Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP PageWide Pro MFP 477dw
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

We have D3Q20A#B1H HP PageWide Pro MFP 477dw with an embedded web server password. Can we clear that or do an NVRAM init to clear that.

Thank you very much!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Ok Thanks anyway I guess we will scrap the printer even though it only has printed 10 pages. We loaned this to a customer and they do not know the password.

However I have had other secured printers which had a password and we were able to reload the firmware which still protects the previous customers information while also allowing to give the product a useful life. I guess you would be better off not securing it at all so as to prevent issues like this.

Usually a secured product that can be reset would not be able to be used anyway unless certain configurations are setup in order to use the product.

When these start coming back off leases they would all have to be scrapped. That's quite a waste honestly but that seems to be the norm with secured devices these days.

So the lesson is DO NOT SET A PASSWORD ON OFFICEJET PRINTERS or at the very least write the password on the bottom of the printer where no one can see it or you will have to buy a new printer if the password is forgotten or the IT guy is fired.

I like the old days when you had to move a secret jumper or use the paper clip to press a secret button to reset everything back to default. Dreaming of the good ol' days...

View solution in original post

16 REPLIES 16
HP Recommended

Have you found the answer to your question. This is a bit old, but let me know if you still need help. 

You are looking for "Restore Factory Defaults".

HP Product Expert for the Officejet Pro X and PageWide Pro Series.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution!
See a great post? Give it a Kudos!
HP Recommended

Thanks for your help. All the menus are locked through the embedded web server configuration and we cannot find a way to clear that so we are unable to access the "Restore Factory Default" option. Some devices have key combination to reset the device when you  turn it on but we do not know if there is a power on key combination to clear this model or other method to restore factory defaults.

HP Recommended

This is one of the features of having a secured printer. If the EWS password is set, and the panel is locked, the unit is secured and must have the password to get access.  HP  does not provide a means to break the security. 

HP Product Expert for the Officejet Pro X and PageWide Pro Series.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution!
See a great post? Give it a Kudos!
HP Recommended

Ok Thanks anyway I guess we will scrap the printer even though it only has printed 10 pages. We loaned this to a customer and they do not know the password.

However I have had other secured printers which had a password and we were able to reload the firmware which still protects the previous customers information while also allowing to give the product a useful life. I guess you would be better off not securing it at all so as to prevent issues like this.

Usually a secured product that can be reset would not be able to be used anyway unless certain configurations are setup in order to use the product.

When these start coming back off leases they would all have to be scrapped. That's quite a waste honestly but that seems to be the norm with secured devices these days.

So the lesson is DO NOT SET A PASSWORD ON OFFICEJET PRINTERS or at the very least write the password on the bottom of the printer where no one can see it or you will have to buy a new printer if the password is forgotten or the IT guy is fired.

I like the old days when you had to move a secret jumper or use the paper clip to press a secret button to reset everything back to default. Dreaming of the good ol' days...

HP Recommended

Hello there,

You can actually reset the password as long as ther isn't a front panel lock done in the embedded web server.

You would need to do a restore factory default from the printer maintenance menu.

This option may not be available to you. in which case, call customer service and they'll help you get to enable the option.

Thanks

-TalalPWS  HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi all HP,

Good Day to you,

I have the same proplem here.

The IT guy is passed away and he was the only person who have the password .

we try much to find this password but we didn't find it any where. 

I need a help for Reseting the printer to defult factory settings.

please help me if you can ?

Thanks ,

best regards,

Milad

HP Recommended

Sorry but as the thread was explaining, if the front panel is locked and you can not get to the resets and I believe you would have to replace the printer or the main board - good luck finding one of those. However, I still do not have access to a service manual so I still can't say for sure. We ended up scrapping ours and it was still in perfect condition and under warranty. If I get any more of these I may try to search again for a service manual or contact HP Support but I just didn't have the time trying to fix a inkjet printer. I had some replies asking me to contact support and they may have sent a new one out even though its what they call a customer initiatiated situation or whatever. Long live the laserjet with ability to reload the firmware!

HP Recommended

I found a solution: Switch off the Printer. Switch On and keep pressing the Power button AND the Touchpanel -> Touchpanel is getting black -> wait for about a minute then - I am not sure which keycombination is the right on but just try pressing the side icons - one of them will lead you to a menu where you can make a fullreset. After that the printer is acting as a new one

HP Recommended

I will try this on the next one we get back. Thanks for your information!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.