Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
OfficeJet Pro 550K dtn
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I am unable to access the EWS for the printer. It is connected by Ethernet. The IP Adress is 192.168.10.100. I have typed it into Firefox, Chrome and IE. The page times out. I have tried USB, tried thru the router, and tried  direct thru a ethernet crossover cable. I have tried from a Windows 7 machine and Windows 10 machines. This started when I upgraded to a Netgear R7500 Nighthawk router. It uses an IP of 192.168.1.1   I beleive I need to get into the printer to assign it a static IP in the router's range. Any suggestions would be appreciated. The manual for the printer indicates it can be done from the install disc. Unfortunately the disc does not support any OS after XP. The disc dumps out as soon as it see a newer OS.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

If you can print through the old router, you should be able to access the printer's Embedded Web Server. Once there, set the printer to obtain an automatic IP Address. If there is an option to restore network defaults, do that as well.

Once done, you should be able to connect the printer to the new router. If the printer is still not connecting properly then on the network, open all ports, enable multicasting, and disable MAC filtering/cloning. Also, if the router is broadcasting a guest network, disable it. The guest network won't affect the printer as it's wired, but if your computers are on a guest network then they won't be able to communicate with the printer.

Please let me know if this allows you to print.

~DocCottle
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” below the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution.

Please click the Thumbs up icon below to say “Thanks” for helping!

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Hey @KT57,

Welcome to the HP Support Forums!

I see that you are having some issues with printing wirelessly from your Windows PCs to your Officejet Pro k550 Color Printer. To access the printer's embedded web pages the only way to do so would be to have a Windows XP or earlier operating system. That said, you may be able to print by setting up printer sharing from a PC instead. To setup printer sharing:

1. Connect the printer to the Windows PC that will be using the printer the most or a PC that remains powered on all of the time using a USB cable.
  2. Open the Devices and Printers window.
  3. Click on Add Printer and follow the prompts. When you see an option to enable Print sharing, select to enable it.

At this point you should be able to print from all of your Windows PCs by opening your Printers and Devices window and clicking on Add Printer. Please note that the PC that is connected to the printer through the USB cable needs to be powered on in Windows or else none of the devices can print to it.

Please let me know the results after following the above. If you are able to print, please click on Accept Solution. If you appreciate my help, please click on the thumbs up icon. Both icons are below this post.

~DocCottle
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” below the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution.

HP Recommended

The printer is ethernet only. I attempted to follow your instructions. I cannot add it as a printer. It simply does not see/recognize the 550. The error message I get is that the print spooler/server is turned off. I have turned off/unplugged the printer several times. I have used different USB cables. I have used 2 differnt laptops. Apparently the problem is with the printer.

The printer worked fine with the Trendnet router, and as stated started with the installation of the Netgear Nighthawk. We reistalled the Trendnet temporarily and the printer worked. However we need the Nighthawk's range.

I may have to go find an XP machine or give up and get a new printer.

HP Recommended

Hey, any luck with following my directions as an alternative to working over the network?

~DocCottle
I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended

No. When attempting to add a printer, it does not "see" the 550 K. I have attempted from 2 differnt laptops both Windows 10 via USB. I have tried 2 differnt cables as well. Do you have any nore thoughts?  The printer is not wireless. It is ethernet  or USB only.

HP Recommended

If you can print through the old router, you should be able to access the printer's Embedded Web Server. Once there, set the printer to obtain an automatic IP Address. If there is an option to restore network defaults, do that as well.

Once done, you should be able to connect the printer to the new router. If the printer is still not connecting properly then on the network, open all ports, enable multicasting, and disable MAC filtering/cloning. Also, if the router is broadcasting a guest network, disable it. The guest network won't affect the printer as it's wired, but if your computers are on a guest network then they won't be able to communicate with the printer.

Please let me know if this allows you to print.

~DocCottle
I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended

Thanks for your help. By using the old rounter I was able to access the EWS. The printer was set to manual config. Changed it auto config. Had to delete and install new standard TCP/IP ports on one of the computers and we are back printing. (point of reference: remove power from old router as soon as you are done using it. It can interfere with the Nighthawk, leading you to think you have lost your internet connection) 🙂 I hope this helps someone with a similar situation.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.