Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

My HP C5280 printer just quit printing and has the above error message.  I have always used HP cartridges.  The black is 74XL with an expiry 2014/01/14 and the color is a 75XL expiry 2012/05/31. 

Is the problem because the color cartridge has expired or is there another issue?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Yes I would venture to say that is the cause of the error message. However, to make sure try this:

Remove the expired cartridge. Now with the power still on, remove the power from the back of the printer. Wait at least 30 seconds, then connect  the power cord back into the printer. Turn the printer on. Put that cartridge back on and see if the message clears. If not then it is the cartridge.

007OHMSS

I was a support engineer for HP.

If the advice resolved the situation, please mark it as a solution. Thank you.

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
HP Recommended

Yes I would venture to say that is the cause of the error message. However, to make sure try this:

Remove the expired cartridge. Now with the power still on, remove the power from the back of the printer. Wait at least 30 seconds, then connect  the power cord back into the printer. Turn the printer on. Put that cartridge back on and see if the message clears. If not then it is the cartridge.

007OHMSS

I was a support engineer for HP.

If the advice resolved the situation, please mark it as a solution. Thank you.
HP Recommended

What if your cartridges arent out of date? mine are in date but it keeps giving me the same error message?

HP Recommended

I changed the expired color cartridge, the error message cleared itself and the printer worked.   Other than that I don't know what I can suggest.   

HP Recommended

Believe my 74xl cartridge should be replaced due to lack of ink.  However, if I changed the "Printing Prederences" to "Print in color", should the printer still print?

HP Recommended

I have the same problem!  I don't see anyones reply and have searched and searched for answers but all I see is the same question.

Did you get an answer?

HP Recommended

By the way...I refuse to buy a new printer.  I have way too much ink invested in it.

HP Recommended

What does this mean and how do I get printer to work?????

HP Recommended

Hello everyone,  sorry to see that you are all having basically the same error.  I have found a document that I think will help.  Please click on the link that I am providing and follow the instructions.  http://goo.gl/AgIDfD

If this does NOT resolve the issue, please write back and I will continue to do more research on this for you all.  Sorry for the inconvenience on this matter.

Thanks in advance

Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" at the bottom of this post to say “Thanks” for helping!
Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

W a t e r b o y 71
I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

Cartridges are not expired.  What do I do to fix this problem?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.