Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I have a new HP Office 6500 Wireless that obtains an IP address from my Wireless router but cannot PING or web accessed.  But if I use Ethernet than everything works fine.

Info:

Printer HP Officejet 6500 Wireless (Wireless light is ON), Firmware: RBP1FN0935AR

Router: DLINK DIR-655 Ver:B Firmware: 2.00 (Newest I believe), WPA2 AES

Computer:  Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit

If I use Ethernet, it will obtain a DHCP address of 192.168.0.104 and I can ping, print and access the web.

If I unplug the Ethernet and configure the wireless from the front panel, it finds the SSID, I enter the passphrase and it will say SUCCESS and I can see from the DLINK router that it has an IP address of 192.168.0.105 but I cannot ping or access the web interface.

I tried to manually change the IP address to 192.168.0.10 which is outside the DHCP range, it connects SUCCESS but I still cannot ping or access the web portal.

Please help. 

25 REPLIES 25
HP Recommended

INFO From the HP Network Configuration Page

General Information: 

Network Status: Ready

Active Connection Type: Wireless

URL for embedded web server http://192.168.0.105

Firmware Revistion: RBP1FN0935AR

802.11 Wireless

Signal Strength: 5

Channel: 5

Authentication Type: WPA-PSK

Encryption: Automatic (AES or TKIP)

IPV4

IP Address: 192.168.0.105

Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0

Default Gateway: 192.168.0.1

Configuration Source: DHCP

Primary DNS Server: 192.168.0.1

Secondary DNS Server: 0.0.0.0

Total Packets Transmitted: 81

Total Packets Received: 544

Port 9100: Enabled

mDNS: Enabled

SLP: Enabled

Microsoft Web Services:

WS Discovery: Enabled

HP Recommended

Try running this utility.  

I am employed by HP

Say thanks by clicking "Kudos" "thumbs up" in the post that helped you.
HP Recommended

I ran the utility but it was unable to find any printers.

However, my dlink status shows:

192.168.0.105 HPF4CE46CC2371 f4:ce:46:cc:23:71

I still cannot ping or access through the web.  I turned the router and printer off and on. 

Is it likely the wireless module on the printer is defective?

HP Recommended

No, your radio is fine or it would not have an IP address when connected wirelessly.

How is your computer connected to the router - wired or wireless?

I am employed by HP

HP Recommended

I'm not the person who posted this thread, but the problem EXACTLY describes the issues I'm having now. The printer has been getting wonkier than ever lately. Formerly I had it set up with a static IP address (which reduced but did NOT resolve problems with it locking up and requiring unplugging to get it to come back to life).

For several days, it's responded rarely if ever to a request to print. The other day, despite numerous reboots, nothing happened (until I came back 2 hours later and found it had printed something I'd given up on).

I've reconnected it to the router numerous times, by setting up from the panel; it says it finds the router and has connected, but I still can't print.

Today I decided to remove the static IP assignment in the hopes that it might at least briefly respond better with a dynamic IP. No luck. It connected, at 192.168.1.4 (per the wireless network test report), but when I ping it from a web browser, nothing happens. The printer diagnostic utility doesn't connect. The router control page didn't initially show the device, but a few minutes later it did; still no luck with connecting via browser or with attempting to print.

We're using a Verizon FIOS router; don't know the model number.

HP Recommended

Hmmm - finally occurred to me to turn the router off and back on - and that's working (for now).

HP Recommended

Did a bit of googling and ended up finding this post with exactly the same problem: the printer displays an IP with which i can't connect through a browser or ping.

Does anyone have a solution to this?

HP Recommended

that utility was run.

no printer is found.

i have four win 7 connecting to the router wirelessly.

the printer says it conencts to it but doesn't even update the Web Services thing.

should i just sit there and turn the devices on and off for a few more times, wait and hope it'll work out, or i've missed something?

HP Recommended

What brand/model router?  Is it a 6500 like the OP or a 6500A?

I am employed by HP

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.