Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

The HP Officejet Pro 8600 User Guide says: 

"The printer can operate with one or more depleted cartridges. However, printing with depleted cartridges slows the printer and affects the quality of printed documents. If the black cartridge is depleted, blacks are not as dark. If a color cartridge is depleted, output is in grayscale. When possible, replace the depleted cartridge. Do not remove the depleted cartridge until you have a new ink cartridge available to replace. "

But the printer does not print with an depleted yellow cartridges. Do I have to change some settings? Or how can I make the printer print my document without replaceing the yellow cartridges? 

38 REPLIES 38
HP Recommended

Welcome to the forums Aestas:smileyhappy:

I noticed your post about your Officejet 8600 printing with depleted cartridges.

You may be able to print in grayscale or black and white only. Please let me know which OS you are running so I can verify that for you. As for the ink itself, yes you will have to change the depleted yellow cartridge to protect the health of the printhead.

Just for some additional reference, I've also linked page yield information HERE.

I hope that helps!

Have a great Tuesday:smileyhappy:

a i n b o w 7000

I work on behalf of HP

Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" at the bottom of this post to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended

Hi Rainbow

Thanks for your reply. I am using windows 7.

Kind regards

HP Recommended

Hi there Aestas!

Try this:

Click Start, Devices and Printers.
Right click the printer icon.
Click on printing preferences.
Click on the paper quality tab.
Click on the "Advanced" button.
Select Print in grayscale and turn ON.
Select "Black Ink Only".

As I mentioned above, you still may need to change the yellow cartridge if it's depleted.

Happy Thursday:)

a i n b o w 7000

I work on behalf of HP

Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" at the bottom of this post to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended

The Officejet Pro 8600 can print when a cartridge is low but not depleted.  See the document here for information.  Page 91 of the user manual says:

Printing with black or color ink only

For regular usage, this product is not designed to print using only the black cartridge when the color cartridges are out of ink.

However, your printer is designed to let you print as long as possible when your cartridges start to run out of ink.

When there is sufficient ink in the printhead, the printer will offer you the use of black ink only when one or more of the color cartridges are out of ink, and the use of color ink only when the black cartridge is out of ink.

• The amount that you can print using black or color ink only is limited, so have replacement ink cartridges available when you are printing with black or color ink only.

• When there is no longer sufficient ink to print, you will get a message that one or more cartridges are depleted, and you will need to replace the depleted cartridges before you resume printing.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button 

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

HP Recommended

I am annoyed. There is nothing on page 91 of my manual to indicate that there needs to be ink in all cartridges.  I can understand now why it won't print when one is empty, but one of the reasons I bought this printer is because it is supposed to print black only when up to 2 cartridges are depleted. My manual (page 90) says:

"The printer can operate with one or more depleted cartridges. However, printing with
depleted cartridges slows the printer and affects the quality of printed documents. If the
black cartridge is depleted, blacks are not as dark. If a color cartridge is depleted,
output is in grayscale. When possible, replace the depleted cartridge. Do not remove
the depleted cartridge until you have a new ink cartridge available to replace. "

@Bob_Headrick wrote:

The Officejet Pro 8600 can print when a cartridge is low but not depleted.  See the document here for information.  Page 91 of the user manual says:

Printing with black or color ink only

For regular usage, this product is not designed to print using only the black cartridge
when the color cartridges are out of ink.

However, your printer is designed to let you print as long as possible when your
cartridges start to run out of ink.

When there is sufficient ink in the printhead, the printer will offer you the use of black
ink only when one or more of the color cartridges are out of ink, and the use of color ink
only when the black cartridge is out of ink.

• The amount that you can print using black or color ink only is limited, so have
replacement ink cartridges available when you are printing with black or color ink
only.

• When there is no longer sufficient ink to print, you will get a message that one or
more cartridges are depleted, and you will need to replace the depleted
cartridges before you resume printing.

HP Recommended

@McKnitter wrote:

I am annoyed. There is nothing on page 91 of my manual to indicate that there needs to be ink in all cartridges.  I can understand now why it won't print when one is empty, but one of the reasons I bought this printer is because it is supposed to print black only when up to 2 cartridges are depleted. My manual (page 90) says:

"The printer can operate with one or more depleted cartridges. However, printing with
depleted cartridges slows the printer and affects the quality of printed documents. If the
black cartridge is depleted, blacks are not as dark. If a color cartridge is depleted,
output is in grayscale. When possible, replace the depleted cartridge. Do not remove
the depleted cartridge until you have a new ink cartridge available to replace. "

[snip]

What exactly is your printer model? The verbage of the above is that for an IPH printer (with a black and a tri-color cartridge or perhaps a black, tri-color and photo cartridge), it does not apply to printers with separate ink supplies and printheads.  Can you give a link to the manual online, or scan the page and post it here for your printer?  

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

HP Recommended

@Bob_Headrick wrote:

@McKnitter wrote:

[snip]

What exactly is your printer model? The verbage of the above is that for an IPH printer (with a black and a tri-color cartridge or perhaps a black, tri-color and photo cartridge), it does not apply to printers with separate ink supplies and printheads.  Can you give a link to the manual online, or scan the page and post it here for your printer?  

I can find several manuals online but not the one that I have and I don'tknow how to upload anything here. I have copied and pasted the relevant information from "my" manual, which has a black cover, says Officejet Pro in green, and says 8600 User Guide in white. I can see the other information in other manuals which explains about printing with LOW ink but not with NO ink. If you can tell me how to upload "my" manual, I'd be happy to do so. Meanwhile, here's what I've copied and pasted, and thanks for your interest.

HP Officejet Pro 8600 e-All-
in-One series

User Guide

Copyright information
© 2011 Copyright Hewlett-Packard
Development Company, L.P.

Print with one or more depleted cartridges
The printer can operate with one or more depleted cartridges. However, printing with
the depleted cartridge until you have a new ink cartridge available to replace. For
information about how to install new cartridges, see Replace the ink cartridges.
CAUTION: Wait until you have a new ink cartridge available before removing the
old ink cartridge. Do not leave the ink cartridge outside of the printer for an
extended period of time. This can result in damage to both the printer and the ink
cartridge.

[page] 90 Work with ink cartridges

HP Recommended

I will look into this, it may take a few days.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

HP Recommended

I am extremely, extremely upset. My rpintewr is telling me it cannt print because cartridges are deleted, but it is not telling WHICH  cartridges are depleted. I have loaded a new black cartridge in but am getting the same message and my job is frozen. 

BEFORE I bought the HP 8600, I checked THOROUGHLY that it could print in black when the color cartridges were empty. I even got on the phone  with an HP tech and double- and triple-checked that this was true. He mentioned nothing about cartidges being either fully or partially depleted, and nothing about 2 out of 3 color cartridges being depleted or not, or indeed any of the other ifs, ands, and buts I am seeing here in this forum thread - which descriptions I might add are murky and anything but clear and straighforward. I specified I wanted to be able to print in black with all the color cartridges empty, and he assured me this was so. If all these other ifs, ands, and buts apply, why did he misrepresent the situation?? And what will HP do to make me whole when its rep gave me inaccurate information???? And where do I go to get justice?

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.