Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I have a HP OJ 8710 printer.  The printer has a static IPv4 set and we can print with our Win 7 and Win 10 PCs when the printer is on.  However if the printer goes to sleep, we cannot print, cannot even ping it or go to the EWS page at its static IPv4 address.

Current verion of the HP OJ 8710 is 'Firmware Version: WBP2CN1619BR', 'Built Date: 2016-05-11'.  I found a newer version of 'OJ8710_R1644B.exe' of date Dec/2016.  If I run this file on a Win 7 PC, it never finds the printer. If I go to the EWS, Tools, Printer updates, Firmware updates, click on check now, it states there is no newer updates. If I use the control panel and try the printer updates, it states there is no newer updates.

Clearly something is not right,  How can I updated the firmware or is there no any newer firmware for this model?

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Welcome back to HP Support Forum. I hope you're well @John-G1!

I see by your post that you are experiencing printer issues with your Officejet 8710. I will certainly do my best to help you 🙂

We can try and fix this issue by giving a static IP address, Manual DNS and by disabling the IPv6 on your printer. I understand you already tried to assign a static IP address. Follow the steps mentioned below:

• Obtain the IP address of the printer – You can touch the “wireless” icon on the printer control panel to obtain the IP address.
  • Type the IP address on your web browser to obtain the printer EWS page on your computer.
  • Go to the “Network” tab – Click on “Wireless (802.11) – Then click on “Network address (IPv4)
  • Click on the radio button which says “Manual IP” and then click “Suggest a manual IP address” to give a manual IP address to your printer.
  • Click on radio button which says “Manual DNS Server” and under manual preferred type 8.8.8.8 and under manual alternate type 8.8.4.4. Apply the settings.
  • Under the “Network” tab – Expand “Network protocols” and select the option which says “Enable IPv4 only” and apply the settings.

Let me know whether that works for you. Good luck!

Cheers 🙂

Please click "Accepted Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

Please click "Accepted as Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

DVortex
I am not an HP Employee
HP Recommended

Hello Dvortex;

Thank you for the syggestion of setting a static IP address on the wired ethernet.  As you may have read in the post, a static IPv4 address, gateway and 2 DNS servers have been set.  ONny IPv4 is enabled.  Wireless is turned off.

The fact still is when the OJ 8710 goes to sleep, I cannot ping nor get tot the EWS page.

I cannot update the firmware either by the dowloand FW update file or the Printer Update utility.

What else do you suggest that will work?

HP Recommended

Hello;

Today I could use the EWS and update the firmware to

Firmware Version    WBP2CN1644BR
Built Date    2016-10-27

Still, the printer will go to sleep and not wake up when a print job is sent.  It will not even respond to pring or browser requests on the static IP address.  What else can I do to fix this issue.

Or will HP return my money and get me a printer which does work?

HP Recommended

OK I got it working.

Set the Printer to factory defaults, set a static IP address.

So far thats all I did.  Now the printer will goto sleep and reply to pings and wake up and print.

Thanks for you help.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.