Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I agree 100%

HP Recommended

@olilynton wrote:

Since this is purely a software issue can you please release a firmware update that enbles printing with black ink only and inform me when this will be available to download.

I agree completely and I've already contacted HP about this. HP: Release this firmware update already! There are literally thousands of other printers can print in black when there is no color, you just programmed the 8600 so that it can't! Changing the piece of code that prevents this basic function is VERY simple for you. So do it now! No more excuses! Fix the problem!

HP Recommended

We need to keep pushing HP. I have posted on DP review http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/53848744 if you would like to like it. I also have an ongoing case (edited Personal Information)

HP Recommended

Hello folks, welcome to the forums if this happens to be your first time here!

I am writing to you all, in regards to all of the posts about the Officejet 8600 not printing in black with depleted color cartridges.

This particular printer uses some color inks even when printing in black only. If you did run out of color and kept printing black only, you will cause problems with the printhead.

Here is the user guide to your printer, see page 74. I've also linked page yield information here.

Best wishes,

a i n b o w 7000

I work on behalf of HP

Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" at the bottom of this post to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended

As far as I can see page 74 (78 if you use the page link) makes no reference whatsoever to printing with the black ink only however, pages 40 and 41 (using the link 44 & 45) it states you may select:

"Black Ink Only: uses black ink to print your photo in grayscale. The gray shading is created by varying patterns of black dots, which might result in a grainy image"

This is NOT true

Your reply is not good enough HP is once again misleading it's customers rather than resolving the issue by releasing updated firmware!
HP Recommended

Dear HP Rep,

Your answer does not fix the problem.  Furthermore THAT SHOULD BE LISTED ON THE BOX IN PROMINENT TEXT, DON'T YOU THINK?  

I'm going to go write a ton of reviews about this issue on various sites.  This is ridiculous and a huge rip-off.

No more HP printers for our house, either.  This is the worst kind of hidden cost subterfuge.  Going to report this to the Better Business Bureau and I suggest others do the same.  

#HPsubterfuge  #fail

HP Recommended

@Wytefang 

I just sent you a private message. If you are not sure how to check your forum messages this post, has instructions.

Regards,

a i n b o w 7000

I work on behalf of HP

Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" at the bottom of this post to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended

I appreciate that you're going to escalate this issue.  I would not have had an issue with this if I had just known about this ahead of time via an informative blurb on the outside of the box - I would have simply avoided this otherwise decent printer.

It's just frustrating since we're pretty tight financially and now I can't afford another batch of cartridges - what's worse is I just paid around $37 for the 950XL too!  \:(

Thanks for your response either way.  Maybe something will come of it, who knows.  Sigh.

HP Recommended

I do hope that Rainbow 7000 escalates this problem.  It has gone on too long.  for 20 years I have enjoyed HP printers, and I always changed out an appropriate cartridge when one of the colors peters out.  Having the entire printer stop printing when the software says we are getting low on one color is extremely inappropriate.  

Having the cartridges separate from the print head (cartridge cage) is perhaps a good idea, and I can conceive of reasons why it is important to keep some ink flowing in all four colors, as long as it does not use up ink too fast.  I can understand, since the print head is separate from the cartridges themselves, that if a user was to print black only for an extended length of time, that passages and micro-nozzles for the colors might dry out and make color plrinting impossible even after a new color cartridge was installed.  

Nevertheless, I would like to be able to complete a job on black only if one color cartridge runs out.  Maybe we could get a software override written?  

I would like to see an HP engineer discuss the way ink is managed, and why the software is written the way it is.  This forum at this time (including me) is assuming that HP is just trying to sell more ink.   If that is not the case, please talk to us.  From another point of view, since the cartridges are no longer  precision printing instruments, and merely  repositories for ink, then they should be much cheaper, and we would not mind that black printing uses a dab of each color just to keep the passages and nozzles working.  Maybe there is a compromise somewhere.

HP Recommended

Great response, Looksha.  Could not have said it better myself.  Sorry the HP hierarchy is not visiting this site. 

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.