Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I just got an HP Officejet Pro 8600 Plus printer, and it will not recognize photo paper. The photo paper is HP brand, glossy everyday photo paper, and when i load it into the paper tray, the printer brings up the message "out of paper". I inserted the paper glossy side down. If it is inserted glossy side up, the printer prints on the wrong side of the paper. Why wont it load the photo paper and print on it?

142 REPLIES 142
HP Recommended

Hi,

Please make sure that the media and the paper tray are loaded correct.

check whether correct paper type and size is selected in the printer driver settings:

To do that please got to Printers >> Right click on the printer icon >> select "Printer Preferences"

Under "Paper/Quality"tab, make sure correct paper type and sizes are selected.

If the issue persists, then please try changing the media type. You can also perform the steps provided in the below doc,

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c02920174

Hope the provided information helps you!

Although I am an HP employee, I am speaking for myself and not for HP.

Say “Thanks!” by clicking Kudos Star next to the Post that helps you.

Mark this Post “Accept as Solution” to say your issue is solved.

Note: You can find “Accept as Solution” only on threads started by you.

HP Recommended

@Kimaira wrote:

I just got an HP Officejet Pro 8600 Plus printer, and it will not recognize photo paper. The photo paper is HP brand, glossy everyday photo paper, and when i load it into the paper tray, the printer brings up the message "out of paper". I inserted the paper glossy side down. If it is inserted glossy side up, the printer prints on the wrong side of the paper. Why wont it load the photo paper and print on it?

I have the same problem with the HP Officejet Pro 8600 Plus.  It will not print HP Premium Plus Photo Paper.  I receive a message of Out of Paper.  I spoke to the HP tech on the phone and he could not fix it.  I can print this photo paper just fine on the Kodak Hero printer.

I wish HP would fix this issue.  I would like an HP tech to obtain some HP photo paper and try printing with it on the HP Officejet Pro 8600 Plus.

HP Recommended

Same problem...

Prints fine on HP Premium Plus 4x6

Prints fine on Kodak 8.5x11 Picture Paper

Prints fine on plain paper

Prints fine on HP Brochure paper

Prints fine on HP Premium Plus 5x7

Always gives a Paper Out  error with HP Advanced Photo Paper 5x7...

As above, if I load the paper incorrectly, face up, it tries to print on the wrong side.

It appears that the bar coding on the back of the paper is being detected and stops the process.  

PLEASE HP...  Fix this obvious bug.  I already regret buying this otherwise fine unit but have wasted a couple of hours and lots of paper trying to make it work... 

HP Recommended

I have the exact same problem as everyone else here, doe's anyone from HP ever read these posts???

HP Recommended

I have exactly the same problem. The printer can't load the photo paper.
However I found the bypass, that is to select the 'Card Stock' as media.

Anyway, so disappointed with the current problem. Hope HP can fix it asap.

HP Recommended

I too am having the same issue.  I was able to once trick the machine into feeding a heavier stock photo quality paper, but that was it.  Just once.  I had to put in plain stock, change the settings to plain stock of course, then after that, I put in the paper I wanted to print on, some costco kirkland brand photo paper and then change the settings to 'other photo paper' and print.  It got one to print hoping that this was just something lingering from sensors not knowing what paper was being fed.  

But now after re-attemting a number of times, I can get nothing but plain paper to feed and print.   

Sorry HP, it's going back to Staples.  I love your bw lasers, but can anyone make a decent ink jet anymore?  

HP Recommended

Do not use HP photo paper.   Use Kodak photo paper and it works fine.    Anyway it is nice to use that Kodak paper we were used to as kids for our pictures.

HP Recommended

Same problem here with "HP Premium Plus Photo Paper". The paper stays in the tray and it doesn't print.

When I remove the paper tray the paper sheets are slightly pulled up.

HP Recommended

Hmm, after some experiments it may be that I have found a solution.

I have no second tray installed, but the windows device manager states that there is one. May be, that this confuses the printer driver somehow.

To disable the second tray:

In the start menu go to devices and printers.

Right click the HP Officejet Pro 8600.

Select Printer Properties.

Than the Device Settings tab.

Set "Tray 2" to "Not installed" in "Installable Options"

After that change, I have four successful photos printed, which was absolutely impossible some hours ago.

Does this work for you?

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.