Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

I purchased a 6500 All in one printer about a year ago last March. The printer was not used very much, a few pages a day. Several months ago, the printer started displaying the error message "Printhead Missing' and would not function at all. I followed the instructions to remove and clean the cartridges and printhead. Still got the same error message. Talked to HP support a couple of times, no success there either. Apparently. the 6500 printhead is not a supported item, I was told that HP doesn't stock this item and therefore I can't replace it. The suggested solution was "buy a new printer". At best, I find this to be an unacceptable solution. Has anyone solved this problem or is my 6500 relegated to the trash along with HP's image of providing printer support?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

After replacing a set of ink cartridges I received two errors - The Printhead error and an Ink System Failure error . So what I did for my 6500 wireless when I received the error "The printhead appears to be missing or damaged"

I removed my ink cartriges, then I removed the printhead itself. It was very dirty. I proceeded to wash the entire assembly in the sink. Then I laid it out in front of my hair dryer for about 20 minutes allowing the air to dry it completely.

In the mean time I looked inside the printer housing and saw on the right side (where the print cartridges and printhead reside) much ink appeared to have been either leaking or possibly being flung all over the place during the printers printhead cleaning adjusting or whatever it continues to do all the time when no one is around.

Ink was everywhere inside there. I removed the little sponge and took Q-tips and some paper towels and just kept wiping everything up in there.

20 minutes later I placed the printhead and cartridges back inside. Bugger, I still received the printhead error message... don't go away yet, there's more to my story... I then proceeded to take a look at the electronic ribbon cables they all appeared to be free of any rips or cuts. But I decided to try on both the printhead and the ribbon cable against the back piece to slide a thin rod behind them to pull them away from the printer just a hair so that they would make better contact. The side that has sticky I did not go behind the sticky during this procedure, just along the top and sdes as I could. You will damage the ribbon cable if try to do more then just a tiny bit of pressure.

Once I turned the printer back on, it gave me an error as I had forgot to put in the ink cartriges.

I then unplugged the printer, replaced the cartridges and then plugged in and powered the printer back on.

WALAA It went through a preperation process and then an alignment process and 10 minutes later there were no printhead errors and no more Ink System errors. It has been working proerly for a few days and I think it is fixed!!

:OpenSmile:

I hope this helps someone, anyone as I know I paid quite a bit for my 6500 and was very disappointed when the errors arrived as I do not use the printer much and I have always kept it covered. I was just glad to get it working again.

One thing I hate about this all-in-one printer is the fact that if you get printer errors the stupid thing will not even allow any other functions to work. No scanning, No faxing. That was very agrvating!

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
HP Recommended

I just received a replacement printhead item #CN643A and will be installing it within the hour.  I will let you know if it worked.  I bought it via www.hp.com/buy/parts .

K

HP Recommended

It did not work.  I had tried cleaning my original printhead after trying all the other remedies given in the forum.  Nothing worked, so I ordered the replacement printhead from HP.com.  I never had an error message with the original problem of the black not printing, but now I have ink system failure, etc.  The black still does not print.  I used all new, original cartridges and printhead.  Followed the instructions to the letter and now things are worse. 

I am now researching other brands for our business.  I always had HP for printers, but have noticed a decline in dependability.  I only had this 6500 for 18 months.  It does not get a heavy workout and is very well taken care of.  On average we print 25 - 40 pages per month.  I will search once again for any other suggestions for a remedy, but it's starting to look terminal.  I definitely would not recomment HP 6500 wireless to anyone.  The blogs out there have too many problems being reported.

HP Recommended

Hi again!

The printhead you purchased recently will be under warranty and you can get a replacement from HP. It is very important that the electrical contacts are cleaned very well during installation. When you're talking with HP about the replacement, you might check to see if they can send you a repair kit which would give you the printhead, cleaning materials, and cartridges. No one I've talked with is sure if you would normally be sent that, but since you've purchased cartridges too, it seems like you might be able to receive those too.

Best of luck,
Mary

{I work on HP's behalf}
HP Recommended

Hi Mary!

First, thanks for your assistance.  I tried 3 times today (for 50 minutes at a time) to speak to someone at HP, but never got a real person.  It's very discouraging. 

I cleaned the contacts on the printer until there was absolutely no ink on the pre-moistened cloth that came with the printhead. 

From the info on HP.com, the 6500 is not a candidate for any assistance from HP.  I have already spent more on new cartridges and a new printhead, than I did for the printer!  I was fortunate to use codes, coupons and rewards to purchase it on sale from Staples for only $93.00 (18 months ago.)  I am leaning toward cutting my losses and trying to find a similar product with a better track record.  After reading the numerous blogs and reviews, I would not have purchased the 6500, but that's what happens when you take a chance on a new product.  It appears many users have had a bad experience with the printer and the lack of response from HP.

