Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

When I try to print something my Officejet 4500 gives the message to load paper even though there is paper in the tray.  It seems that the paper isn't being fed into the printer even though I can hear it trying to grab a piece of paper.  Any suggestions on how to correct this issue?  The printer has hardly been used.

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hi - typically this is due to a build up of dust or paper dust on the feed rollers and just requires that the rollers be cleaned.  Try following the steps in this document.

Hope that helps.

Say Thanks by clicking the Kudos thumbs up. Please mark the post that solves your problem as an Accepted Solution so other forum users can utilize the solution.

I am an HP employee.
HP Recommended
this printer has had trouble feeding paper since it was brand new. It will not feed at all now. I have followed all of the clean rollers and paper jam instructions to no avail. The message is OUT OF PAPER. My printer has gray rollers on the back set, not black like in the demo machine on the website. Do these rollers need replacement?
HP Recommended

Hi mdriz

The rollers inside the printer aren't a replaceable part, the printer would need to be serviced.

Here is a document to check the paper specifications

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01954185

Since you have followed the full document for paper feeding issues then I would recommend to call HP Tech Support for further assistance to see what other options are available for you.
http://www8.hp.com/us/en/contact-hp/ww-contact-us.html

Gemini02

I work on behalf of HP

Click the Thumbs Up below to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended

Your crack support team wants $70 to offer an solution.

I was able to pix the problem on my own.

1)  Clean the back rollers with a moist cloth per your website instructions

2)  Wind a piece of duct tape inside out around your index finger.

3)  Roll each roller upward using the duct tape to make each slightly tacky.    

This solved a long-standing problem with this printer.

HP Recommended

4500 wonty take paper on it's own, will take paper if hand jamed into it.

HP Recommended

Hi, I had this problem as well. Ended up the problem was rather hard to solve. What I found :

1) the paper was hard to pass through to the upper deck even of the paper stop mechanism at the back of the tray was removed

2) the point where the shaft was attached to the encoder disk was broken and loose, making up for a weak joint, causing the shaft to slip and not turning at the gear's speed.

What I did :

1) fixed the encoder disk - shaft joint with expoxy glue

2) lightly sanded the back stop clip, the one which felt a little coarse, in order for the paper to slip easier. Turned up I overdid it, so, I went back and created some slight grooves with a knife.

Now the question : upon disassembly/re-assembly this :

fell off, and could not figure out where it goes.

Anyone has any idea?

HP Recommended

my j4550 wont take in paper and keeps saying to load paper. seems that the feeder roller does not roll in the paper. how do you fix this. it is not dirty.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.