Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP 8610 Officejet Pro
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

CAN NOT FIND "TOGGLE" TO CHANGE PRINT ORDER.

Control Panel

...Devices and Printers

......right-click Printer Icon

.........Printer Preferences

NO option for changing print order on any tab

Quickbooks Pro

...File

......Printer Setup

.........FORM: Check/Paycheck

............Options

NO option for changing print order on any tab

This option used to be available.  What changed?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

The Deskjet 6980 driver is compatible with the Officejet Pro 8600 series (including the 8610) and provides page order as well as other features missing from the Officejet Pro 8610 driver including:

• Page Order
  • Resizing options, including page scaling by % or shrink to fit, 
  • Copy Count (with optional collating)
  • Mirror Imaging (for printing T-Shirt transfers or decals)
  • Watermarks
  • Advanced Color (Brightness, Saturation and Color tone, individual sliders for CMYK)
  • Overspray 
  • Dry Time

The Deskjet 6980 driver can be installed as follows (instructions are for Windows 7, other versions would be similar):  Devices and Printers folder, right click on the Officejet 8600, select Printer Properties, Advanced, New Driver, Next, Windows Update, wait a while for the page to refresh, then select the HP Deskjet 6980 (HP) driver, OK.  It may be desirable to change the name back to Officejet Pro 8610:  right click on the Printer, Printer Properties, General, type in the desired printer name, Apply.  While there it may be necessary to enable the duplexer:  click the Device Settings tab, set the duplex unit to Installed, Apply, OK.

Installing an alternative print driver will not have an effect on the scanning apps.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button 

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
HP Recommended

Hi @beckinista,

Page Order was removed from the version 32 software. I have checked multiple printers that use this version of software and the option is simply not there.

The only workaround I can think of is to us an alternate driver.  I suggest using the 8600 as an alternate driver, as it uses version 28. 

How to Assign Alternate Print Drivers in Different Versions of Windows.

The link above will guide you through the steps to assign an alternate print driver, I ask that you choose the 8600 if available, and if not you can install the basic 8600 driver here;

OJ8600_Basicx64_1315.exe - For 64bit operating systems

OJ8600_Basicx86_1315.exe  - For 32bit operating systems

Please let me know if using the 8600 driver allows you to change the page order as I suspect it will. Thanks. 🙂

Sunshyn2005
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the thumbs up" button!

HP Recommended

Thanks, Sunshyn2005, for the info.  I have a coupleof questions before I procede with your solution:

1] Does HP plan to rectify this mistake in a future update of the 8610 software?  This is a VERY important feature for businesses that do any significant amount of check printing,and have to jump through hoops to make a product work is NOT good for HP's image.  I do accounts payable for more than 10 divisions, and this is >almost< enough to make me think "Lexmark".

2] What effect will this change have on my HP Scan and Capture application?

Thanks!

Beckinista

HP Recommended

I followed your instructions, but it made no difference.  After changing the driver, there was STILL no option to choose a print order.

Any other ideas, or could you suggest a comparable, current-market printer that DOES have that option?  This is a must-have option in my line of work.

Thanks.

HP Recommended

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post serial numbers and case details.

If you are unfamiliar with how the Forum's private message capability works, this post has instructions.

Sunshyn2005
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the thumbs up" button!

HP Recommended

The Deskjet 6980 driver is compatible with the Officejet Pro 8600 series (including the 8610) and provides page order as well as other features missing from the Officejet Pro 8610 driver including:

• Page Order
  • Resizing options, including page scaling by % or shrink to fit, 
  • Copy Count (with optional collating)
  • Mirror Imaging (for printing T-Shirt transfers or decals)
  • Watermarks
  • Advanced Color (Brightness, Saturation and Color tone, individual sliders for CMYK)
  • Overspray 
  • Dry Time

The Deskjet 6980 driver can be installed as follows (instructions are for Windows 7, other versions would be similar):  Devices and Printers folder, right click on the Officejet 8600, select Printer Properties, Advanced, New Driver, Next, Windows Update, wait a while for the page to refresh, then select the HP Deskjet 6980 (HP) driver, OK.  It may be desirable to change the name back to Officejet Pro 8610:  right click on the Printer, Printer Properties, General, type in the desired printer name, Apply.  While there it may be necessary to enable the duplexer:  click the Device Settings tab, set the duplex unit to Installed, Apply, OK.

Installing an alternative print driver will not have an effect on the scanning apps.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

HP Recommended

Hi beckinista,

Suggestion - instead of going into the control panel or the App, try the following.

Here is an example from the HP universal Printing PCL6 driver.   Click on Print for your document.  When the print window opens choose printing preferences (there are other ways of getting to this menu).  Go to the advanced tab for advanced document settings.  At the bottom of the list is a Layout option menu with Page order.  "Front to back" or "back to front".  Switch the setting and try your checks again.   Dovid

I am an HP Employee
I work in Laser Jet Printing ((;-)>
The opinions expressed here are my own and not those of HP. Kudos are always appreciated if I have helped you.
HP Recommended

Thanks, but ... the 8610 does not HAVE the back-to-front/front-to-back option built in to it.  Your suggestion works for printers that HAVE the capability, but the 8610 does NOT.

HP Recommended

Hi Support Center.

I just bought my HP Officejet Pro 8610 April 2016 and the option for reverse check printing is still not available.  Printing payroll checks was a pain in the butt.  I had to go into my check register and correct all of the numbers.  I tried to follow your instructions for loading the softward for the other printer, but never received the option when right clickingfor the others driver.  Please help me someone!!!   Month end is hear and I have 20 checks to correct now that have the wrong numbers on them.  Thank you!!1

HP Recommended

@logging-now wrote:

Hi Support Center.

I just bought my HP Officejet Pro 8610 April 2016 and the option for reverse check printing is still not available.  Printing payroll checks was a pain in the butt.  I had to go into my check register and correct all of the numbers.  I tried to follow your instructions for loading the softward for the other printer, but never received the option when right clickingfor the others driver.  Please help me someone!!!   Month end is hear and I have 20 checks to correct now that have the wrong numbers on them.  Thank you!!1

Did you follow the procedure in the post here?  What is your operating system?

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.