Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

HP Deskjet F4480 and Windows 8.  All of a sudden, in the midst of printing and copying, my printer began producing blank pages. I changed nothing; the output simply went from fine, perfectly acceptable copies & printouts to blank pages. Even when the printer is not connected to my computer and I try to copy something, the pages come out blank.  The color catridge is low but I am only trying to print & copy b&w & that ink level is fine. The 'light bar'moves across the plate and the cartridges move freely. HP diagnostics found no problems but even the test page came out blank. I have turned both printer and computer off and back on to no effect. There are no error messages. None of the trouble shooting posts addresses this problem & my printer is out of warranty so I can't get HP tech support.  I am at my wit's end and ready to throw the printer out the window. I am not computer literate so need an answer geared to my handicap.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi,

Try printing a self test by clicking the power and cancel buttons, can you see any black ink output?

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01361419

If not, try removing the ink cartridge and stamp its bottom part on a tissue - can you phisically see any black ink?

1. Click Settings ( ).
  2. In the Print Settings area, click Printer Toolbox . The printer Toolbox opens.
  3. On the Device Services tab, click Clean the Print Cartridge(s) ( ).
  4. Click Clean to begin the process.

If there is still no difference, I would suggest contacting the retailer to check the ink cartridge if it is under its warranty period.

Shlomi

Click the Yes button to reply that the response was helpful or to say thanks.
If my post resolve your problem please mark it as an Accepted Solution 🙂

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hi,

Try printing a self test by clicking the power and cancel buttons, can you see any black ink output?

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01361419

If not, try removing the ink cartridge and stamp its bottom part on a tissue - can you phisically see any black ink?

1. Click Settings ( ).
  2. In the Print Settings area, click Printer Toolbox . The printer Toolbox opens.
  3. On the Device Services tab, click Clean the Print Cartridge(s) ( ).
  4. Click Clean to begin the process.

If there is still no difference, I would suggest contacting the retailer to check the ink cartridge if it is under its warranty period.

Shlomi

Click the Yes button to reply that the response was helpful or to say thanks.
If my post resolve your problem please mark it as an Accepted Solution 🙂
HP Recommended

You are a life saver or should I say printer saver!  I will save the window for throwing out something else.  I couldn't print a check which was my fault I am sure; I wasn't sure whether to click the power and cancel buttons at the same time but did try every which way to no avail. However, when I removed the ink cartridge and rubbed it on paper, voila, no ink.  I then tried something  I should have tried before( and would have with any other device but since it involved a computer, I became an idiot); I tried to make a color copy and had no problem.  I never dreamt that the printer would not correctly read the ink level and because prior to this, my copies and printouts had always clearly shown that I was running out of ink, why would I. Regardless, I will know better next time. Thank you so much. 

True to form, although I have 2 color cartridges on standby, I have no black ones, so it off to the store.  Glad to not be buying a new printer!

HP Recommended

Tried to post kudos but couldn't.  Sorry, told you I was computer illiterate.

HP Recommended

Hi Schlomi,

I have the same problem as the user above.  Printer shooting blanks both when connected to computer and when only doing copies.  When scanning, the image transfers to computer well, but can't print from the comp.  

I tried the troubleshooting options you provided.  I also did the in-printer cleaning and also the "cotton swab" cleaning recommended by hp support online.  I also tried doing the paper feeding cleaner, thinking maybe that was the problem.  Unfortunately, all with no avail.  Nothing worked.  Any other recommendations? 

Thank you

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.