Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP ENVY 4524
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi, 

I'm having some issues with my HP ENVY 4524, it's fairly new and I have only used it a couple of times. The last time I used it was around 5 days ago and it printed fine. However, today when I am attempting to print from my laptop again through wireless connection the following message appears: 'Wait until the printer finishes before you push in the output tray extender.'

I have tried unplugging the cable at the back of my printer and unplugging the cable from the socket, leaving it at least 60 seconds before plugging it back in again and turning it on. I was able to print a printer status report from the home screen of my printer- the tray came out and the report printed. I then tried to print my stuff now that the tray was out but the same message appeared again and no attempts were made by my printer to print my stuff out. Therefore even with the tray out it isn't printing. The tray isn't coming out when I try to print my stuff and only does when printing a printer status report or test page. 

I haven't altered any of the settings on my printer of laptop and there are no jams or blockages. Therefore would appreciate it if someone would be able to offer some advice on whether this is something I can fix easily or whether it needs to be sent back to where I brought it?

Thanks, Caitlin.

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi caitlin1, 

Welcome to the HP Forums! I understand you are unable to print from the computer but you can print a status report from the printer itself. I also see you have already performed a hard reset by removing the power cable for a period of time and then reconnecting it. I suggest running the Print and Scan Doctor as the issue might have to do with the driver. Perhaps the driver is not communicating with the printer as it should be. I checked for a firmware update and do not see one on the Printer driver page, but you could check on the front panel of the printer too as there could be an update available that might help. 

Let's first run the PSDr and go from there. The HP Print and Scan Doctor (PSDr) is a free utility (tool) that helps to quickly resolve common printing, scanning, and connectivity issues including but not limited to:

• Connectivity:

USB: Verifies that the USB connection from your computer to the HP product is working correctly.

Network: Verifies that the network connection between your computer and your network is working correctly.

• Device Status Test: Checks for device errors such as out of paper, paper jams, carriage stalls, and paper feed issues, and then provides instructions for fixing the error.
  • Driver Check: Checks for missing or corrupt driver files.

·         Device Manager: Checks for problems in Device Manager that would prevent printing.

• Device Online: Checks if the product has been paused or set to offline, and then sets the status back to online if necessary.
  • Print Queue: Checks for and clears pending print jobs in the print queue (a log of print jobs waiting to print).
  • Port Match: Checks the port settings for the HP product.
  • Device Conflicts: Checks for conflicts with other drivers, such as other printer brands.
  • Ink Issues: Checks the cartridges and ink levels for issues that affect print quality.
  • Print Settings: Checks and adjusts the print quality settings.
  • Test Print: Prints a test page for print quality evaluation, and provides options for cleaning and aligning the printhead if necessary.
  • Scan Tests: Checks the scan mechanism, drivers, and registry entries.

Source: Try the HP Print and Scan Doctor for Windows

Click here to download and run the Print and Scan Doctor> www.hp.com/go/tools

If that does not resolve the issue, post back and let me know if there are any symbols other than green check marks and what they are next to of course. The wrench is not always easy to spot as the wrench and the check mark are both in a green circle.

• If you see only green check marks, the tool did not find any problems.
  • If you see green wrenches, the utility identified an issue and corrected it automatically.
  • If you see yellow exclamation points, the test failed and required user action, but the step was skipped.
  • If you see a red X, follow the on-screen instructions to resolve the issue.

Thanks, I look forward to hearing back from you. If this resolves the issue, please click the Accept as Solution button below to identify your post as solved. Thanks. 

Sunshyn2005
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the thumbs up" button!

HP Recommended

Hi,

Thanks for your response and help. However, when running the HP print and scan doctor it all showed green check marks, there were no wrenches or exclamation marks or x's. Still not able to print from my laptop either.

Thanks!

HP Recommended

Hi @caitlin1

I wonder if the printer driver is the root cause. I suggest using the following steps to delete the printer from device and printers, and the driver from the server properties.

1. In the ‘Devices and Printers’ folder

2. Choose ‘Print server properties’.

• Win XP – With no printer selected, click ‘File’ then ‘Server Properties’.
  • Windows Vista – With no printer selected, press ‘Alt’ then click ‘File’ then ‘Server Properties’.
  • Windows 7/8, 8.1, and 10 – Select any printer in the ‘Devices and Printers’ folder and click ‘Print Server properties’ above.

3. Click on the ‘Drivers’ tab at the top of ‘Print server properties’ window

4. Choose the printer you want to uninstall and click ‘Remove’

5. Choose 'Remove driver only'

6. The next screen will give a warning, letting you know that deleting the driver package will remove it from the system. Click ‘Yes’ to say that you are sure you want to do this.

If documents are stuck in the print spooler, you may see an error, cancel any documents pending in the print queue, or try restarting the print spooler, then try to remove the driver from ‘Print server properties’ again. If it still won’t remove the package, restarting the computer and the printer should resolve this ‘in use’ error and allow the driver to be removed.

After the driver is removed, open Start > All Programs > HP folder > Printer folder > HP Setup and Software (or the printer icon).

The Setup and software screen will open and you can click on Connect a new printer.

Keep me posted! 

Sunshyn2005
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the thumbs up" button!

HP Recommended

Actually, to add to my email----it's doesn't work when I use word. If I print from somewhere else first and then I print from work, it works. But after that when i print from word again, it doesn't work...

HP Recommended

This is a frustrating problem and after I did all the troubleshooting, reinstalled the printer driver, printer spool stuff, computer restart, unplugging power, unplugging USB....I decided to try what sjane1000 had done.  I was able to print a document in Excel.  So I went back to my Word document and tried it again.  But I still got the same error.  So I decided to try to save my Word document as a PDF and then print it.  When I saved it as a PDF it strangely changed my font.  So I decided to go back into my Word document and change the font.  I had a true type font called Orlando.  Well, believe it or not, when I changed the font in Word, the document printed!!!

So just another thought, it could be an outdated font in your document that doesn't allow it to be communicated to the printer.  I don't understand why that would be a problem but even Adobe PDF wouldn't use it.

I hope this might help someone!!!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.