Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP Officejet 6600 e
Mac OS X 10.11 El Capitan

I am having rotten luck trying to address my problem. I can’t look up solutions on the HP site because the page with paper feed info has an error message. The manual for the 6600 says nothing about this issue. I got a case number to call tech support and got cut off. This is my problem:
I have a RARELY used printer that’s not feeding paper. Instead, it’s squeaking when the feed rollers turn. I blew in canned air, cleaned the rollers with alcohol (they were NOT dirty), plus tried to reset the printer by unplugging/removing toner.  It’s plugged directly into the wall. The drivers are current. How do I stop the squeak and get the paper to feed? Thanks.

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi 

You can take out ink cartridges . check if Bits of paper might be obstructing the paper path and need to be cleared. 

Paper pushed too far into the input tray when it is loaded, might feed into the printer incorrectly. 

Disconnect the power cord from the printer . 

Press and hold power button of printer for 5 seconds while power cable is disconnected . 

Plug the power cord back to printer. 

If problem persists contact HP . 

Revert for any clarifications. 

HP Recommended

Thank you for your suggestions. They did not modify the squeak/non-feed issue. Unplugging/playing with the power button does nothing to the printer. There is nothing obstructing the paper path and the printer is not dirty. The paper is positioned properly. I’ve seen people mention this problem on other HP printer models. It seems to be a built-in obsolesce problem on recent HP printers. The key issue becomes: what causes this squeak when the rollers turn and what is needed to fix the problem to get the paper to feed? Calling HP tech support gets me cut off the moment I note I’m using an iMac, even though it's an HP problem, not an Apple issue. So, we need to solve this problem on the Forum. Otherwise, I’m stuck buying a new printer for a model that’s rarely used.... a travesty.

HP Recommended

Hi , 

you can check the warranty status of your printer and proceed further by contacting HP . 

http://support.hp.com/us-en/checkwarranty/

GOOD LUCK.

HP Recommended

Thanks, but this is hardly my debut printer rodeo. I'm well aware of the status of all my warranties. The warranty is not the issue. I need someone to explain what's causing the squeak/non-paper feed issue. It's VERY common as an HP dilemma, based on posts in this Forum. Someone must know the answer. It's very odd that the manual mentions nothing about it.

HP Recommended

I think a squeaking noise usually indicates a roller problem of some sort. 

I would call it a Mechanical Failure . 

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.