Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

i did this too and did not work...any other way?

HP Recommended

It says Print cartridges - refer to printer documentation.

HP Recommended

"refer to printer documentation"

Photosmart Express window is telling me I have the wrong color ink cartridge!!! I have cleaned the contacts,

unplugged printer and started over, changed cartridges, but nothing changed!!!

HP Recommended

Ever since I bought my C5280 back in 2004, the tri color cartridge was always green. When I purchased a box of two black and one tri color, this cartridge is now blue. My Ink cartridges are 56 for Black and 57 for Tri Color. I get the Refer to Printer Documentation. I am not sure on what to do, and if you can give me some information on what to do, will appreciate it so much. I cannot get the printer to run and match up alliment. Thanks for your time.

HP Recommended

cartridges were printing well, usual warning of ink becoming low not displayed. Went to use printer and refer to printer documentation message appeared. Tried turning off and replacing cartridges (same ones), did not work.

HP Recommended

Symptom:

Error " ! Print Cartridges" with "Refer to printer documentation" when a new HP 350 Black Cartridge is is put into a HP C5280 Printer. This issue also happens on the 351 Cartridges as denoted by other customers.

Review:

These cartridges are expensive! I had this problem happen on a new HP 350 Black cartridge. I tried cleaning the terminals on printer and ink cartridge, full reset on the printer and every other item listed here. None resolve the problem.

If you put the old depleted 350 black cartridge back in, then the error does not appear. This leads to a fault with the new cartridge only.

If you check your old HP cartridge and it has a grey/gold date time printed on it above the terminal connection e.g. L 12 2 06:30:55 - This appears to be an original HP cartridge. The new cartridge does not have this information on the cartridge.

Possible Causes:

This error comes up when:

1. A faulty HP 350 or 351 cartridge is inserted

2. A foreign import copy of a 350 or 351 HP Cartridge in inserted

A HP Cartridge (made in Malaysia) professing to be a HP cartridge does not work. Is it a copy of an official HP cartridge - why does it not have the date time on it? A HP cartridge made in Singapore does work fine and it date time stamped.

You can only see the date time on the cartridge if you open the packet, upon which point its used and cannot be taken back to most shops.

What is worrying is thousands of retailers globally are selling what they think are genuine HP cartridges or are faulty ones, and they do not work in respective HP printers.

Possible Resolutions:

a) For the customer: Only purchase 350 / 351 Cartridges "Made in Singapore".

For HP:

b) HP to review 350 & 351 cartridges and find out why so many are not working; whether they are foreign copies or a fault in manufacture in Malaysia (if this is where HP make them now).

c) Advise customers what to look out for to ensure they get a genuine HP Cartridge that works so we don't keep wasting our money and time on cartridges that don't work.

d) HP to print the date time of manufacture on the cartridge wrapper next to the HP logo and use a hologram type symbol that cannot be copied to show its a genuine HP part. Customers can then see it's an official HP cartridge. Also put the place of manufacture on both cartridge and wrapper, e.g. "Made in Singapore".

e) HP to recall the 350 & 351 cartridges made in Malaysia and replace with working ones such as those made in Singapore in all shops, but only once a fault criteria has been determined.

f) Allow affected customers to call HP Customer Service for a replacement, verify the cartridge is a failed one, and thereby replace free of charge and thereby provide the HP Customer Service required.

Thanks for listening HP :generic:

HP Recommended

EDIT: Nevermind.

I am an ex-HP Employee. Currently inactive on the forum.
HP Recommended

Argh!! Horrible problem...Print Cartridge Error...

TRY THIS!!!!

After much frustration & lid slamming (it's a tough machine!!).

I kept reading & going through problem solve it solutions from you wonderful people and then.........

Got some ethonol based hand wash gel (had no alcohol wipes or metho), turned off the machine, took out the cartridges, put the gel on a piece of tissue, wiped the rollers the cartridges and their casing. Replaced them back into the HP printer, turned it back on..error GONE Problem Solved,,hope this has helped

HP Recommended

I too have this same problem,tried all the sugguestions that have helped some of you but my HP is about to get thrown out the window...all my cartridges are made in singapore...so this is not the problem HP...unless you can supply an answer to really fix this Im seriousley taking it out"office space style" and never buying HP again,as I have had a few other problems leading up to this and the cartridges are not cheap.My sister has a nice simple all in one that never messes up and she can get her ink cartridges refilled!!!!

HP Recommended

This is not a printer problem. It is a printer cartridge manufacture problem. Some work and some don't. You pay your money and take your luck with these 350/351 cartridges. After spending so much on cartridges, it's actually cheaper to buy another printer!

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.