Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP ENVY 4504
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

The printer used by my office isn't printing any black ink. It doesn't say it has run out of black ink, but anything on a page I print that requires black ink is absent. I checked the cartridge to see if it had ran out and the printer wasn't telling me, but it had not. I also tried putting in a new black ink cartridge but it wouldn't print in black using that either.

There are no issues with printing in colour and the problem has only started today. The black cartridge is definitely compatible with this printer as it had been functioning with it correctly up until now.

We purchased this printer less than one year ago now.

So far aside from changing cartridges I have also turned the printer off and on again, but neither has helped.

I would greatly appreciate any assistance as we currently only have this one printer in the office and we rely on it for a lot of work.

Many thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Try here.

http://support.hp.com/us-en/product/HP-ENVY-4500-e-All-in-One-Printer-series/5304875/model/5368526/d...

Additional Ink Cartridge Information after you have done all the HP recommendations:

Once you check the vents turn the cartridge over and check the underside near the ink opening.  They may be four plastic tabs near the opening that are raised up.  Make sure that these raised tabs are removed and made flush with the cartridge body.  This will cause the cartridge not to seat properly into the print head assembly possibly causing air to be drawn in.  This will especially affect the black ink cartridge.

Let us know especially if you find the above to be true.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Try here.

http://support.hp.com/us-en/product/HP-ENVY-4500-e-All-in-One-Printer-series/5304875/model/5368526/d...

Additional Ink Cartridge Information after you have done all the HP recommendations:

Once you check the vents turn the cartridge over and check the underside near the ink opening.  They may be four plastic tabs near the opening that are raised up.  Make sure that these raised tabs are removed and made flush with the cartridge body.  This will cause the cartridge not to seat properly into the print head assembly possibly causing air to be drawn in.  This will especially affect the black ink cartridge.

Let us know especially if you find the above to be true.

HP Recommended

Thanks! It seems to be working now as a result of cleaning the printhead.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.