Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP Envy 4500
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

All of a sudden, my HP Envy 4500 has failed at printing any pictures; documents continue to print OK.  For photos, the printer acts like it's working fine to begin, but only prints about half of the photo on the paper - it looks to be printing the rest onto nothing as the back of the photo has some ink from the rollers.....

Searching the forums, this is the EXACT problem I'm having:

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Inkjet-Printing/HP-Envy-4500-prints-only-half-of-the-photo/td-p/3781222

I've uninstalled/reinstalled drivers, tried printing from another laptop, and even tried what was suggested in the above post - to copy a photo from the scanner on the printer itself.  That still only printed half of the photo....

The consensus from the link above was it was a hardware problem.  My printer is out of warranty, so unless there is something else I can try I'll be buying a new printer.   This one isn't worth it to me to pay to ship it somewhere to fix it.

Any last suggestions before I donate this to the local goodwill (with a note that it only prints documents)?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi @JPotter,

You can contact HP Customer Support to find out what service or trade-in options are available. Fill in the model number and the form to receive a case number for quicker assistance.

Thanks!

Gemini02

I work on behalf of HP

Click the Thumbs Up below to say “Thanks” for helping!

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Greetings @JPotter,

Thanks for accessing the HP Support Forums for extra support! I see that you are experiencing issues printing photos. I would be happy to help you. 

I would do a hard reset to see if that will resolve the issue.
Leave the printer on and unplug the power cable from the printer
and wall outlet for 60 seconds.
Then reconnect the power cable to the printer and wall outlet
rather than a surge protector.
This ensures the printer is receiving full power and may help
this situation.

I would suggest updating the printer's firmware: HP Envy 4500 series firmware update to improve printer performance.

If this helps you to reach a solution, please click the "Accept as Solution" button. If you wish, to say thanks for my effort to help, click the "Thumbs Up" to give me a Kudos. Please let me know the outcome. Have a nice day!

Gemini02

I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended

Hello @Gemini02

Thanks for your response, I've had time to sit down and follow your instructions for a hard reset.  Checking the Firmware, my model already has the latest version installed (MKM1FN1547AR).

In fact, the picture I tried after the 'hard reset' barely even printed at all on the photo paper - only like 1/4" (1cm) of the edge of the photo got on the actual photo.  This is with brand new HP ink cartages (the old did the same, changed just to check).

Any other ideas?

Thank you,

John P.

HP Recommended

Hi @JPotter,

Start at Step 8 'Print a Print Quality Diagnostic report' and work your way down the document to see what the results are: Fixing Poor Print Quality.

Are you using Genuine HP Cartridges?

Thanks!

Gemini02

I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended

Hello @Gemini02,

I proceeded through step 8 at that guide and the Diagnostic report appears to have printed correctly - as with all documents.   It seems I only have the issue with photos.

I am using genuine HP Cartridges - HP 61 Black and Tri-Color cartriges.

Regards,

John P.

HP Recommended

Hi @JPotter,

Since the self-test pages printed properly, it would be a software issue.

I would suggest to uninstall the old printer software first and remove any old registry files of the printer and then reinstalling it by following the steps below:

Back up the registry first, before attempting any of these steps: How to Backup Windows 10 Registry.

For non-HP computers:

Press the Windows key and R, the run box will open.

Type in regedit and press OK.

Click the + signs beside the following:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software and remove the HP/Hewlett-Packard folders.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE and remove the HP/Hewlett-Packard folders.

For HP computers:

Press the Windows key and R, the run box will open.

Type in regedit and press OK.

Go to the Edit tab, then click on Find.

In the search box, type "Envy 4500"  and click Find Next.

Only certain ones will be relating to the printer, and they will have some indication in the description. When it finds one of the entries, and you have confirmed it is related to the printer, within a reasonable doubt, you can delete it by hitting Delete on the keyboard.

Once one entry is deleted, hit F3 on the keyboard, which stands for Find Next.

Repeat the process until all "Envy 4500" printer entries are deleted.

Restart the computer.

Perform a clean boot on the computer and turn off the Antivirus Software. How to perform a clean boot in Windows.

Download and install the latest software from HP: HP ENVY 4500 e-All-in-One Printer series Full Feature Software and Drivers.

Let me know if that helps.Thanks!

Gemini02

I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended

Hello Gemini02,

I've had some time to sit down and work through your troubleshooting - but unfortunetly, the printer still is not prining pictures properly.  At this point it is clear to me the printer can't align to the paper properly and is missing half or more of the picture.

I also want to point out the issue also occurs with 2 other computers in the house (one running Win10, the other Win7) and even when I try and copy a picture from the printer itself (no PC involved) it has the problem.

Documents 'appear' to print ok and nothing shows as wrong in diagnostics - but still the issue with pictures.  I'm guessing at this point it's likely a hardware issue?

Regards,

John

HP Recommended

Hi @JPotter,

You can contact HP Customer Support to find out what service or trade-in options are available. Fill in the model number and the form to receive a case number for quicker assistance.

Thanks!

Gemini02

I work on behalf of HP

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.