Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP Deskjet 2542
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

My printer stopped working suddenly, and I'm wondering what might have happened or what I am doing wrong.

The problem started when I replaced the cartidges in it. Since then, although the printer appears to be connected just fine and it appears among the devices on the Control Panel, I have not been able to print anything. Once I send anything to print in Word, the program processes the command and the printer icon appears on the start menu. Briefly, it says "1 document waiting to be printed", but then the printer makes some noises and after a few seconds the status changes to "0 documents waiting to be printed" and the printer does nothing.

I have already deinstalled the drivers, restarted the computer and reinstalled the printer from the setup file available online. This time, though, I've opted for the USB printing option to avoid any issues with the wireless option which I had previously. The problem persists and I still cannot print a thing.

My sister has the same type of computer with Windows 7 on it, and she's able to print just fine.

I would be very grateful if anyone could help (and possibly explain things in simple terms as I'm not the most experienced person in terms of IT, unfortunately). Thanks in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi,

Firstly - please download and run HP Print and Scan Doctor  to quickly and automatically perform several troubleshooting tasks known to resolve this issue.

When this link is clicked, HP Print and Scan Doctor is downloaded using your Internet browser's download capabilities.

You might want to check the firmware of the printer as well

visit the DJ 2542 support pages at

HP Support

There are links to firmware updates.

Russ@HP
Say thanks by clicking the Kudos Star in the post that helped you.
Please mark the post that solves your problem as Accepted Solution
(Although I am employed by HP, I am speaking for myself and not for HP)
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi,

Firstly - please download and run HP Print and Scan Doctor  to quickly and automatically perform several troubleshooting tasks known to resolve this issue.

When this link is clicked, HP Print and Scan Doctor is downloaded using your Internet browser's download capabilities.

You might want to check the firmware of the printer as well

visit the DJ 2542 support pages at

HP Support

There are links to firmware updates.

Russ@HP
Say thanks by clicking the Kudos Star in the post that helped you.
Please mark the post that solves your problem as Accepted Solution
(Although I am employed by HP, I am speaking for myself and not for HP)
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
HP Recommended

Thank you very much for your assistance.

I re-installed the printer once again and ran the Print & Scan Doctor, which detected an error in the printer and downloaded an updated driver to aid it. It's working now!

HP Recommended

@natali91

Glad to hear it's resolved now!

Kudos to @RussP !

I am speaking for myself and not for HP. Twitter: @Ciara_B_27
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.