Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

Every time I attempt to print on my brand new HP Officejet 4635, my laptop tells me the printer is "offline." Everything is connected properly (wirelessly), and the signal strength is "Excellent." I have re-booted my laptop, and I have turned the printer off and then on again. Even after  I do this ... sometimes it prints and sometimes it still tells me the printer is "offline." I am certain there must be something simple to "click" to simply turn the printer "online" ... I just don't know what it is. Can anyone help? Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi @CaptVydeo ,

The printer should be left on.

Plug the power adapter directly into a functioning wall outlet. Do not plug it into a power strip, surge protector, or secondary power source as this could cause and issue.

Have you tried a different wall outlet?

You could call our technical support at 800-474-6836. If you live outside the US/Canada Region, please click the link to get the support number for your region. They will be happy to assist you immediately.

Thanks.

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom left to say “Thanks” for helping.:smileyhappy:

I work on behalf of HP

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Hi @CaptVydeo ,

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Forums and Welcome. I have read about your HP Officejet 4635 Printer and being offline to your Notebook. Plug the power adapter directly into a functioning wall outlet. Do not plug it into a power strip, surge protector, or secondary power source. This could be causing this issue.

Here is a document to show you how to print a Network Configuration page.

Is it connected to your Wireless?

What is the IP address?

Please let me know.

Thanks.

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom left to say “Thanks” for helping.:smileyhappy:

I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

Thank you. That may be the issue seeing as I do have it plugged into a power strip (which I used to leave on 24/7). The "offline" issue with my printer began when I began turning off the power strip each night. That said, if I plug the printer directly into a wall outlet ... will I need to leave it on 24/7 to avoid the problem? Even if plugged directly into a wall outlet, will I encounter the same problem when I turn the printer off every night (or when its not in use)?

HP Recommended

Hey @CaptVydeo

The printer is meant to stay on. It does have the power save mode or sleep mode so it does not use energy. I can only suggest you leave it on in the end it is your decision. If you turn it off you might be faced with the same issue.

Hope you had a great weekend.

Thanks.

I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

Recently purchased an HP Office Jet 4635 printer/scanner/fax/copier, etc. The printer is connected to my HP laptop via a wireless router (I am using Windows 8.1). Almost every time I attempt to print something, I am told that the printer is "offline." I have re-booted my computer, I have turned the printer off and on again, I have unplugged it from the wall socket, etc. Sometimes when I re-start it prints, more often it continues to be "offline." This is not just a one-time occurence ... it happens daily. So again, I re-bot my laptop, I turn the printer off and on again, I unplug the printer from the wall socket, etc ... and again, sometimes it works, but usually it does not (it remains "offline").

How do I get this printer to remain ONLINE ALL THE TIME. It is incredibly frustrating (and I see I am not the only one who has this issue with this printer).  PLEASE HELP!

Thank you.

HP Recommended

Hi @CaptVydeo ,

The printer should be left on.

Plug the power adapter directly into a functioning wall outlet. Do not plug it into a power strip, surge protector, or secondary power source as this could cause and issue.

Have you tried a different wall outlet?

You could call our technical support at 800-474-6836. If you live outside the US/Canada Region, please click the link to get the support number for your region. They will be happy to assist you immediately.

Thanks.

I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

Keeping the printer on all the time has corrected the problem, however, I don't like keeping the printer on all the time. Is there an alternative solution, or is that the only way to prevent the printer from going offline again? Thank you for your help.

HP Recommended

Hi @CaptVydeo ,

You could try to add the printer to your devices on your computer with an IP address. In this link you could try -Solution three: Assign the printer a static IP address.

This could fix the connection issue when the Printer is turned off. Otherwise, you could try to connect with an Ethernet cord directly to the router.

I hope this helps.

Thanks.

I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

I was having this problem. I print through wifi and everytime I tried to pring I would get the message the printer was offline even thpough I could scan through wifi. I removed the printer from the surge protector/power strip and plugged directly into the wall jack and now the printer prints everytime.

Thanks for the suggestion.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.