Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I have performed the head cleaning process. I still cannot get the photoblack cartridge to print so I can get text. I have already replaced this once assuming it was a defect. I have now used up a good part of my ink in all cartridges (other than the one not functioning). I am pretty frustrated. I am very grateful for the detailed explanation of how to attempt to resolve this but it seems this is not going to resolve. I am considering uninstalling and reinstalling the printer as a last ditch effort in case this is a software glitch.  Again Bob thanks for your input.  I see it worked for someone else.

HP Recommended

HP Officejet 6500 sucks!

I bought the HP Officejet 6500. After it printed out about 20 pages, it seems that the black ink is out!!! at 30 pages, it cannot be used anymore. I printed out the test page, the black still have more than 1/3 (30 pages cost 2/3 with a middle level for print??) I adopted the suggestions to clean the head and printed the test page. Then, the printer gave me the ink level warning! I only used it for 32 pages (inlcuding 8+ vague pages)

HP Recommended

@sunnyseles wrote:

[snip] I bought the HP Officejet 6500. After it printed out about 20 pages, it seems that the black ink is out!!! at 30 pages, it cannot be used anymore. [snip]

I suspect the issue is that you have a clogged vent in the black ink supply.  If the vent is clogged the printer will appear to run out of the color with the clogged vent rather quickly.  See the troubleshooting steps in this page.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button 

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

HP Recommended

Thanks for the quick supply. Actually the printer gave me warning on all the ink levels. But I only printed several pages of colorful pages.

So, I cannot understand why a brand new cartridge only can print less than 30 pages

HP Recommended

@sunnyseles wrote:

Thanks for the quick supply. Actually the printer gave me warning on all the ink levels. But I only printed several pages of colorful pages.

So, I cannot understand why a brand new cartridge only can print less than 30 pages

OK, a few things to check - did you check the vents?  You mentioned before that you had run cleaning cycles.  How many?  If you run the full 18 minute full reset type cleaning it can take quite a bit of ink.  A few cleaning cycles could use a significant amount of ink.  Cleaning cycles are generally not needed and should be avoided.  If you are using an external switch to turn off the printer it will also use more ink and can also leave the printheads uncapped causing poor printing.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

HP Recommended

Thanks.

First, before I run the clean service, the report already said the ink levels are lower than half or 2/3 (after I only printed out less than 30 pages)

Second, I ran the clean service twice (use the instructions posted before). But each time it only cost about 2 minutes, not 18 minutes. Then the ink level reaches the warning stage.

HP Recommended

@Bob_Headrick wrote:

If you are using an external switch to turn off the printer it will also use more ink and can also leave the printheads uncapped causing poor printing.

I assume you mean that one shouldn't use an external switch (i.e. a power strip) to turn off the printer without using the "Power" button on the printer first.  Once the printer has "parked" the printheads, it's okay to use an external switch, right?

Thanks.

HP Recommended

I always use the power button on the control panel to turn off the printer.

HP Recommended

Bob you're the greatest--thanks for taking the time to help everyone!!  Thought my printer was history--had my last one for years before something happened to it. This one is relatively new.  Terrible thing to have to print ASAP and have it not work.  Thanks to you ----My printer is up and running, cleaned the head like you said-----HPB209a- perfect-.

Thanks again

-

HP Recommended

@random64921 wrote:

Bob_Headrick wrote:  If you are using an external switch to turn off the printer it will also use more ink and can also leave the printheads uncapped causing poor printing.

I assume you mean that one shouldn't use an external switch (i.e. a power strip) to turn off the printer without using the "Power" button on the printer first.  Once the printer has "parked" the printheads, it's okay to use an external switch, right?

Thanks.

Actually the printer should always be plugged into an active outlet and an external switch should not be used to turn off the power.  Although it is not too bad if you first turn off the printer's power switch and wait for the heads to properly park, there are still issues using an external switch.  The printer has an internal clock that keeps track of how long it has been since the last print job and adjusts the amount of servicing before printing accordingly.  If the power is removed from the printer the time will be lost and the printer will assume the worst case for the time since the last print job.  This will result in more servicing, which will use more ink.  This will shorten the life of both the ink supply as well as the printer.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.