I hope to have this resolved by Sunday.  There are a few back to school sales to check out.  If anyone reads this with knowledge of another product suggestion, please respond.  I need 2-sided printing, along with the 4 in 1 functions.

Thanks again, Mary!

HP Recommended

After replacing a set of ink cartridges I received two errors - The Printhead error and an Ink System Failure error . So what I did for my 6500 wireless when I received the error "The printhead appears to be missing or damaged"

I removed my ink cartriges, then I removed the printhead itself. It was very dirty. I proceeded to wash the entire assembly in the sink. Then I laid it out in front of my hair dryer for about 20 minutes allowing the air to dry it completely.

In the mean time I looked inside the printer housing and saw on the right side (where the print cartridges and printhead reside) much ink appeared to have been either leaking or possibly being flung all over the place during the printers printhead cleaning adjusting or whatever it continues to do all the time when no one is around.

Ink was everywhere inside there. I removed the little sponge and took Q-tips and some paper towels and just kept wiping everything up in there.

20 minutes later I placed the printhead and cartridges back inside. Bugger, I still received the printhead error message... don't go away yet, there's more to my story... I then proceeded to take a look at the electronic ribbon cables they all appeared to be free of any rips or cuts. But I decided to try on both the printhead and the ribbon cable against the back piece to slide a thin rod behind them to pull them away from the printer just a hair so that they would make better contact. The side that has sticky I did not go behind the sticky during this procedure, just along the top and sdes as I could. You will damage the ribbon cable if try to do more then just a tiny bit of pressure.

Once I turned the printer back on, it gave me an error as I had forgot to put in the ink cartriges.

I then unplugged the printer, replaced the cartridges and then plugged in and powered the printer back on.

WALAA It went through a preperation process and then an alignment process and 10 minutes later there were no printhead errors and no more Ink System errors. It has been working proerly for a few days and I think it is fixed!!

:OpenSmile:

I hope this helps someone, anyone as I know I paid quite a bit for my 6500 and was very disappointed when the errors arrived as I do not use the printer much and I have always kept it covered. I was just glad to get it working again.

One thing I hate about this all-in-one printer is the fact that if you get printer errors the stupid thing will not even allow any other functions to work. No scanning, No faxing. That was very agrvating!

HP Recommended

Hi Angelch17,

Glad that worked out for you. A fellow who posts here a lot has suggested a similar cleaning process that has worked for several people:

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Other-Printing-Questions/Photosmart-Premium-c309a-Black-prints-out-gree...

I don't think any of the ink that escapes inside the printer causes problems unless it covers the electrical contacts.Just like the inside of a car engine. Many can look very bad, but still work fine.

Best of luck,
Mary

{I work on HP's behalf}
HP Recommended

I just replaced my black cartride and my printer gave a message saying printerhead appears to be missing or damaged.

HP Recommended

Hi Rubee,

Try the instructions on HP.com for fixing this error:

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03027244

Best of luck,
Mary

{I work on HP's behalf}
HP Recommended

I am NOT a happy camper. I bought this HP Officejet 6500 all-in-one printer/scanner/fax machine because the LAST hp printer I had finally died. It's not that old. It's not abused or overworked. But now I get the printhead message. I had to search all over the internet to find a part because apparently HP has decided that people buying this system can afford to buy all new printer cartridges AND still not be able to print AND spend a lot of time and energy trying to get this thing to work AND finally find a printhead, order it, and have to wait days to get a part that's going to end up costing close to $100 (unless I can afford to wait even LONGER). On top of that, I can't even use the scanner or the fax part of this system because it's so busy telling me THAT IT IS NOT WORKING that it won't let me do ANYTHING on it!

I'm frustrated and angry that I just bought new ink cartridges AND had to order a new printhead. This has already cost me MORE than what I paid for this brand new! I am furious that I'm wasting this money when I should have just gone ahead and bought a NEW machine since HP won't support what they sell and don't even provide a work-around so you can use what's left of this machine that is sitting on my desk like a useless paperweight.  I am missing MY deadline because I can't scan a couple of pictures! Some of us do NOT have days to waste trying to get parts and trying to get your products to work. Until my new printhead gets here, I won't even know if that will solve the issue! And because I've already spent a good amount of money trying to get this working, I can't really afford to run out and just pick up a replacement. Thanks so much, HP. Way to provide support for your products. Great way to encourage customer retention. Seriously, the best you can do is give us CLEANING TIPS for this and MAYBE something will work? Clarification: Completely disgusted HP owner.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.