Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I removed the colour cartridge and was able to print documents in black and white.

HP Recommended

I bought new HP 901xl black ink.....i can not get it to go in printer...what do i do??

HP Recommended
My experience is that in the OLD HP printers, the printhead was considered to be part of the printer and was not something that I ever had to replace (I've been using HP printers for over 20 years). Now, with the last three or four I've owned, I've had to fix a printing problem by buying a new printhead from HP and installing it. That does, sometimes, solve the problem, but I am not very happy with HP for lowering their quality standards as concerns printers. I have often found it simpler to just buy a new PRINTER on sale than deal with the headache of a non-working printer AFTER having spent hours on the phone with HP customer service AND having spent good money on a printhead and print cartridges that I will never again be able to use.
Try buying a new printhead and hope that solves the problem!
HP Recommended

@louwhoo wrote:

I bought new HP 901xl black ink.....i can not get it to go in printer...what do i do??

The document here may help.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button 

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

HP Recommended

@Strino78 wrote:

Same here.... OfficeJet 4500 G510-n Wireless, less than a year old.  Has 267 prints on it since purchased in August 2011.  Replaced original "trial" cartridge with a 901 XL.  After a month with XL cartridge and about 50 prints.. I get "Cartridge is empty or refilled" and "Incompatible Cartridge" errors.  With the 901XL being a high capacity cartridge... there's no way its empty after only 50 prints.  NO WAY!  NO WAY!   Printer will do alignment prints without any issues, on the "supposedly" empty cartridge, but will not let me print anything. Really annoying and frustrating.  I did all the trouble shooting myself, and it still took HP phone support  over an hour to agree to send me a replacement.

Found quite a few complaints with HP products mysteriously quit working or recognizing legitimate ink cartridges... and outright refusing to work with refills...   this OfficeJet 4500 is the LAST HP product to ever enter my household.   PCs, Notebooks, Tablets, Printers.... you name it... if its HP.. its not getting a second look from this guy.

Just giving an update and some personal opinion here...

Thanks HP for sending me another printer, with new cartridges included.  I understand why you sent me a new printer.. because you can't publicly admit that your printers discriminate against refilled cartridges. I also have my own sort of proof.  Your original solution to my problem was to send me new printer with cartridges, and the tech told me not to bother sending the old printer back.  When I received the replacement printer -- I went on a hunch.. I put the "new" cartridge in the old printer, and the printer worked!   The *new* printer didn't like the 901XL cartidge I had.. it called it a refill as it had before.. and took a crap.  I put the new cartridge in the new printer... and it worked again as if nothing had ever happened.  Wow.. bonus.. two printers..  I only need one...  and I couldn't give the **bleep** thing away!   Into a box it went, stored in the corner of my office.

Well.. I ran out of ink again.. surprise surprise. I had my suspicions based on what happened - so I went on a theory..  if I buy a genuine 901XL.. and a refilled HP brand cartridge.... the printer will work fine on the genuine and will hate the refilled HP cartridge.  I bought the genuine cartridge at Office Depot, and I also bought a refilled 901XL from a long-term local seller..has been around for years!  I started with the refilled cartridge -- sure enough.. about 50 or so prints in.. it takes a crap again with the same errors:  "Cartrige is empty or refilled" and "Incompatible Cartridge".    I unpacked the original 4500 they told me to keep... put the 901XL refill in there..   it prints out test pages and all that fancy stuff -- but sure enough, it won't print anything from the PC... it works in every other fashion.. FAX/SCANNER/COPIER..  but it simply won't print from the OS.  I put the NEW OE HP901XL in the "original" printer, and it worked perfectly the same as before.  Now I direct my attention to the "replacement" printer that I had been using since HP sent it to me.  I put the NEW HP901XL in, and as if nothing happened..... the printer is happier than a pig in **bleep**!... it works...

I ASK YOU HP...  WHAT ARE THE ODDS THAT I'D ENCOUNTER TWO BAD CARTRIDGES IN LESS THAN ONE YEAR, ON TWO SEPARATE OCCASSIONS, FROM TWO SEPARATE VENDORS?  Seems pretty far fetched to me.

Your software/firmware is bugged.. and denying users the right to use ANY compatible cartridge they want -- particularly OE equivalent refills.   

I'd really hate to be HP...  {Content Removed: legal discussion}.. printer's firmware specifically alienates againts 'refilled' cartridges -- why else would you have that sort of error message hardcoded into the firmware?   It is completely unethical.  The customer has the right to choose between buying a genuine part or an OE equivalent.

HP may have duped me into buying one last cartridge from them -- but it is the last dime they ever get.   I plan to retire both printers with a shotgun after this cartridge runs out.  Goodbye HP.

HP Recommended

I've had a few issues with HP ink cartridges lately and while I purchase refilled cartridges I've not had any problems until this spring. my first time I took the cartaridge back and the replaced it but lately its been happening more. just last week I installed both black and tri-color at the same time and while it gave me 4 days of printing then I had a ink cartaridge  problem. the software told me it was an incompatible cartridge. I tried the usual solutions like powering down and cleaning the contacts along with disconnecting power supply for 10 minutes to no avail. so I started looking at updates and found one installed 3 months ago that had to do with identification. when i uninstalled it all my cartaridge problems disappeared so I would check with recent updates if you still have problems. I'm not to trusting with these companies but on the other hand I try to give them the benifit of the doubt so there may be just a bug in their update but I will not allow any updates without close observation any more.  

HP Recommended

I just had this happen yesterday (8/3/2012).  I cleaned the tri-color, reinserted it, and for the first time it seemed to work.

After that everytime i turn it on, it gave me that error that everyone's SOO familiar with (OP's subject topic), and the only way to make it happy is to remove the color cartridge.

The Tri-color feels heavier than the black, so I know there's still ink in there!  Both cartridges are orginals, and I only had it for about 2 months doing less than a few jobs per week, so overloading it isn't an issue.

I'll try the rubbing it with IB alcohol with a cue-tip to see if that fixes it, and I also noticed that the printhead doesnt set back exactly where it should, it's an inch off, so I have to manually set it back before I can remove the cartridge.

I bought this one because my old one was about 12 years old, has survived MANY moves, and just now started to not feed paper (PSC-1350xi).

Any other help would be grateful.

-bbrixon

HP Recommended

yes

HP Recommended

how to fix this problem??

HP Recommended

I repeated what you did, removed the color cartridge and it is printing black and white. I insert the color, it gives same error - tricolor, refer to to documentation to troubleshoot.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.