Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I hate forums because smarty pants make fun of my simple questions.... I dont know much about computer or printers so I can only do my best so I just want a straight answer. Please! My brand new HP Envy 5530 is having an issue with printing black, I did the test and it worked fine. However when I  did the alignment test it failed to recognize my alignment test.  The black ink is new right out of the package. Can any one help me? I see others on the forum are having the same issue. Is it the ink? Is it the alignment test? What?  I really dont understand. The black ink works in the test print. However when I go to print an actual document i.e. boarding pass it doesn't work. Sorry for the typos.

HP Recommended

help needed from HP

HP Recommended

Hello, Really HP, 

@Ciara_B wrote:

@kamikaze1988 

So when you print out a Diagnostic page there is no black? What is the warranty ends date on the cartridge? Try taking the black cartridge out and leaving it to sit 'nozzles up' for a couple of hours and then re-install it. Failing that I'd suggest calling HP Phone Support about this.

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03743678

Image: Cartridge with nozzles facing up

Wty ends dates.jpg

@Ciara_B wrote:

@kamikaze1988 

So when you print out a Diagnostic page there is no black? What is the warranty ends date on the cartridge? Try taking the black cartridge out and leaving it to sit 'nozzles up' for a couple of hours and then re-install it. Failing that I'd suggest calling HP Phone Support about this.

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03743678

Image: Cartridge with nozzles facing up

Wty ends dates.jpg

your vendor Best Buy is distributing this product! Is the ink out of date? There should be a serious reduction in price!!!!

HP Recommended

I have a 5530 Envy with exactly the same problem.  Ink levels showing full, cleaned the printhead, recallibrated it and no joy.  Then I took the black cartridge out of the printer gave it a vigorous shake for about 20 seconds and put it back in.  This seemed to do the trick for me.

HP Recommended

having which sounds like exactly the same fault,brand new printer too,i think ill take it back and see if they can sort it?if not i will get money back.;

HP Recommended

So let me understand.  You work for HP, you list yourself as regentsprofessor, you read a string of postings by frustrated HP customers whose printers print black fine on everything but Word, but doesn't print on Word, and your solution for customers with defective printers is to offer a deal on cartridges?  Are you, by any chance, related to Marie Antoinette?  I still have yet to see anyone from HP answer the question regarding why this printer works on black and color printing off the web or other sources, but prints black and white Word documents blank.  Maybe someone at HP could try and replicate this issue in their shop and get back to us.  For those of you who have suggested that the cartridge is bad when it prints fine in black and white from other non-Word sources or prints color(which would almost always include some black) seems completely unhelpful.  

HP Recommended
Spoiler

I tried the cartridge upside down over night and it did work. I might add that i also ran the cleaning options on the menu and that i gently the excess black ink from the cartridge head with my fingers. 

HP Recommended

Alignment worked okay straight out of the box, but I could not get black ink to print on documents.  (maybe I was missing some black on the alignment, but there was dark ink on it).  Photos seemed fine, but had issues with text.

Read post about problem with cartridge, and turning upside down for a while or shaking.  I chose the shaking option, and shook until ink actuall slung out.  wiped off cartridge and ran alignment.  Text had empty lines through it, so ran 3 printer status reports.  Probably could have just printed anything to get black ink flowing.  I noticed the empty lines in the larger text going away a little more each time.

after three times, it was all good.

Guess some of the cartridges out of the package are just bad, but not so bad you have to throw out. Just need to persuade the ink to come out.

HP Recommended

HP Recommended

We have had 2 Hp 5520s for several years now and just last week the one we are using in our home, suddenly quit printing. I put in a new cartridge and same thing. It will print in color, but not black. It is not only Word docs, but Excel as well. I thought it might be the Office products but won't print a 'Note' either. We run MacBook Pro's w/ OSX, but it has been printing with that OS for a couple of months now. 

Cattlegap

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.