Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Officejet Pro 8630
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

HP Officejet Pro 8630 Freezing and not Playing Well in the Sandbox....

1)  I have this printer both at work and at home and I'm having some issues at both locations. The machine seems to have problems with talking to more than 1 computer (even if those are not used at the same time of day.  I.T. said something about it lacking postscript, but I'm a novice where those things are concerned.  Our I.T. dept. did manage to let others in the office print to this 8630 by routing thru my computer, but cannot make it work by directly accessing it via our network. 

2) A couple times lately, I've tried to scan or print and the machine freezes up. I give it 5 to 10 minutes to finish, but time is not the problem. I've tried canceling but that did nothing. I tried powering it off, but the power button does nothing but continue to glow. My only answer at that point is to pull the plug and give it about 20 seconds before plugging it back in.

I'm running Windows 7 SP1 64 bit.

This machine seems to work fairly well, but even when I.T. gets it working; however, they have to tweak the setup 1 to 3 times a year to keep it working. I don't know if this is due to issues in the printer, or the geometry of our network changing; this issue does not seem to happen to the other printers (of which there's more than 100) on our network.

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@Woodbury_GIS

Let me take a moment to thank you for posting on the HP Support Forums. 

I understand that you have an HP Officejet Pro 8630 e-All-in-One Printer at work and at home and face the same issue. I read that the printer has issues communicating with more than one computer. Also, the printer will freeze while printing and scanning. You're unable to cancel the job when it freezes and you need to manually disconnect the power cable to power off the printer. I appreciate the steps you have performed and have certainly done a good job.

I would like to know the following information to assist you better:

• Does the printer work fine when connected via USB or has similar issues?

Meanwhile, I did some research and suggest you to perform the following steps:

• From the printer control panel, touch and slide your finger across the screen, touch Setup, and then touch Network Setup.
  • Touch Restore Network Defaults, and then touch Yes. A message appears stating that the network defaults have been restored.
  • Touch OK.
  • Print the network configuration page and verify that the network settings have been reset.

Now run a wireless setup wizard on the printer so that it connects to the existing network:

• From the printer control panel display, touch and slide your finger across the screen and then touch Setup.
  • Touch Network Setup.
  • Touch Wireless Settings.
  • Touch Wireless Setup Wizard.

Please locate the printer's IP address by touching the wireless button on the printer. The printer should display the IP address. Otherwise, print a network configuration page from the printer and it will have the IP address. 

• From the printer control panel display, touch and slide your finger across the screen and then touch Setup.
  • Touch Print Reports and then touch Network Configuration Page.
  • NOTE: If the IP address is http://0.0.0.0, the printer is not connected to a wireless network. Reconnect your printer to the wireless network, and then print a new Network Configuration Page. Make sure the report shows the status as Connected. If the wireless connection drops, continue troubleshooting.

Let us assign a manual IP address to the printer:

• On your computer, open an Internet browser.

• Type the URL address for the EWS in the browser address bar, and then press Enter. Make sure to type the IP address into the Internet browser's address box. If typed into a toolbar search box or search engine, the EWS does not open.

• If a website security certificate displays in the Internet browser, click Continue.

The EWS webpage for the printer opens, which confirms that the printer is on the same network as the computer.

• On the EWS webpage, click the Network tab.

• In the Wireless section, click Wireless (802.11), and then click Manual IP.

• If a Suggest a Manual IP Address option is available, click it, click Apply, and then reconnect your printer. If the wireless connection drops, continue to the next step.

• If a Suggest a Manual IP Address option is not available, continue troubleshooting.

• Figure : Example of clicking Suggest a Manual IP Address

Clicking Suggest a Manual IP Address
  • On the Network Configuration Page, locate the IP AddressSubnet Mask, and Default Gateway.

• Figure : Example of the IP Address, Subnet Mask, and Default Gateway

Example of the IP Address, Subnet Mask, and Default Gateway
  • On the EWS webpage, type the IP Address, Subnet Mask, and Default Gateway numbers from the Network Configuration Page in the matching fields, and then click Apply. If the wireless connection drops, continue to the next step.

• Figure : Example of typing the IP Address, Subnet Mask, and Default Gateway numbers

Typing the IP Address, Subnet Mask, and Default Gateway numbers

Ihope this helps. Please let me know the results. All the best! 🙂

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.