Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
OfficeJet Pro 7740
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

How do I get the printer to auto-selct the tray once I select a certain size (Leter vs. Tabloid) I'm printing both letter and tabloid forms and don't want to have to select a Tray 2 each time I need to print a Tabloid. I'm being told this is a problem with the HP printers, but the last thread I saw was from 2013. Has this issue never been fixed or am I just going abiut it wrong?

16 REPLIES 16
HP Recommended

Hi,

Swipe your finger from the top to the bottom of the screen, then tap the Gear icon to access the Setup menu.

Next tap on Tray and Paper Management.

Select Paper Settings and then set the proper Paper Size and Type for each of the trays.

Ensure the Paper Tray is set as Automatic and select the required paper size within theh Printing Preferences pane, the tray will be selected accordingly for the specific print job.

Regards,

Shlomi

Click the Yes button to reply that the response was helpful or to say thanks.
If my post resolve your problem please mark it as an Accepted Solution 🙂
HP Recommended

There is no option to set the paper tray as automatic. There is however a selection "Printer Auto Select". Still no go though. Even with that selected, I'm getting an error message on the touchscreen that says "The paper size detected by the printer in Tray 1 does not match the paper size selected (Tabloid (11x17in.)) for the print job. Make sure the paper size is correct to continue the job. Touch X to cancel"

I've already selected the paper sizes as directed in your previous response for each of the trays.

HP Recommended

I'm having the same issue and same error message. Actually had to upgrade my windows from 8.0 to 8.1. Removed the HP software and reinstalled it.

The only way it prints to 17x11 is to switch the paper between trays and reset the paper sizes to match the tray. But, the paper never comes from tray 2! No matter what size of paper I use. This is so frustrating. I tempted to take it back and get a different brand. This printer should not be on the market if the driver does not work. Do I have the updated driver or firmware? I have checked and it seems to be the latest. I reinstalled teh printer from on-line the 2nd time rather than rely on the CD drivers.

HELP!

HP Recommended

I am having the same problem, and it's really annoying. Please help fix it.

HP Recommended

Your solution doesn't work.

HP Recommended

Just bought this printer and it seemed to work fine at first now auto tray selection is not working for 11x17 paper even though have confirmed on the printer the paper size is set correctly auto selection checked and in the driver software also identified tray 2 as the tabloid paper.

However printing it says the say error wrong paper size in Tray 1.

HP needs to correct this issue, bought this unit for the 11 x 17 printing as well as other printing and to have to specifically select tray 2 for printing is BS

HP Recommended
I noticed that it depends on software your are printing from. Adobe reader prints PDF fine but Bluebeam does not. Try different programs to see what works best. Make sure the printer and printer program settings match the paper used in the trays.

Good luck
HP Recommended

Hi,

Please watch the following video on how to configure the Print Settings for Auto- Select of media (from Tray 1 or 2) for printnig:

Configure Print Settings on HP Officejet Pro 7740

If you need to install the printer software wirelessly, watch this.

Hope that helps!

I am an HP Employee. Although I am speaking for myself and not for HP.
Click Helpful = Yes to say Thank You.
Question / Concern Answered, Click "Accept as Solution"

HP Recommended

Had the same problem. Here is the solution i found.

Go to the printer screen/Options/tray and paper management. Now make the tray 2 (which is filled with 11x17 paper) your default screen.

When you print now, you can select from the drop down screen on your pc or lapton the paper you need to print on (8x11 or 11x17) Because you have set the default screen to tray 2 the printer somehow will now know to pick the right tray to print.

If you leave tray 1 (filled with 8x11) as a default screen you will get the error message when trying to print 11x17.

Hope this helps.

MD

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.