Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I have exactly the same problem. The printer shows this error and I cannot print my document. I am very frustrated about this. The person who sold me this product told me that I CAN print while some of the cartridges are depleted. What can I do now? Do you want to upload something like the serial number of my product?

HP Recommended

@dimitg wrote:

I have exactly the same problem. The printer shows this error and I cannot print my document. I am very frustrated about this. The person who sold me this product told me that I CAN print while some of the cartridges are depleted. What can I do now? Do you want to upload something like the serial number of my product?

The salesperson was mistaken. The printer will give an option to print in black ink only when the ink is low, but once it gets completely depleted printing will be blocked until the depleted cartridges are replaced.  At this point you will need to replace the depleted cartridges.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button 

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

HP Recommended

i had this problem. the salespeople are WRONG and HP does not rectify the siuation, only offered me some new cartridges. When they are empty I will need to buy a new printer, the brand of which I assure you will be different.  And if they won't put this comment on the forum, as they like to leave out the negative ones in accord with their politenss "rules", it is just a further example of their unresponsive attitude.

HP Recommended

wow got new black ink catridge and it just won't print, messed with it for an hour or 1.5 hours and it just won't print, very frustrating. all my previous printers they can print with just black even if you take out color catridge or any of the color empty, very frustrating. googled then foudn this page. salesman said it can do it but it can't what the hell? Now I have to keep buying color catridge when I ONLY print in BLACK?!?!??!?!?!?!? that just doesn't make sense

have they updated it or the problem is still the same? I only need to print couple pages.

what's the best way to save catridges? I can't afford buying catridges all the time and for my previous printers I only buy black and print in black.  jsut leave it in sleep mode or when you don't print for awhile turn it off completely?

so how did you guys solve this problem? get a new printer? complaint to BBB? HP? how did you guys get new catridges from HP? compliant or something?  very frustrated and disappointed customer, now I gotta buy a new printer **bleep**?

HP Recommended

Hi @suiken,

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post serial numbers and case details.

If you are unfamiliar with how the Forum's private message capability works, this post has instructions.

Sunshyn2005
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the thumbs up" button!

HP Recommended

All of you are concerned when there is a very easy solution.

Donate your current 8600 to the recyler

Buy ANYONE elses printer.

Tell your coworkers to tell their friends.

Easy.

Eventually people will stop buying HP who have either 

A) assumed people would simply get in line to buy color cartridges

B) not bother to make a product that works for those zillions who 'almost' exclusively print in black.

Good sales on now...

HP Recommended
I have the same problem , how did hp solved this? TIA
HP Recommended
My printer is telling me it cannot print because cartridges are deleted, I have barely use the colors ink . I have loaded a new black cartridge in but am getting the same message and my job is frozen.
HP Recommended

The section you quote is for printing when the cartridges are low.  At some point a supply may run out completely, at that point the empty supply will need to be replaced as shown in page 91 of the user guide here.

When there is sufficient ink in the printhead, the printer will offer you the use of black ink only when one or more of the color cartridges are out of ink, and the use of color ink only when the black cartridge is out of ink.

• The amount that you can print using black or color ink only is limited, so have replacement ink cartridges available when you are printing with black or color ink only.

• When there is no longer sufficient ink to print, you will get a message that one or more cartridges are depleted, and you will need to replace the depleted cartridges before you resume printing

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button 

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

HP Recommended

I just put a new black cartrage in and still cannot print in Black only. The printer wants the color cartrages replaced too. what a crock...are these prople from china? HP is certsainly not for the customer. 

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.