Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

We have had 2 Hp 5520s for several years now and just last week the one we are using in our home, suddenly quit printing. I put in a new cartridge and same thing. It will print in color, but not black. It is not only Word docs, but Excel as well. I thought it might be the Office products but won't print a 'Note' either. We run MacBook Pro's w/ OSX, but it has been printing with that OS for a couple of months now. 

Cattlegap

HP Recommended

Just swapped the printers out and the printer I just connected printed fine. Had not been used in about 8-12 months. Ink cartridges still good. ?????????????????????? Very puzzling. We have always had HP printers, but wife has never really liked these 5500 series. I have never had a problem with them until now. 

Cattlegap

PS -- reason for my "handle" in this forum is that everything else I tried associated with my name initials were already taken! Must be a million people who are members of this forum.

HP Recommended

Yes, will not print with black ink. As a stop gap measure, we have put the printer in single cartridge mode. It prints out in black ink. It will use up the color cartridge ink very quickly.  Meanwhile, we are smacking the cartridges and putting them upside down over night.

The store where I bought the HP Envy 5530 said that I should get another printer.  We are saving the ink for important documents. The rest will be pdf -ed onto a stick and taken to the library or staples or fedex.

HP Recommended

<<< SOLUTION >>>

This is quite an old thread but if anyone is still running into issues trying to print some documents I may have a solution.

1. Try converting the document to a PDF format and printing again. (This didn't work for me because mine wouldn't print as a word document or PDF, but worth a try)

2. Open the document in Adobe Acrobat Reader (free adobe program: https://get.adobe.com/reader/) and try printing it again. 

3. If step 2 didn't work then try printing it as an image inside Adobe Acrobat Reader. Here are the steps for my version of Acrobat Reader (version 2015.020.20042). File -> Print -> Advanced -> Check 'Print As Image' -> Ok -> Print. (This was my solution and was finally able to print the document!)

4. If none of the above steps worked, try calling HP and getting a new printer.. Although I did this and they sent me an equally defective printer that is still a piece of crap.. I'm on printer number 3 😕

HP Recommended

I had a simliar problen, however is was about two to three months before I used my printer. Well heres what I did

I removed the black ink caritage out

I ran hot water on a towel

I place e the caritage on the towel  ink nozzle facing down on the towel and pressing down on the towel.

I did this about three or four times until the ink start to come out.

I dried it for with another towl and placed it back and it started to print black.

Note: only treat the nozzle where the ink comes out from  with hot towel DO NOT WET THE electrical contacts  DRY OFF WELL  HOPE THIS SOLVES YOUR PROBLEMS GOOD LUCK

HP Recommended

I had a similiar problem with a new cartridge not printing in black, but printing fine in color. I used this method of getting the ink to bleed onto a hot moist towel and it worked perfectly.

Thank you for the tip. Hopefully others read this and save themselves alot of hassle. Its basically the same thing as getting the tip of your pen damp when it drys out.

HP Recommended

@Kemp_040,

Welcome to HP Forums, this is a great place to get support, find answers and tips.

I understand that you had an issue with your HP ENVY 5530 e-All-in-One Printer not printing in black which got resolved after getting the ink to bleed on a hot moist towel.

I am happy to know that the issue has resolved.

I also appreciate your time and patience.

Feel free to ask your queries as this forum has some of the best people in the world available and ready to help.

You have a good day ahead.

Rainbow23 - HP Support.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.