Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP Officejet Pro 8620
Mac OS X 10.11 El Capitan

My mac and my iPhone no longer find our HP Officejet Pro 8620.  Have rebooted all devices.  Reset printer to factory settings and reconnected to home wireless network.  Both Mac and printer are wirelessly connected to the same network.  Printer has latest version of firmware.  Printer copies and prints test and configuration pages fine.  

I just cannot print via AirPrint from my iPhone, or add it as a printer to my Mac. When I go into Printers/Scanners, the printer is not found...not by IP address or Hostname, either.  I've tried everything and am just about ready to go buy a non-HP printer....this is the second finnicky HP we've had.  Please help.  

Also, we have an Airport Extreme router, if that helps at all.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hey @IowaMom,

Welcome to the HP Support Forums!

I understand that you are having some issues with printing from your Apple devices to your Officejet Pro 8620 e-All-in-One Printer. I can help you with that. 

To start, make sure the printer is plugged directly into a wall outlet and not a surge protector. Once done, on the printer click on the Wireless icon that looks like a radio tower. Now:

• If you see a line that says Status: Not Connected, then the printer is not connected to a wireless network. Click on the gear, wireless settings, and Wireless Setup to connect the printer to your wireless network.
  • If the printer's IP Address starts with 169.254, the printer is not obtaining a proper IP Address from your router. Contact Apple or whoever provided you with the router to determine why the printer is not obtaining a proper IP Address.
  • If the printer's IP Address starts with 172, the printer is connected to a guest network. Contact Apple or whoever provided you with the router for assistance with disabling the guest network.
  • If the printer's IP Address starts with 192.168 or 10, the printer is properly connected to a wireless network. Please see below.
  • If the printer's IP Address starts with any other number, your network is being maintained. Contact whoever setup the network for assistance with connecting the printer to your wireless network.

At this point you should be able to print. If you are still unable to print, the next step would be to check the printer and all the devices to make sure the first three sets of numbers in their IP Addresses match. If they all match, there is a setting on the router that the printer is having issues with. Contact Apple or whoever provided you the router and ask them to do the following:

• Open all ports.
  • Enable Multicasting.
  • Disable MAC filtering/MAC cloning.
  • Disable the Guest network.
  • Make sure the router is broadcasting a 2.4GHz (Giga-Hertz) band.

Please let me know the results after following the above. If you are able to resolve your issue, please click on Accept Solution. If you appreciate my help, please click on the thumbs up icon. Both icons are below this post.

~DocCottle
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” below the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution.

Please click the Thumbs up icon below to say “Thanks” for helping!

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hey @IowaMom,

Welcome to the HP Support Forums!

I understand that you are having some issues with printing from your Apple devices to your Officejet Pro 8620 e-All-in-One Printer. I can help you with that. 

To start, make sure the printer is plugged directly into a wall outlet and not a surge protector. Once done, on the printer click on the Wireless icon that looks like a radio tower. Now:

• If you see a line that says Status: Not Connected, then the printer is not connected to a wireless network. Click on the gear, wireless settings, and Wireless Setup to connect the printer to your wireless network.
  • If the printer's IP Address starts with 169.254, the printer is not obtaining a proper IP Address from your router. Contact Apple or whoever provided you with the router to determine why the printer is not obtaining a proper IP Address.
  • If the printer's IP Address starts with 172, the printer is connected to a guest network. Contact Apple or whoever provided you with the router for assistance with disabling the guest network.
  • If the printer's IP Address starts with 192.168 or 10, the printer is properly connected to a wireless network. Please see below.
  • If the printer's IP Address starts with any other number, your network is being maintained. Contact whoever setup the network for assistance with connecting the printer to your wireless network.

At this point you should be able to print. If you are still unable to print, the next step would be to check the printer and all the devices to make sure the first three sets of numbers in their IP Addresses match. If they all match, there is a setting on the router that the printer is having issues with. Contact Apple or whoever provided you the router and ask them to do the following:

• Open all ports.
  • Enable Multicasting.
  • Disable MAC filtering/MAC cloning.
  • Disable the Guest network.
  • Make sure the router is broadcasting a 2.4GHz (Giga-Hertz) band.

Please let me know the results after following the above. If you are able to resolve your issue, please click on Accept Solution. If you appreciate my help, please click on the thumbs up icon. Both icons are below this post.

~DocCottle
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” below the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution.

Please click the Thumbs up icon below to say “Thanks” for helping!
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.