Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

YES! YES! YES! :OpenSmile: IT WORKED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HP Recommended

Yes, simply feeding a hundred sheets or so through is all that was needed to get the machine to feed and print photo paper. Thanks for the tip!

HP Recommended
Feeding 99 sheets worked for me as well. Thanks for the hints...
HP Recommended

I can print on letter size photo paper, but 4 x 6 will not feed 😞 ... does anybody have a solution for that?

HP Recommended

> remove all 8 1/2  X  11 paper from tray

> load the 4"  X  6" photo paper into back of tray and adjust guides accordingly

> close tray

> PRINT screen will be modified to   4  X  6  , premium photo paper

> at this point you should be set to go!

HP Recommended

I had this issue with an HP OfficeJet Pro 8600 I bought in Nov. 2013.  I tried printing photos for the first time today.  The other workarounds mentioned above didn't work for me.  I also upgraded the printer driver and that didn't help.  I checked the HP driver downloads site and saw that a newer version of printer firmware was available - my printer was running CLP1CN1150CR and the latest was CLP1CN1322CR.  After upgrading the firmware, the problem was resolved.

HP Recommended

Unfortunately that does not work for me  because there is no mention of the second tray when I look at the printer properties on my screen.  

My tale is much like those that I've read.  My first 8600 recorded "out of paper" with even ordinary print paper.  I returned that one to the store only to find that the replacement recorded "out of paper" when I tried to use either photo or card stock paper.  A case manager decided that I needed a replacement and thus I am now on my THIRD 8600, still with absolutely the same issue. Subsequently,  I have been promised by agents and supervisors that a case manager would call me; the phone number and extention number I've been given for a case manager leaves me on hold for an hour plus (on three occasions).

Over the past three weeks I have spoken with innumerable agents, technicians, senior technicians, supervisors and case managers.  What I find absolutely astonishing is that not one of them has even hinted that this is as common a problem with the 8600 as it apparently is.  Do you not all find it amazing that with the number of folks who are having exactly the same problem, HP has kept completely quiet about it?

HP Recommended

I went through a bunch of changes and was about to give up. Then I read the one about bending the back bar and tried that. Did not work. Then I put scotch tape on each side of the middle of Hp 4x6 photo paper and tried that. That did not work. I took out all but three photo papers and put tape across the end of the other two pieces of tape, and that worked. I took out the other photo paper and just put tape across the end and they worked and then tried one without tape and it worked. I only played  with this  about six hours before I tried this. I guess the printer will work. The pictures were beautiful.

HP Recommended

From my point of view, although I give you much credit for your perserverance, it is absolutely ridiculous that one should have to go through such machinations.  

I solved the problem in a different way: I sent the 8600 back to HP and traded it for an 8100.  I don't need the other three funcitons, I just wanted a printer.  The 8100 has a setting for photo paper which works just fine. I had an HP 8000 which would print on photo paper, card stock, etc. simply by putting the paper in the tray. I mistakingly assumed that is the way a printer is supposed to function.

I continue to give HP poor marks for not adressing the photo paper issue with the 8600 rather than assuming that customers will spend hours trying to fix HP's error. I have registered this complaint with HP and received a phone call in response saying that they woul "look into it".

HP Recommended

I had a HP 3200 printer before and got this printer as a present in TX while there for Christmas and live in OH. Also I am very old and just wanted it to work. I have faith in HP and thought at first it was my fault not knowing how to work it. Back in the days computers and software took hours to fix problems. I am one of those people that hope to do alot with a computer and printer and never seem to do anything. I just tried to print some pictures and found out the it did not work. I am retired and have the time, but do expect more from HP.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.