Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I've been following this thread since I posted this problem back in October 2012 and have tried so many suggestions and diagnosis of my own that I can't remember everything I have tried but I can report that this problem had been ignored by HP until the Firmware update of 2013-03-21.  Please check the following link to HP's support site to review and download this important firmware update:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareCategory?os=4062&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&sw_lang=&product=4323...

It is highly recommended to install this important firmware update via a USB or wired ethernet connection only and Not with a Wireless connection.

Although I still can't print correctly on a custom paper size (a paper size not available from any of the HP driver selections as seen from inside your software application), this firmware update does elimate the long-term annoying error appearing on the printer console that is the subject of this thread (Paper detected does not match paper size or type selected) and does finally allow you to print on your custom paper, just not formatted correctly.  It seems like the 8600 now treats any custom paper size format as if it were printing on a standard 8.5 x 11" paper so you only get a portion of your content appearing on your custom paper.

The following is the the official HP posting of the issues addressed by this last firmware update: (notice item #6)

1) Enhance ePrint Diagnostic report for ePrint Setup

2) Improve ease of wireless setup
    3) Enhanced Embedded Web Services
    4) Improve Print Quality
    5) Improve Ink Usage
6) Improve paper path performance
7) Improve Digital scan performance

I would appreciate anyone who has solved the final portion of this problem by posting a final solution to this extremely annoying problem on an otherwise terrific printer.

Many Thanks - Gus

HP Recommended

What a great post Gus!  I'm glad you verified my thought process, and even better, the results. 

Signature
↙-----------How do I give Kudos?| How do I mark a post as Solved? ----------------↓
HP Recommended

Do you have the solution as to why the HP 8600 series printers prints the content of a Custom Paper Size document on the Custom Paper as if it were formatted for a 8.5" x 11" paper size now that the "Paper detected does not match paper size or type selected" error problem has been resolved by the 2013-03-21 Firmware update?  The custom paper size paper does not jam or generate an error during printing but the text prints on the custom paper size as though is was printing on a standard 8.5" x 11" paper so only part of the text prints on the custom paper size.  Resolving this problem would close out this thread.  Thanks - Gus

HP Recommended

Hi Gus,

my printer already has the latest firmware installed (CLP1CN1322CR, which is the same version as in the link you gave in your message).

Still, when I try to print to custom paper, I get the error message "Paper detected does not match paper size or type selected. Make sure the paper size or type is correct to continue the job."

And the only option is "OK", which ejects the paper and cancels the job. So it is exactly as described in the original posts.

So I seem to be missing the benefit of this firmware update. For the record, could you describe exactly what *should* have happened after the firmware update? I expected some kind of choice, e.g. "OK, please print on my paper", "Change paper", and "Cancel job".

Is this update maybe country specific? I am in Canada.

Here is the info from my "Printer Status Report":

Model Name: HP Officejet Pro 8600 N911g

Model Number: N911g

Product Number: CM750A

Printer Zone (PX): 0

Firmware Version: CLP1CN1322CR

FW Patch Version: 0

Country/Region: 14 / 1

HP Recommended

Hi Selinger,

You might try shutting down your computer (not a reboot) and then doing a Hard Reset as described in the following link.  Click Here  Is there a difference after powering the computer back up?  If that doesn't help, can you answer some questions?

1. If you have 2 trays, which one are you using?
  2. What is the size and weight of the paper you are trying to print?
  3. What type and size of paper do you choose in the computer?
  4. What is the operating system for your computer?
  5. What program are you using?
Also, remember a click on the Kudos star to the left is a quick "Thanks" for a helpful post.

Please select the "Accept as Solution" button on the post that best answers your question.

I appreciate your input ! ___________________________________ _____

Thank You,
Rich
Expert
HP Recommended

8 Lives,

Per the instructions here: http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Mac-Printing-and-Scanning/Problems-with-Acrobat-Reader/td-p/2775647

I tried to create a new HP 8600 printer (the printer I have) that would use the HP Deskjet 9800 driver for mac.  When I select this new printer and try to print, the print diolague box says "Ready on server- Finished page 1" but still shows like it's in the process of sending the document to the printer. The top of the box also says the printer may be out of ink, which it's not. It will not print.  For now, I'm jsut trying to print a #10 envelope which is an HP supported size.

Looks like intalling the HP Deskjet 9800 driver for mac will not work on an HP 8600 printer.

HP Recommended

@MFlem, you do not need to do anything as the Mac is able to print on custom paper sizes using  the 8600.

For the envelope, check your 8600 Printing preferences.
Select "Layout" then under "Print on Both Sides" select None, Apply that change if nessary..
Select "Paper/Quality" then under "Paper Size" select "Envelope #10", Apply that change.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please mark the post that solves your issue as "Accept as Solution".
I am a volunteer and do not work for HP.
HP Recommended

I've had the same experience as Selinger.  I also installed the firmware hoping it would fix the paper size problem but it does not.  I have also tried the hard reset suggested and tried using the Deskjet 9800 driver. Nothing works. I'm in the US and on a Mac. Here are my specs:

Model Name: HP Officejet Pro 8600 N911g

Model Number: N911g

Product Number: CM750A

Printer Zone (PX): 0

Firmware Version: CLP1CN1322CR

FW Patch Version: 0

Country/Region: 14 / 1

HP Recommended

@8 Lives, thanks for your help.  I should have been more clear. I'm actually having trouble printing #9 envelopes. In order to test the alternative print driver I just tried to print a #10 envelope which I knew should print fine if the driver worked correctly.

HP Recommended

@MFlem, to set up #9 envelope. (Mac OS X)

A. From the Filemenu in your software application, click Page Setup, and then make
sure the printer you want to use is selected in the Format Forpop-up menu.
- OR -From the Filemenu in your software application, click Print, and then make sure
the printer you want to use is selected.
B. Select Manage Custom Sizesin the Paper Sizepop-up menu.
NOTE: If you do not see these options in the Printdialog, click the blue
disclosure triangle next to the Printerpop-up menu.
C. Click the +on the left side of the screen, double-click Untitled, and type a name for
the new, custom size. (#9 envelope)
5. In the Widthand Heightboxes, type the dimensions, and then set the margins, if
you want to customize them.
6. Click OK.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please mark the post that solves your issue as "Accept as Solution".
I am a volunteer and do not work for HP.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.