Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I have an HP Officejet 4630 using a NETGEAR router.  All of my devices on the network can see the printer and print to it.  When I try to have the printer communicate with HP via the internet, my printer screen comes up with Connecting ... and just sits there.  When I go into the ip address from a lap top and select Web Services, I get the message 

Web Services

An error has occurred.

Unable to communicate with the Web Services server. However, you might still be able to use some of the printer's Web Services features.

What do I need to change?

Back ground: I recently switch routers.  All of my devices have automatically connected through the router to the internet but the printer.  The printer connected using the old router without a problem.

Thanks,

John

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi Egan,

Thank you for the update.  I  appreciate it. 

I’ve included screen shots of the process for your Officejet 4630 to set a Manual IP Address and Manual DNS servers.   Please start by turning IPv6 off. The screen shots are to set the manual ip address for IPv4.

1. Please enter the IP address for the printer into the address bar of your browser.  

=1 Screen Shot 2014-04-07 at 10.06.36 AM highlighted.png

2. Please click on the Network tab.  Please click on ‘Network’ along the left hand side menu.

=2 Screen Shot 2014-04-07 at 10.06.46 AM highlighted.png

3. Please click on ‘Network Address (IP)’ along the left hand side menu.

=3 Screen Shot 2014-04-07 at 10.07.14 AM highlighted.png

4. Please click on the radial button beside "Manual IP" then click on "Suggest a Manual IP Address" button.  The Manual IP Address, Manual Subnet Mask and Manual Default Gateway should populate for you.  Please click on the 'Manual DNS Server' radial button.  Please enter 8.8.8.8 for the Manual Preferred DNS Server and 8.8.4.4 for the Manual Alternate DNS Server.

=4 Screen Shot 2014-04-07 at 10.08.56 AM highlighted.png

5. After entering the information please click ‘Apply’.

=5 Screen Shot 2014-04-07 at 10.07.25 AM highlighted.png

6. You should now have a screen indicating the changes made have been successfully updated.

7. You should be able to enable web services now.

--------------------------
Regards,
Happytohelp
Please click the Thumbs Up to show you like my post or to say thanks!

I work on behalf of HP

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Hello Egan,

Welcome to the HP Support forums.  I understand that you are getting a connection error when trying to connect to web services on your Officejet 4630 printer.

Please set a manual IP address and manual DNS servers.  I have included a link to another post I did with the steps on how to do this with screen shots. Please don’t worry that the screen shots are for an Officejet 8600, the steps are the same.

Regards,
Happytohelp

I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

I tried the steps and still does not connect to the internet.  Even though I have the DNS address config radio buttons, I'm not able to select either one.  I was able to pick a manual IP.  Also, I have an option to pick either IPv4, IPv6, or both, (I have both selected), I only see options for IPv6.

My selection of setting a manual IP is under Network Address IP not under IPv6.  I selected IPv4 only, I'm not getting any menu option for IPv4.

What's next?

HP Recommended

Hi Egan,

Thank you for the update.  I  appreciate it. 

I’ve included screen shots of the process for your Officejet 4630 to set a Manual IP Address and Manual DNS servers.   Please start by turning IPv6 off. The screen shots are to set the manual ip address for IPv4.

1. Please enter the IP address for the printer into the address bar of your browser.  

2. Please click on the Network tab.  Please click on ‘Network’ along the left hand side menu.

=2 Screen Shot 2014-04-07 at 10.06.46 AM highlighted.png

3. Please click on ‘Network Address (IP)’ along the left hand side menu.

=3 Screen Shot 2014-04-07 at 10.07.14 AM highlighted.png

4. Please click on the radial button beside "Manual IP" then click on "Suggest a Manual IP Address" button.  The Manual IP Address, Manual Subnet Mask and Manual Default Gateway should populate for you.  Please click on the 'Manual DNS Server' radial button.  Please enter 8.8.8.8 for the Manual Preferred DNS Server and 8.8.4.4 for the Manual Alternate DNS Server.

=4 Screen Shot 2014-04-07 at 10.08.56 AM highlighted.png

5. After entering the information please click ‘Apply’.

=5 Screen Shot 2014-04-07 at 10.07.25 AM highlighted.png

6. You should now have a screen indicating the changes made have been successfully updated.

7. You should be able to enable web services now.

Regards,
Happytohelp

I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

Yes this worked!  Thank you.  I didn't get an accept as a solution link, so I don't know how to close this out.

HP Recommended

OK, I tried this and it changed the IP address and I got the confirmaiton that it was ready but the eFax still states the printer is not connected to the network. 😞 

Any other possible fixes? Thank you

HP Recommended

OK, NEVER MIND! Third time is a charm. It worked but now efax will not synch! OH WOW

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.