still about the stupidest thing I've ever heard of! I'm about as angry as everyone else started out to be. 

I bought an HP 6510 printer at Costco before shipping out to Iraq. I also stocked up on 564 XL ink cartridges at Costco to take with me, since I knew I wouldn't be buying anything on the local market. I even checked the voltage on the printer to make sure it would work overseas! It worked out well there and then I took it with me to my next posting in Germany. But two months after the warranty expired, it quit printing black ink. No amount of cleaning/aligning/changing cartridges would get it to work. I searched the Internet and found that this was a common problem with this line of printers, and now it was basically trash (which is actually a real pain to recycle here). 

I was angry and disgusted and considered switching brands. But I still had a supply of new cartridges from Costco. So I went to the local computer store to buy the same kind of printer. They were all out. In fact, I couldn't find it anywhere. But the store did have the 5510, which uses IDENTICAL cartridges in shape and size. So I bought it, at about 50% more than I would have paid in the U.S. But when it came time to install a new cartridge, and I used a 564, it said it was incompatible and wouldn't continue. It fit just fine; probably the exact same supply of ink! But the number on the label isn't correct, so no go. 

No one here has answered the question why they won't work. I'm sure, even if they knew, they would be too embarrassed to try to explain something so asinine. But it must be some huge corporate secret, or else they would post the necessary steps and codes on their web site. Which is, of course, only necessary because they created this dumb policy to begin with. 

I really don't have hours to spend at home trying to fix this issue through multiple layers of "support." But I guess I have to. Or just sell both the printer and the cartridges and go with something else. 

HP Recommended

When you return to the US you will need to Contact HP to request a "Regionalization Reset". There should not be any charge for this, it is covered as part of the cartridge warranty. You will need to have access to your computer and printer while on the line with HP. You will also need to have a set of cartridges for the new region, once the reset is complete cartridges from the original region will no longer work.  HP's web page on the subject is here.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button 

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

HP Recommended

I'm experiencing the same issue as the other users.

I purchased an HP Photosmart 7520e in Italy. When the ink ran dry, I went to the Navy Exchange at our local NATO Base to purchase ink but only had 564. I require 364, but the packaging states 564 is compatible with my printer.

So disappointed to find out that, in a moment of need, as I work from home with contract work to Canada, the 564 is NOT compatible at all. I'm so frustrated as I need ink now for a pressing issue with work! I called the 800 number for a fix only to be greeted with "technical difficulties at this time...call again later".

Sure, I could go to a store and hope to find the 364, but I'm isolated and the stores are about an hour drive away. And, I paid a lot of money for the 564 cartridges and doubt the store would take them back with no packaging.

Help!

Thank you for your time and consideration

Jan

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.