Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP Officejet Pro 8610
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

I currently have Windows 8.1 and would like to upgrade my printer to the HP Officejet Pro 8610.  I know it will work with my current operating system, however, when I upgrade to Windows 10, will it still be compatible?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Windows 10 is still in the testing phase so there are no full featured drivers on HP's website yet, but I would expect the Officejet Pro 8610 will be fully supported.  I do have the Windows 10 build 10122 and it does have a driver for my similar Officejet Pro 8620 included.

I note the "HP All-in-One Printer Remote" is listed for Windows 8.1+, I would expect it will be updated as well.

oj8620 w10.png

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button 

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

View solution in original post

20 REPLIES 20
HP Recommended

Windows 10 is still in the testing phase so there are no full featured drivers on HP's website yet, but I would expect the Officejet Pro 8610 will be fully supported.  I do have the Windows 10 build 10122 and it does have a driver for my similar Officejet Pro 8620 included.

I note the "HP All-in-One Printer Remote" is listed for Windows 8.1+, I would expect it will be updated as well.

oj8620 w10.png

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

HP Recommended

Thanks Bob !!!

HP Recommended

I downloaded windows 10 on my work computer and I could not get the printer to work, I had to go back to windows 7 until the new drivers come out

HP Recommended

@SecuritygirlWA wrote:

I downloaded windows 10 on my work computer and I could not get the printer to work, I had to go back to windows 7 until the new drivers come out

What happened when you tried to install the printer?  I have not had any issues with my similar Officejet Pro 8620.  The Officejet Pro 8610 is listed as supported with a full featured driver at HP's page here.   Did you use the automated wizard?

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

HP Recommended

No I didn't use the automated wizard...I wil look into that

HP Recommended

I have tried a direct install and the "wizard" (definitely a misnomer) to no avail.  Using either method, the software finds the printer initially but then fails on the install with the message "The printer was unable to be installed over the network".  Hitting "retry" gets the same results.

I tried the install over both wireless and then wired network connections; neither worked.  I have deleted the software, downloaded again, shut of the printer, etc. with the same results. 

I now have an expensive paperweight until HP comes out with an update.

As an FYI, I have no problem with an older Officejet 8500 a909 and a Photosmart 6520.  Both installed with no problem.

HP Recommended

It is a well known fact that the HP drivers & software for the 8610 are not fully Windows 10 compatible.  This is especially true for 8610s which are operating on network via wireless.

As a workaround (while HP finishes developing the Win 10 drivers!) you can....

Run the "Wizard"

Select "I will connect it later"

complete wizzard

Go to Windows Printer screen

Click ADD A PRINTER

Do not select any printer which may show.... instead click add manually

Enter IP address of printer you wish to connect

use existing drivers

Printer should work.

Scanning functions need to be configured separately  through the HP panel on desktop.

HP Recommended

Multiple 8610 on my network and cannot get Windows 10 to connect to any of them.  Driver installs Fax piece of printer but nothing else and it ends up in my USB devices in Comp Management with (REST) beside it's name.

HP Recommended

I am contemplating upgrading my computer to Windows 10 again. The first time I did, my HP Officejet Pro 8610 would not work so I had to revert backto 8.1. Are the issues resolved at this time? I really don't want to do any work-arounds! thanks

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.