Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

Recently had an electrical storm and neighbor hood power was off briefly. Even tho my printer is plugged into a surge protecter I now have an error message on my printer which reads...

"Missing or failed printhead

ceyan/magenta/yellow/black

the printhead appears to be mjssing, not detected, incorrectly installed or incompatible"

Prior to the storm I had installed 2 new ink cartridges. My trouble shooting efforts have consisted of unplugging the printer from the power source and plugging back in and removing ink cartridges and reinstalling. I still get the "printhead " error message.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi,

I think that you have done everything that I would have tried.

Even though you did unplug the printer I wonder did you leave it unplugged for more than 15 seconds.  See Link

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03750651

If this still does not solve the problem then I think it would be appropriate to contact HP because this printer is probably still under warranty.

Hope that this helps in some way.

>(I am an HP employee) I am not a expert on all our products, but I'll do my best to help you.
If my answer was helpful please click the Thumbs Up.
If your problem is solved please click the Accept as Solution button so other forum users can use the solution.---->

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

Hi,

I think that you have done everything that I would have tried.

Even though you did unplug the printer I wonder did you leave it unplugged for more than 15 seconds.  See Link

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03750651

If this still does not solve the problem then I think it would be appropriate to contact HP because this printer is probably still under warranty.

Hope that this helps in some way.

>(I am an HP employee) I am not a expert on all our products, but I'll do my best to help you.
If my answer was helpful please click the Thumbs Up.
If your problem is solved please click the Accept as Solution button so other forum users can use the solution.---->

HP Recommended

Unplugged printer, waited more than 15 seconds, plugged back in.  Still receive the following message(s): "There is a problem with printer or ink system"  "Printhead appears to be missing, not detected or incorrectly installed"  "Missing or failed printhead".  Nothing wrong with cartridges as I tried in another printer and was ok.  I am at a loss.   Any help or info would be greatly appreciated.

HP Recommended

Missing or Failed Print Head...."The printhead appears to be missing, not detected, incorrectly installed or incompatible.

Installed correctly

HP Cartridges

Have turned off, unplugged  and still same message?

HELP!!!

HP Recommended

My printer just started doing this crap. Out of warranty too.

HP not standing behind thier crappy products.

HP Recommended

Also your doc link is coming up as a malicuious website.

HP Recommended

Tried everyones suggestion but nothing worked so I bought a new printer.  Thanks for the suggestions however. 

HP Recommended

had same problem so went and brought same model as i have a lot of ink 

connected up using power supply from first printer exactly same problem connected new power supply worked no problem also tried new power supply on old printer again working fine

fault with power supply

HP Recommended

I've noticed a few forum messages about the problem I have recently experienced with the HPOfficeject 6600 and so wanted to share mine - and the outcome.

The initial printer message (when the machine failed to print) was

"Missing or failed print cartridges or printer ink low"

cyan/magenta/yellow/black

I checked the cartridges and found two of them low on ink so ordered the HP products online including an extra large Black 932XL cartridge. I installed these, thinking this would solve the problem.

Next printer message was:

"the printhead appears to be missing, not detected, incorrectly installed or incompatible"

I next tried all the recommended steps but failed to get the printer working. Eventually I enquired at the store I purchased the printer from - even though my machine was out of warranty. They agreed they would "have a look at the problem and give me a diagnosis" and this would cost $30. I delivered the printer to them. Within a day they phoned to say they had contacted HP who had instructed them to give me a "replacement upgrade" printer, which turned out to be a completely different model - a 5740 series.

There was no explanation of the problem and I was obviously expected to accept the replacement without query.

While I am grateful to have a working printer again, this leaves me with 5 brand new cartridges which do not fit it, and the prospect of having to replace the ones that come with this printer in a very short time.

I'd really like to know what other people have done to solve their problems and also why HP agreed to replace the machine so readily - out of warranty?

And meantime, if anyone would like to purchase my brand new unused 932 XL (x 2 black) and 933 cartridges (1 each yellow, cyan, magenta - one partly used) at a substantial discount, please let me know.

Thanks

HP Recommended

I have been having the same problem with my printer that everyone else has been having. The above printer error message is that "printer head can not be found." The first two times it did that I unplugged it from the power supply, with surge protection, and it went back to working. The second error message that comes up is ""the printhead appears to be missing, not detected, incorrectly installed or incompatible."    Lastly the error message was "There is a problem with the printer or the ink system."  I understand from reading on the HP website that there is a problem with the HP power  supply. Now the printer that has only printed one thounsand pages is shot because of the failure of HP's power supply? 

Quality is very important to all customers, so why were there no recalls.  This is my eleventh HP printer, and yes I pay more for them than I do from other brands, but I have always had great quality. When someone pays more I believe that they should execpt a higher QC standard to equal the value of the cheeper ones.  Now that HP is becomming just another cheep printer what is my reason for paying more for the HP Printer? I hope that HP corrects my situation.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.