Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

i have facing the print cartridge tri colour problem

HP Recommended

@sagumali wrote:

i have facing the print cartridge tri colour problem

Have you tried cleaning the contacts on the cartridge?

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01953073

I am speaking for myself and not for HP. Twitter: @Ciara_B_27
HP Recommended

My color cartridge now refuses to work at all, regardless of spit, hot breath, Q-tip, coffee-filter, distilled water, whatever.  The printer will work (printing black only) with the color cartridge taken out, and still scans.  Or it did yesterday, anyway.

HP Recommended

So if it's still within warranty I'd suggest calling support as you may need a replacement. The warranty ends date is lasermarked on the cartridge YYYY/MM/DD....

Wty ends dates.jpg

I am speaking for myself and not for HP. Twitter: @Ciara_B_27
HP Recommended

Extremely close study of the cartridge with a large magnifying glass did not reveal anything I could recognize as a date.  The following un-datelike inscriptions were visible: '(HP logo) HP Tri-color Print Cartridge (three large colored dots) (line) 901' (second column) '(half-moon thing) Ink may be harmful if swallowed.  Intended for single use only.  CC656A.  (mystical QR code)'.  That's on the top, so to speak.  On the machine-facing side, where there is some circuitry, there are

two slight depressions 3-4 mm across; one is blank, the other has an 'A'.  On the opposite side, there is a small irregularity which does not appear to contain alphabetic characters; they may be Chinese, Japanese, runes, or random, but in any case are unrecognizable.  On the bottom, one 'step' down from the contacts, are '>PET-GIF15 PUR<' and 'SE11' .  The former is in a slight depression in the form of a rounded rectangle, and the latter in a circle.  'PET-GIF15' may be underlined, and there may be a period between it and 'PUR'.  I hope this helps, or at least amuses.

HP Recommended
I ALWAYS buy genuine HP ink cartridges and have this issue all the time. I find it offensive that someone was on here scolding everyone for getting refilled cartridges. That's not the case. He obviously did not read the posts from others like myself that purchased HP cartridges. HP's product quality has declined over the years, just like many other companies.

After reinstalling the genuine HP 901 tri-color cartridge, and cleaning the contacts according to HP documentation, I tried a little spit on the contacts. IT WORKED! Thank you to the person who suggested spit. It's a miracle cleaner from kids faces to print cartridge contacts. Who knew spit was so versatile!
HP Recommended

Today my black cartridge was empty and the tri-color cartridge was reported to have trouble. Before I waste money, I wanted to check whether others have trouble and found this forum thread.

I cleaned both cartridges (tissue with alcohol applied to printing cavities and the contacts) and at least the tri-color problem wasn't reported. Also color printing was possible again.

Now I have some hope that buying a new b&w cartridge will not force me to exchange the color cartridge as well.

Regards from Munich

Goetz

HP Recommended

II've been with this same issue since a year now. every 3 months, I buy new cartridges, and just when I am finishing the printing, POP!! The message again... "Printer Cartridge yadda yadda". I've cleaned, I had disconnected, I have unistanlled and reinstalled, I have had it!!!!!!! 

Seriously now, IS THERE A REAL WAY TO FIX THIS THING, OR ARE WE JUST PLAYING TAG AROUND THE BULLSH**? 

HP Recommended

Hi "MIRV", after your post I received this message:

"MIRV (Student) posted a new Reply in Ink, Toner, Cartridge, & Printhead Issues on 05-05-2014 02:41 PM

Subject: Re: HP Officejet 4500:Print cartridge problem: (tri-color) Refer to device documentation to troubles

Did this reply resolve your post or question?

If yes, then share the good news! Let others know this reply was helpful by accepting this solution.
You can also show your appreciation by giving kudos.

We appreciate your feedback. It's what keeps our community such a helpful, vibrant place for our members.

Thanks for being a member!

The HP Support Forum Team"

And "If no"? I hate such kind of automated customer friendliness.

Kudo to you (MIRV), but you and I couldn't really solve the problem. It seems, that the HP forum is meant to let steam of and to shift the responsibility for dealing with trouble to the "vibrant" communit. Perhaps HP is not too interested in solving problems which keep their ink sales going. As far as this cartridge issue is concerned, I wish that HP themselves would be a little bit more "helpful" and "vibrant".

HP Recommended
I tried to clean the cartridge like you said using alcohol and q tip. I got lucky this time. The color cartridge error goes away for now. Thanks.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.