Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP Envy 4520
Mac OS X 10.11 El Capitan

My HP Envy was previously set up on my network, and we had no issues printing with it wirelessly through two Macs, a variety of iOS devices, and a few HP/Android devices (all running the most up to date OS). Recently however there has been a myriad of problems:

-The printer refuses to stay connected to the network. I have set it up probably a good ten times now on the network. I go through the process of setting up a new network on the printer, it works for a little while, go to bed, leave the house, come back and the printer says it is on the network, but none of my devices can find it.

-The printer says it is connected, but cant connect to the web. Related to the last bit, once the network has been set up (using WPS) it works fine, then when I print out the wireless diagnostic it says it cannot connect to the web

-The printer sometimes flat out can't find the network. I've had the printer at a variety of locations, ranging from right next to the router to about 10 meters away. The first time I move it it seems to work, then once I come back to it - poof! - it cant find the network, even though other devices register a full strength connection.

The printer does not get turned off between uses, I only use the power saver mode. Running it with updated OS devices, on a Bell modem/router network.

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Hi @BDFreer

Welcome to the HP Support Forums. 

When it comes to issues with wireless connections, I find that the following steps/document/solution has worked well for many.

Before going through the whole document, try the following:
Reset the printer and the wireless router
  1. Press the Power button on your printer to turn it off.
  2. Disconnect the power cord from the rear of the printer and also from the wall outlet, extension cable, or surge protector.
  3. Disconnect the power cord from the wireless router.
  4. Wait 30 seconds.
  5. Reconnect the power cord to the wireless router.
  6. Wait 30 seconds or until the router is fully on and ready.
  7. Reconnect the power cord to the rear of the printer.
  8. Reconnect the power cord directly to a wall outlet.  NOTE: If the printer's power cord is connected to a surge protector or extension cord, the printer could be losing its connection to the network due to a power deficiency.
  9. Turn on the printer.

Let me know if those steps worked for you. If they did, that’s awesome! Give us some reinforcement by hitting the solution and kudos buttons, that’ll help us and others see that we’ve got the answers!
Aardvark1
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" on the right to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended

I have had the same problem with the printer and scanner constantly needing reinstallation. What the hell is wrong with this rubbish product of yours?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.