Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Bought a HP Envy 5530 off the shelf 2 days ago. Printed a few pictures just to test it out, worked great. Typed a document in Microsoft Word 2010 and tried to print. Printer produced only a blank page on several tries. Switched font color to anything other than black and it works fine. I am absolutely clueless, but would really appreciate any help. 

I have searched these forums without any luck. Have also run the HP Print and Scan Doctor and it even says everything is fine. Computer is running Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit. Thanks again in advance. 

26 REPLIES 26
HP Recommended
Hello,

Need to check first if black ink is printing. Please refer to the link below and see if these steps help.

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03765731
Although I am an HP employee, I am speaking for myself and not for HP.

*Say thanks by clicking the "Kudos! Star" which is on the left*
Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with "Accept as Solution" if it solves your issue
HP Recommended

I just brought the same printer home, brand new.  Having the same problem.  There is no black ink in the print.  Color prints just fine.

HP Recommended
I should have mentioned, the solutions in the link above do not work.
HP Recommended

I too bought the same printer with the same exact problem.  I bought the printer off the shelf, took it home, then set it up a few days later.  Again, the color photos print great but it will not print documents with black ink.

The only way to fix the problem is buying a new black ink cartridge, which is what I didn't want to do and why I signed up for the "Instant Ink" plan.  

This is a new printer and shouldn't have to be doing this.  Can there be anything done outside of buying a new ink cartridge?  I have followed all the troubleshooting steps already outlined/documented. 

HP Recommended

I don't think your black cartridge is bad.  I did exactly as you did.  I bought the hp 5530 intending to switch to instantink when the cartridges that came with the printer ran out.  I installed the drivers on two different macbooks and tried to print a test Word doc from each laptop.  Printed blank each time.  Then tried a Word doc with color print.  Printed fine.  Then printed an Amazon receipt that had both color and black.  Color and black printed fine.  When I set up the printer, the alignment print also had black that printed ok.  So I don't think its the black cartridge.  But when I set that alignment sheet on the scanner, it said that it couldn't recognize it.  I don't know if that is the same issue or different.  In any event, the only time when the printer is not printing black seems to be when I am trying to print a Word doc.  Does anyone from HP ever come on these forums and answer troubleshooting questions, or is it just the consumers fumbling for themselves?  In any event, this seems to be a common problem unrelated to a cartridge defect.  Needless to say, I have restarted the laptops and printer and re-installed the printer software a couple times with no change.  HP, what is going on?  Both my macbooks have OSX that your printer is supposed to support.  

HP Recommended

Has anyone found a solution yet?  I bought an Envy 5530 yesterday, and am having the exact same problem.  The test page prints all colors fine, but when I try to print a regular document from MS Word, black fonts do not print. I should mention that I also had the issue where the scanner could not read the alignment test page at first try, but seemed to read it the second time.  If not resolved, I will have to take it back.

HP Recommended

just got home with my new printer also and guess what same problem prints images etc fine but won't print any text!!! in any formate what so ever. really handy as i need to print out some invoices by tommorow morning and there doesn't seem to be a solution anywhere. hp SORT IT OUT!!!!

HP Recommended

@kamikaze1988 

So when you print out a Diagnostic page there is no black? What is the warranty ends date on the cartridge? Try taking the black cartridge out and leaving it to sit 'nozzles up' for a couple of hours and then re-install it. Failing that I'd suggest calling HP Phone Support about this.

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03743678

Image: Cartridge with nozzles facing up

Wty ends dates.jpg

I am speaking for myself and not for HP. Twitter: @Ciara_B_27
HP Recommended

Just FYI, if you're interested in the Instant Ink program check out the link below.....

www.instantink.com

Instant Ink_2.jpg

I am speaking for myself and not for HP. Twitter: @Ciara_B_27
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.