Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

My Officejet keeps on cleaning its print head, and it keeps on doing it, over and over again. I dont understand what the problem is.

After it Finally Cleans the Printhead, it says checking printer and then starts cleaning the printhead again.

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended
Do you have it plugged directly into a wall outlet? If not I would move it to one because the printer might not be getting enough power and that can cause it to do uncommon processes. Even if it has always been plugged up in the current configuration, it can still develop an issue if not plugged directly into the wall outlet. The next thing I would do is a hard reset. A hard reset will attempt to restore the printer to a known working condition if that is possible. No user settings are lost with a hard reset.

To do a hard reset:
1. With the printer plugged directly into a wall outlet, and turned on, unplug the cord from the rear of the printer.
2. Then unplug the cord from the wall socket.
3. Wait at least 30-60 seconds
4. Plug the power cord back into the wall socket first. If the cord has a module in it, make sure that the light on the module is lit up and then plug cord back into the rear of the printer
5. The printer should power back on by itself, but if not use the power button on front panel to turn machine back on.

I would also try a manual cleaning on the printhead contacts to make sure that build up is not triggering a constant cleaning cycle. pages 103-105 in the printer manual covers this process. Here is the link to the manual: http://goo.gl/dZ4NR

I am a former employee of HP...
How do I give Kudos?| How do I mark a post as Solved?
HP Recommended

Why does it do this?
spent another $100 buying a set of inks.

now it's cleaning itself like a dog in heat...

I do not abuse my printer; got a pro because i got tired of buying a printer every year.

I do not have a business, but have 3 persons in my home in school.

if your computers and printers can't handle the demand from 3 school children,

that sparingly use this printer, then change the name from pro to cheap...

HP Recommended

This is the worst printer I have ever owned. It's doing the same thing. I have spent almost 200 dollars for ink.

HP should reimburse me for the money spent on ink and Printheads. I give up!!!

Don Kuschel

HP Recommended

Rule #1 Although if yor here it is a bit late.  Don't let the Ink run empty.  It seems if you do keep printing until hte ink is empty the system goes into some self fix mode.  Ater 30 pages or so I still dont have a working print with my yellow color.

HP Recommended

Im having the same issue, I have spent in 2 weeks almost 200.00 and still no results,  I turn the printer on and it goes stright to alignment and fails then I unplug the printer from the back and wait 30 sec as the instructions tell me, it does the same thing over and over I literally see the ink drop after it does this once, this printer is the crapiest printer I have seen, the sales assistant told me this is a great printer and is great for what my wife does and she prints a few pages every other day if that it has never worked right from the begining and like this post says it stuck in cleaning mode and boy does it clean my pockets. think who ever bought the Officejet Pro 8500 should be reimbursed.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.