Post new question
Question
HP Deskjet 6988 Admin password will not reset
Replies (19)

Student
Message 11 of 20 (4,777 Views)

Re: HP Deskjet 6988 Admin password will not reset

I do computer repair & networking for a living. I tried all this stuff wouldn't work. The web interface is jacked. That would could be fixed by an update..... If they would acknowledge the problem.

Student
Message 12 of 20 (4,767 Views)

Uninstall printer in add and remove programs. Then hook up usb or lan cable and reinstall printer from disk.  It will ask you  what ur wep/wap ect. key is. Get that from ur router.  It also will remove the username and password.

Peace

Honor Student
Message 13 of 20 (4,745 Views)

Hi osomarotten,

I've tried this 4 times, twice with USB and twice with ethernet and it doesn't reset the password. Maybe there's a missing step? When installing/reinstalling the printer I rebooted my PC each time to make sure it was a clean start.

I even found a "factory settings" button in the Toolbox section for this printer in HP Solution Center on my PC and that doesn't seem to do anything either.

If someone else has success with this process, please share!

Top Student
Message 14 of 20 (4,626 Views)

I to am having this problem. I have even loaded web jetadmin to change it and it said it suceeded but it still does not work

KTM Tutor
Tutor
Message 15 of 20 (3,839 Views)

The following is posted in "deskjet 6980 password reset": 

================================================

Press and hold POWER.
Press "X" (Cancel Print) the specified number of times (1)
Press RESUME/FF the specified number of times. (2)
Release POWER
1 2 --> ROM-Dump, P/C, Alignment-dates

================================================

If you follow that and look at the rom dump address 0408 on the deskjet 6988, you can see the password and the user name is just above it or nearby.  I'm not certain if that address would be exactly the same for each rom dump, but the user name and password should be listed in that rom dump. 

Top Student
Message 16 of 20 (3,760 Views)

Thanks, finally someone who knows what to do.  I got the ID and password (someone had entered a password before I bought the printer) and the 6988 was up and printing in 5 minutes.  Again, thanks!

Paul

Honor Student
Message 17 of 20 (3,740 Views)

Thank you, KTM, that worked. Turns out that the password I had originally set was too long and the admin software in the printer truncated it. Got into the admin account and reset the settings, now everything works as expected.

Honor Student
Message 18 of 20 (2,139 Views)

Good looking out KTM. Thank you for taking the time to reply when you did so that I could locate a solution over two years later. Surely most of us are surprised that I am still supporting an HP product (especially an inkjet printer) after the usual 1-2 year timeframe that device failure occurs.
Student
Message 19 of 20 (1,857 Views)

Can you translate this process for Mac users? It's been years now that I've had this printer, it works great, but it would be nice to have it wireless. Thanks.

Student
Message 20 of 20 (1,539 Views)

Also works for Deskjet 6940, which has the same major bug that the password is not reset on factory reset.

T H A N K S !

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation