Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Whenever I turn on my HP Officejet 4620, it works for about a minute and then the screen goes blank with the message "Turn the power off, t" and it freezes. The only way to turn it off is to unplug the printer. What might cause this? How do I fix it? Thanks!

97 REPLIES 97
HP Recommended

There is an error in the frimware that is causing this to happen.  Unfortionitaly the only way to update the frimware is through the control panel of the printer for this model, which will be very unlikely to happen since the printer keeps having this error.  Since this printer is still fairly new, I would suggest giving HP tech support a call.  This should be something that HP would replace the printer for.  You can reach tech support at 1-800-474-6836 in the US and Canada, international users use the linke below.  Let me know what they tell you.

http://www8.hp.com/us/en/contact-hp/ww-contact-us.html

-------------How do I give Kudos? | How do I mark a post as Solved? --------------------------------------------------------
Signature
HP Recommended

I hate you HP..... I could have slept in for a half hour.  I will measure you windows one day and I promise that I will need a software update right that second.

HP Recommended

I've sent your comments along to the right people.  Someone should be in contact with you soon.

-------------How do I give Kudos? | How do I mark a post as Solved? --------------------------------------------------------
Signature
HP Recommended

I called HP support.....they suggested I turn the printer off when not using so "it can rest".  REALLY !!!   That is what they said.  I'm just about to toss this printer and NEVER buy an HP device again.  Please contact me.

I've changed my mind.......I'll order an Epson replacement (they don't have any required "sleep schedules").

HP Recommended
I have sent your comments to the right people. Someone will be in contact with you soon. They will use the Private Message feature of the forums to contact you. If you are not sure how to use this feature, please see the following post. How To Send A Private Message – Video: http://goo.gl/6o7yZ
Signature
HP Recommended

I have just purchased this printer (literally 4 days ago) and have encountered this error on a number of occasions.  The most recent incident with this error caused a warning when I restarted the printer warning that I shouldn't turn it off by turning off the power strip; which is ironic since it cannot be shut down with the power button when this error occurs.  I saw above that a recommended fix is to update the firmware, however there is no firmware update available for download from the HP website, nor are there any instructions on how to perform the update (or any mention of firmware updating period).  The control panel for the printer also appears to lack any sort of functionality to deal with firmware updates.  I have run HP Update and all my software (both printer and operating system) are up to date as of this message.  The printer does operate, however I fear that it may further degrade the longer it goes without remedy.  Please let me know how to obtain the firmware update and how to install said update.

That said, I have encountered other disturbing issues with this printer including paper feed issues, seemingly missing functionality, and also a somewhat unsettling security flaw in the driver software/printer which could allow anyone located on the printer's network to initiate a scan and view whatever is on the platen glass without any form of authorization or security challenge.  I would appreciate if this information could be forwarded to your development staff immediately so an update can be issued.  I can elaborate on each issue if desired.

HP Recommended

I have sent your comments to the right people.  Someone will be in contact with you soon.  They will use the Private Message feature of the forums to contact you.  If you are not sure how to use this feature, please see the following post. 

How To Send A Private Message – Video: http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/First-Time-Here-Learn-How-to/How-To-Send-A-Private-Message-Video/td-p/8...

Signature
HP Recommended

Called the support number with the identical complaint. Reached customer service rep who didn't know squat. Spent 30 minutes "documenting" my case. He said that we will perform a partial reboot and then see if the issue reoccurs. I explained that we can't just sit around to watch the printer go into idle and that it doesn't happen every time. He forwarded me to someone who had some more authority. It was explained that I would need a replacement. They would ship one to me in 5 to 7 days, or if I wanted it tomorrow, I would be charged $43. Also, I would need to provide a credit card to ensure the defective printer would be returned. Also, the replacement unit would be a refurbished version of the same model and "may or may not be used." **bleep**? A week to replacement...give my credit card number out...receive a used/refurb'd unit. Screw that. There seems to be a disconnect. I'm taking this back to the store. It will cost them so much more money and loss of face than dealing with me directly. What is just one more HP printer in the Vendor Returns pile in the back room? Wake up. This is not customer service. 

HP Recommended

I've sent your comment along to the right people.  They should be in contact with you soon.  They will contact you by private message. Below is a link that will show you how to use this forum feature if you are not familiar with it.

How To Send A Private Message – Video:
http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/First-Time-Here-Learn-How-to/How-To-Send-A-Private-Message-Video/td-p/8...

Signature
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.