Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Don't bother replacing the print head. Just got a new one for $120 with new set-up cartridges and now it says one or more cartridges are missing or damaged. Tried reinstalling cartridges and print head several times. The new print head was half the cost of a new printer. This all started when I replaced the Cyan cartridge

HP Recommended

I have the exact same problem. The 8600 is a year old. I changed one cartridge then it said change the next one and then one more and I received the same message as everyone else "problem with the printer or ink system". I put back the original ink cartridges and also tried everything else noted here and in the manuals. No luck at all. Pretty unbelievable.

HP Recommended

Yes, mine is just out of warranty. Pretty scary when you view all these problems messages for HP printers. It's really not that complicated a piece of equipment and yet they can't get it right!

HP Recommended

Looks like I am having the same problem as everyone else. Purchased my HP Officejet 8600 Plus about a year ago. 

-Got the same error message. 'There is a problem with the printer or ink system...'

-Replaced the cartridges - no luck

-Reseated the carriage, repeat. - no luck

I was about to call support to order a new part, but someone on this forum said the part is $120.  Are you kidding?

I have used HP products since the HP Laserjet II back in the 90's. That thing lasted forever. 

One would think after paying $300+ for a printer it would last for more than a year. 

HP Recommended

Yes, I told you that the new print head with set-up cartridges cost $120. They have sent me 2 and each time, the printer comes up with a different error message. Really? So it doesn't even know what the error is? I sent back both printer heads and they are supposed to be crediting my account when they receive them. I did have to ask to speak with a supervisor because, although the tech support was very nice and helpful, he did not have the authority to give me a refund. I really wish they could make the printer work because it was awesome when it worked and it is the printer that everyone recommends. I still think the problem originates with the cartridges, which we always bought official HP cartridges.

HP Recommended

So what we are seeing appears to be a common problem with this HP Officejet Pro 8600 printer. 

We have all gone through the troubleshooting, even going so far as to replace the ink/printjet head.   And we are still having the same problem. 

So basically we have a $300 paperweight sitting on our desks after approximately a year of operation. 

The question is, will HP step up and offer a solution or replacement?

HP Recommended

Let me know how that works for you! I am reluctant to get rid of mine only because it was awesome when it worked and I am hopeful that someone would come up with a workable solution. The HP tech kept trying to get me to upgrade (buy a new unit) but I would not do it.

HP Recommended

Hello lakegirl10,

I understand your frustration with your OfficeJet 8600. Please refer to the troubleshooting document Problem with Ink System. I suggest following ALL steps listed and let me know me know the outcome.

I hope this helps, and look forward to hearing from you.

Thanks,

HevnLgh
I work on behalf of HP

Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" to the left of the reply button to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended

I appreciate your help, but I have been through all of these steps several times with the original printhead and with 2 replacement printheads. I was on the phone with tech support for over an hour. They declared that the printer has failed. So frustrating. As I stated, I would just like it to work and do not understand how a printer over $300 can not last longer than just over a year.

HP Recommended

I've 2 8600s.  One is arind year old and has worked perfect.  This other one is 6 months old and have had 2 printheads replaced so far.  Ran out of black ink today, so I replaced with new cartridge.  This printer message came up, aboujt "problem with printer or ink system...". I did everything, even putting empty cartidge back in.  No luck.  This failed head still has the Set Up cartidges, so these are the originals.

And today is a Saturday at thje store so we're out out luck printing today and tomorrow.

I've heard a lot of 8600 failure stories lately.  Sounds like it increased as they dropped the cost.  Manufacturing issue looks like.  But what can we do?

{Content Removed} 2 bad heads in 6 months is BS.  I like HP, but the reliability has gone down hill over last 10 years.

Anybody else with suggestions?  I'll call HP to get another head, but it sounds more endemic that just the head.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.