Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I cannot print anything after replacing the yellow ink because I am required to replace all ink cartridges. This printer was great until this happened. I will never buy an HP printer again. -- A disgruntled small business owner

HP Recommended

😕 No.  That isn't helpful.  I don't need a youtube video showing me how to select black ink only.  Seriously?  I have since "solved" my problem by keeping a supply of ink on hand at all times.  When I came on here for help it was because I couldn't print in black ink only without replacing color cartridges.  It allowed me to do black ink only while they were low and a little warning would pop up to say, "color cartridges low would you like to print in black ink only?" and I would say...uhh, yea I was printing an essay that I typed in word I didn't need color anyway.  Thanks for the warning?  Then one day the color cartridges "magically" became empty despite always selecting the black ink only option and I was no longer allowed to print.  So despite having an almost full thing of black ink, my printer was useless.  Really freaking awesome. 

HP Recommended

My @1 year old HP8600 with full ink cartridges, "black Ink only", "print all text as black - enabled' still results in pages of green ink.  This is my 8th and last HP printer.

HP Recommended

Hi @Ciara_B , can you take a look at this one? Thanks! 🙂

I worked for HP.
HP Recommended

Hi @FranktheTank   (great name BTW!!)

I presume you've checked the usual things like the ink levels and running a Printhead clean? More detail in the link below....

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c04113542

Is the printer within warranty?

Thanks, Ciara

I am speaking for myself and not for HP. Twitter: @Ciara_B_27
HP Recommended

Yes, the black ink is 90%

Yes, I have run the 1st and 2nd print head cleaning multiple times

No, the printer is not in Warranty.

The problem is that my color cartridges were very low, and changing them solved the problem.  The question for HP is "How can HP be so incompetent as to require color ink cartridges in order to print in black ink only?"  You can't tell me that isn't counterintuitive, and just plain wrong.

HP Recommended

Hi Frank

The OJ Pro 8600 needs to have sufficient ink in the printhead, so you might see a Cartridge Depleted msg when the color inks are low. More details in the link below...

Printing with depleted cartridges

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03773211

Just FYI, there is an option for providing feedback on this printer via the customer reviews on HP Shopping. If most of your printing is black text only and not much photos then I'd recommend an 'IPH' based printer instead (Integrated printhead) rather than IIC (Individual ink cartridges like the 8600). More details in the Ink usage in inkjet printers

Hope this helps,

Ciara

I am speaking for myself and not for HP. Twitter: @Ciara_B_27
HP Recommended

Is there a buy-back on HP 8600 Pro??  The item is proving useless to me.  While preparing my taxes to mail tomorrow (leaving on a trip prior to the 17th), the printer won't print because of a COLOR INK ISSUE?  Give me a break!  An expensive printer and it will not handle a simple black and white print job.  I live 35 miles from the nearest Walmart and a block further gets me to Staples where I purchased this junk, but at this time of night, no can do.  Surely, if HP wants to stay in business, it will rectify this by send us owners a program addition to allow it to print in black (got that ink) and white even when yellow is not full or now, today, even magenta.  Give me an answer.  The geek at STables neve told me that this problem would prevent me from using this pile of junk.  Talk to me.

HP Recommended
OK Folks this should resolve most of your problems with the printer eating up so much of you color ink.

Go to devices, right click on the printer and select printer properties, NOT preferences and select the printer. Select the advanced tab at the top then the printing defaults button at the bottom of the window. This is where you want to set the Print in Greyscale setting to use black ink only under the advanced button. You may want to set it up in preferences also, but here is more critical. I found out the hard way that just setting it in preferences doesn't help you when your black cartridge gets low.

When ours got low I was waiting for the printer to tell me to change the cartridge, but it didn't. I went to check to ink levels and our color cartridges suddenly went from 3/4 full to almost empty within a few days. I made this change and then the printer finished using the black ink. However, after changing the black ink, the printer is still using some color when printing because the yellow ink cartridge ran out and when I went to print in what was set as black only the printer told me that the yellow was out and asked if I wanted to print with black ink only. I'm like what the _blank_ because that's what it's supposed to be printing in anyway. It shouldn't need to ask me that question.

So, make sure to set both settings on your computer to use black ink only to minimize as much as possible how much color ink the printer uses when you want it to only use black.
HP Recommended

I have the same problem! Total rip off to have to purchase color cartridges to print black ink.

I believe HP did this purposely to get us to buy their ink cartridges.

I plan on trashing this one and getting a new (non HP ) printer and telling all my friends and family to never buy them.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.