Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

This printer has been replaced three times and it still does not work.  It is a piece of junk......  lemon.......

HP Recommended

Hi latriciakyle, 

Please provide additional details.

1. Problem Description
2. Printer Model
3. Operating System (including service pack revision)
4. Connection Method - USB, Hardwired LAN, Wireless?
5. Error messages - on printer screen and/or computer, any blinking light patterns.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Other-Printing-Questions/Want-Good-Answers-Ask-Good-Questions/m-p/2094

I am an HP employee.

Say Thanks by clicking the Kudos Star in the post that helped you.

Please mark the post that solves your problem as "Accepted Solution"
HP Recommended

Hi,

I appreciate this is an old thread, but I have the exact same problem with two of these printers in different locations.

I can confirm that the printer can be setup to connect to the wireless network by either WPS from the printer, or during the software setup.  It seems to be connected to the network and shows a DHCP leased IP address.

However, when trying to connect to/PING the printer it is not accessible.  Further, it is also not accessible from the PING diagnostics of the router - which it has just received a DHCP lease from.

The printer and PC are both next to each other and there is no issue with the wireless connection on the PC.

In on property the router is a short distance from the PC/Printer (maybe 8 metres), in the other the PC/Printer and wireless router are all within 1 metre of each other.

So, I don't believe this is a wireless interference issue.

I'd be grateful for any further assistance with resolving this problem.

Thanks

HP Recommended

Hi Fritz99,

If you are unable to ping the printers IP address this usually means there is something running on the computer which is blocking the communication with the printer.

What printer do you have?

What is the operating system on the computer?

What firewall/security software are you using?

Can you ping the printer using any other computers?

HP designed a quick and easy tool that diagnoses and resolves many printing, scanning, and connectivity problems: The HP Print and Scan Doctor. HP recommends that you download and install the Print and Scan Doctor any time you need to troubleshoot a problem with your HP printer from the link below.

Let me know what errors you receive?

http://www.hp.com/go/tools

I am an HP employee.

HP Recommended

Hi PCWizard,

Thanks for your reply and thanks for your help.

It's a Windows 7 PC and it's using the standard Windows firewall and MSE.

The printer is the 3050/J611a.

There are no blocking rules on the PC - it can ping it's default gateway (the router) and other devices on the LAN - android tablet, mobile phones etc.

Further, from router's diagnostic section - the router is unable to PING the printer.  It effectively completely falls off the network, IP wise at least after gaining it's DHCP lease - print out's from the printer don't suggest there's any kind of problem at all - the printer thinks it's on the network and that it's connection is good - this is not the case.  If I can't connect to it from the router then there's no way the PC's going to be able to see it - that's the problem.

I have this exact same issue with two seperate printers in two seperate locations (the printers were bought at the same time).  The locations have different PC models and different internet routers - exactly the same thing happens and no other wifi devices have any kind of a problem.

Having worked in IT for over 20 years, specifically as a network and network security consultant this looks to me suspiciously like a hardware/firmware problem with the printers.

I'd be happy to take network traces or other diagnostics if you feel it will help.

Please let me know what you would like.

Thanks

Mark

HP Recommended

Hi Fritz99,

Thank you for the additional information.

What make and model are the routers?

What is the distance and any obstacles between the printer and router?

Did you run the Print and Scan doctor utility? if so, what error messages did you receive

Follow the steps below to reset the printer network defaults, and then reconnect the printer to the network. Let me know what you find out?

1. Press the Wireless button to access settings

2. Navigate to Restore network defaults, and then press Ok

3. Turn printer off for about 30 sec to 1 minute, and then turn it back on.

4. Reconnect the printer to your wireless network.

I am an HP employee.

HP Recommended

Hi PCWizard,

Thanks for your swift reply.

I am not onsite at present - so from memory - one router is TalkTalk branded (don't know the model number) and the other is a Virgin Media SuperHub.

Regarding the TalkTalk network - the distance is a round 6-8 metres, the router being in the hallway and the PC/Printer being at the far end of the room next door, so a single wall between them.

With the SuperHub setup the PC and Printer are both sat within 1M of the router with no obstacles.

I ran the Printer setup on the TalkTalk PC and whilst I don't remember a specific error number/message - the result was that it could not find the printer on the network.  I didn't run the doctor utility.

On the TalkTalk network I did reset the printer to default and re-attach to the network with WPS after a reboot.  The printer re-attached successfully and obtained an IP address, but I was still not able to access it.

I have a spare printer of the same type that I will be taking to the TalkTalk location, probably Monday next week - the one from the SuperHub setup (it's now been replaced as it was too unreliable).

If you have any further suggestions taht would be great, otherwise I'll let you know what happens next time I'm onsite.

Thanks

Mark

HP Recommended

Hi Mark,

Thank you for the update. You may want to download the Print and Scan doctor utility, and then run it to see what you find out. There are a lot of options in the utility to help identify where the issue may be occuring. Let me know what you find out when you try the other printer.

I am an HP employee.

HP Recommended

Hi, I have the same problem with the same printer model.

The printer is connected to wifi, and it has an ip address (I see it in the router configuration page), I can ping it from the router but not from my host.

I've disabled windows firewall, tried all the solutions that are posted here but nothing.

I've also resetted the printer and reinstalled, now it is connected again to the lan but my computer still doesn't see it.

I could print using the printer through USB but I want to print using wireless LAN.

I'm on windows 7 x64, and my router is a netgear.

HP Recommended

I'm having the same issue. A HP Deskject 3050 printer which has been printing over wireless for years suddenly cant be detected. I reset the printers settings and re-installed it on the network via the usb cable. The printer report shows all of the correct settings and the router shows that its on the network under the static ip 192.168.1.69, same one that it's always used but when you try to connect with it wirelessly theres no response, can't be detected, can't be connected to through a browser, nothing. There have been no changes to the routers, firewalls, or the computers trying to print to it. I have tried it from multiple computers that used to be able to print wirelessly but theyre all having the same issue. I see this thread has been going for quite some time but I can't see a solution being offered. If there's a solution to this it would be great to get it.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.