Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Me too dissapointed. Initially the printer told me is Yellow Cartrigde only. Hence i bought a Yellow one. When i replace the yellow one, the printer then complaint the other 2 Cartridge also depleted.

WHen i check the printer earlier, it still shows that the ink level is ok.

The issue is i have urgent document to be printed and i'm travelling the next day.

I HAVE BEEN BUYING HP PRINTER FOR HOME USE for more then 10 yrs AND THIS WILL BE MY LAST HP PRINTER...

HP Recommended

+1 angry customer because of the HP scam. 

I will sell my machine, hell, give it away for free even. No way that i'm gonna sponsor HP any more dime on ink. I will NEVER buy a HP product again. Seeing the respons of no help from HP makes me even angrier. 

I followed the instructions on Youtube and suggestions here, but no luck. I keep getting a popup saying: cancel or buy ink option. Even when i've set black only!

I will be looking for another printer. Unbelievable.

HP Recommended

Me, too.  My Last HP purchase. 

HP Recommended

This model used to be able to print black ink only... the new drivers don't allow for this anymore? I was under the impression that it was illegal for print companies to do that now. Regardless, it is highly unethical. Who is monitoring HP for this kind of breach of consumer trust?

It feels like a roller coaster ride with the consumer division of HP; they do things right for awhile and then back to being corrupt.

HP Recommended

wow.  I hate you HP.  Not just because the ink is insanely priced high, but because I bought an oversized black ink cartridge and can't print black only because Magenta is out?  This is childish and an absolute F-job to your customers.  I hope this thread gets to be 10,000......but you'll likely not even pay attention then.  You've lost another customer forever.  It is no harm for you to let me print in Black Only.  You suck.

HP Recommended

Same issue here, plus an extremely annoying system message every 15 minutes regarding the color ink cartridge being depleted.  I am spitting mad about not being able to print black or greyscale when a cyan (or any color) cartridge is empty.  I'll honestly never purchase another HP product (I have an HP 8600 printer and two HP computers).  The printer is going to the dumpster and I'm ordering the Brother MFC-J4510DW once I finish typing this rant.

HP Recommended

HP Rep, I highly recommend that you respond and offer a software fix for this product. I have been ordering HP printers for my company for the last 7 years, and I find this behaviour unethical. If I could return this printer I would immediately, but strategically it's worked to your advantage letting users know at the very end of the ink cycle when the return period has likely expired. Lately, I have received a lot of nice Dell printers for a much cheaper price than HP. We purchase all of our laptops through Dell and they throw us deals on printers. I have stuck with HP printers because I believe in the quality and have built a trust in the printers. This is the moment HP, the trust is broken, this is purely an evil tactic to sell ink. The mere threat of this happening at my company is enough to discontinue business with HP printing. Social media and word of mouth are your biggest dangers when you get caught doing these types of unethical practices. I would like to see a response with a fix soon, because this is not something I plan on keeping to myself in the IT world. 

HP Recommended

I am getting an email from someone at HP weekly, sometimes more often in hopes of getting me to relent about the poor quality of the 8600.  Mine refuses to print in black only, grey or any other non-color when the level one of the expensive ink cartridges are not adequate.  Buying a full compliment of colors is an option - must be the one HP wants us to do, but that is unacceptable.  Buy mine back and I will relent, otherwise, drop the pretense of wanting to FIX this problem that everyone is having with this printer.  No one is getting a cudo for a non-fix.  Woe is the day I purchased it! 

HP Recommended

Dear HP,

I bought a new HP Officejet Pro 8600 plus e two days ago and now find that I cannot print black and whit photos with true black. The black has a green tinge and since 'use black cartridge only' is disabled in this product there appears to be no workaround.

I am a photographer and bought this printer as an ideal home solution for printing draft images to clients. Unfortunately as it stands this printer is of absolutely no use to me.

Since this is purely a software issue can you please release a firmware update that enbles printing with black ink only and inform me when this will be available to download.

Failing that I will join the many that are ditching HP, in my case having been a dedicated user of HP printers for last 20 years. I shall obviously have to post warnings about this non-funcionality on photographic websites.

I hope to hear from HP soon.

HP Recommended

Basically the HP 8600 cannot print in black ink only. If that was the case, then it would print with just a black ink cartridge. Now from what I understand, in order to print black the printer uses a little bit of every process color because the printer will not print unless all 4 cartidges are installed. I feel ripped off by HP because to replace the ink is very expensive and the option to print in black ink or grayscale is a lie because all of the process colors are being used even if minimal. Thanks HP

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.