Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

HP Officejet 5610 All-In-One. cartridge error: refer to device documentation to troubleshoot.

41 REPLIES 41
HP Recommended

I, too, am having the same problem. I found a much earlier post in which someone suggested trying this link:

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c00428054

but it did not fix the problem.

The error message, "Cartridge error. Refer to device documentation." is there when I turn on the printer, and will not allow me to print, copy, or even fax.

Any assistance is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

HP Recommended

Hello boozapian

I responded to your other post but noticed you posted in a more recent one as well. Typically that article fixes cartridge errors. I had some quick questions are you using HP Ink or refills and have you tried a new cartridge yet?

Hello sgreer

As boozapian pointed out I would try that article it generally fixes the problem. Also if you could please answer the same questions about the Ink you are using.

Don't forgot to say thanks by giving "Kudos" to those that help solve your problems.

When a solution is found please mark the post that solves your issue.
HP Recommended

Hi i got the same error message yesterday too - was partway through printing - printed two pages fine, then went to print next doc and the message and light started flashing - I have tried the fixes listed below and no solution - took out cartridges and they are fine - please help all of us.

HP Recommended

Has this problem been resolved. I have the same problem. I was in the process of of printing a series of documents when the printer started running very slowly. I cancelled the print job. I tried to print a simple 4 line document. It took about an hour to print. Since then nada. I get the above message. I have tried the steps in the above referenced article, but the problem remains.

HP Recommended

Hello takpro

Are you using Genuine HP Ink cartridges or refilled/remanufactured ink cartridges? Did you try the step to change your ink cartridges with a new HP ink cartridge?

Don't forgot to say thanks by giving "Kudos" to those that help solve your problems.

HP Recommended

Check the power adaptor. These printers have an adaptor that supplies 2 output voltages. Can not remember the exact values but if you measure from the centre pin to either of the out side pins you should get two different voltages. If the lower of the two is missing then the printer will go through switch on routine but give you a Cartridge error.

HP Recommended

Thank you for your reply. I'm sorry, I never received notification of your reply. I am using Genuine HP cartridges, I've never used anything else. The printer will still send faxes and scan properly; just won't print. The fact that it just slowed down to a crawl and then stopped doesn't sound like ink cartridges. There is also the fact that I cannot access the software toolbox. I would be happy to try new ink cartridges if HP would buy them back if that doesn't work. I'm not sure why I can't print from either cartridge. In fact, it won't let me attempt to print or copy anything. If one bad cartridge keeps the printer from printing that would seem like a poor design.

HP Recommended

Thank you for your reply. If I understand your reply, you are suggesting I check the voltage at the adaptor. I have no way to check the voltage. Visual inspection doesn't reveal anything unusual.

HP Recommended

Hello takpro

What printer and operating system are you using? Some articles are meant for different printers and different ink cartridges and there may be one that is better to follow than the one I provided.

Also what part of the Toolbox can't you access?

If the HP ink cartridge is still in warranty (you can check using the tool: HP Product Warranty Check) you can contact HP Support to have them exchanged. This would be a good way to isolate the problem. If the replacement cartridges still produce the error than it is not likely a cartridge problem.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.