Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP Envy 4500
Microsoft Windows 8 (64-bit)

My printer will not pull the 4x6 photo paper from the tray.   Actually it won't print on any photo paper.   I have tried all the suggested things in this thread (cleaning the rollers, updating firmware, copying multiple plain sheets) and it still doesn't work.   Appears the rollers just won't pull the paper.  Works fine with normal copy letter sized paper.  Only two small white rollers on the top tray however it must be built that way as there are no signs of broken pieces or rollers anywhere.  HELP!

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hi @kjstew,

Thanks for reaching out to the HP Support Forums!

I noticed that you're unable to print photos with your HP ENVY 4500 e-All-in-One Printer. I would be happy to help you and please remember to return to this thread and mark 'Accept as Solution', if I have successfully helped you resolve the issue. If you wish to say 'thanks' for my effort to help, click the 'thumbs up' to give me a Kudos.

You have done a great job troubleshooting in an effort to isolate the issue. I'm going to get you to perform a couple more tests.

Load photo paper:

1. Make sure the paper tray is open.
  2. Slide the paper-width guides all the open.
  3. Remove all paper from the paper tray, and then load the photo paper with side to be printed on
  4. facing down.
  5. Push the photo papers into the printer until they stop.
  6. Slide the paper-width guides firmly against the edge of the photo papers.

Copy a photo on photo paper:

1. On the printer's front panel menu, choose Copy.
  2. Settings.
  3. Paper Type.
  4. 4 x 6 Photo.
  5. What were the results?

To print a photo on photo paper from Windows:

1. On the File menu in your software, click Print.
  2. Make sure your printer is selected.
  3. Click the button that opens the Properties dialog box.

Depending on your software application, this button might be called Properties, Options, Printer
Setup, Printer Properties, Printer, or Preferences.

4. Select the appropriate options.

• On the Layout tab, select Portrait or Landscape orientation.
  • On the Paper/Quality tab, select the appropriate paper type from the Media drop-down list in the Tray Selection area, and then select the appropriate print quality in the Quality Settings area.
  • Click Advanced to select the appropriate paper size from the Paper Size drop-down list.

NOTE: For maximum dpi resolution, go to Paper/Quality tab, select Photo Paper from the Media drop-down list, and then select Best in the Quality Settings area. Then click the Advanced button and select Yes from the Print in Max DPI drop-down list. If you want to print max DPI in grayscale, select High-Quality Grayscale from the Print in Grayscale drop-down list.

5. Click OK to return to the Properties dialog box.
   6. Click OK, and then click Print or OK in the Print dialog box.

NOTE: After the printing is finished, remove unused photo paper from the paper tray. Store the
photo paper so it does not start to curl, which could reduce the quality of your printout.

Source

Otherwise, I recommend that you try the steps within these guides to check for an obstruction and to clean the rollers again. 

If all else fails we can try the Semi-Full Reset. I can send you that information in a private message. In the forum beside your handle name just click on the envelope to view it.

If you completed all the preceding steps and your product still has an issue, service the product.

Contacting HP for service in all countries/regions except Asia Pacific.
First, go to Check your product warranty to check your printer warranty status, and then go to Contact HP Support to find an authorized service dealer or to schedule a repair.
Check Warranty Status: http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/wc/public/home 
Repair fees might apply for out-of-warranty printers.
What you can do, is use the following link to create yourself a case number, then call and it may help speed up the call process: 
Step 1. Open link: http://support.hp.com/us-en/contact-hp
Step 2. Enter Product number or select to auto detect 
Step 3. Scroll down to "Still need help? Complete the form to select your contact options" 
Step 4. Scroll down and click on HP contact options - click on Get phone number 
Case number and phone number appear. 

I hope this information is helpful. Please respond to this post with the results. Good Luck! 

Drakster
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the thumbs up" button!

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.