Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

To whom it may concern,

I've begun having a problem with my HP Photosmart 5510 - running wirelessy on a Mac OSX 10.6.8 machine.

Up until yesterday I've been able to print wirelessly to it, even when it was asleep it would wake up and print.

Now, however, I get a message 'Printer Offline' whenever I try to print to it, wether it's awake or not, and I have to switch the printer off and back on again before it prints.

My HP Printer utility can see the printer and it's connected to my Network.

Any help would be appreciated,
Thanks,
Ronan

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I found this on the Apache website:

"You unexpectedly see an Apache HTTP Server installation page when you visit a Web site. If you have sent us mail because you saw a page saying 'It Worked!' (or something similar indicating that Apache has been installed) on your screen or a Web site you visited, please go back and READ the page. It should explain what is going on. The page is the equivalent of a demo or the ReadMe file from a Windows application installation; it is intended for the person who installed the software and is supposed to show that the installation was completed successfully. The problem you are experiencing has nothing to do with us, and we cannot help you. You need to contact the Webmaster for the site. If the site is www.foo.com, for instance, try sending mail to <webmaster@foo.com>. If it's www.toddsbeer.org, send mail to <webmaster@toddsbeer.org>. And so on."

I think there is something funny with your router's DNS (probably your ISPs DNS) setting.  Can you get into the router settings and change the DNS to google DNS or OpenDNS?

I am employed by HP

Say thanks by clicking "Kudos" "thumbs up" in the post that helped you.

View solution in original post

33 REPLIES 33
HP Recommended

What router?  Have you restarted the router?

I am employed by HP

HP Recommended

I have this problem also. And like the other guy who said it is not a network problem. Mine is not a network problem (not a router problem).

So please just tell people how to put the printer 'online'.

This is typical of hp forums, 100s of questions that are not answered... gets pretty tiring.

thanks for your non-help.

Hank

HP Recommended
I have gone through the wireless setup and the printer is happy. The blue Wireless light is solid, not blinking. The "Test Report" is all positive. WHY does this thing not work?

Oh, and by the way, my router is a Cisco/linksys, everything else on my network works fine, and just for the sake of being compliant, I restarted it.

This should JUST work. The only diagnostic information available seems to be saying the same thing. Everything is happy, but it still shows as "Offline" in the printer status. I can pause and un-pause, and same thing.
HP Recommended

Download and run this utility: http://h20180.www2.hp.com/apps/Nav?h_pagetype=s-926&h_lang=en&h_client=s-h-e17-1&h_keyword=dg-NDU&ju...

What does it say?

I am employed by HP

HP Recommended

It doesn't say anything because I can't run an .exe on my Mac.

I said "I have the same problem" ...  including the fact that I'm running on Mac OS.

Support, how about giving us a list of possible causes and solutions?  Or a Mac version of that utility?

-Hank

HP Recommended

these are the steps i got from HP technician over the phone and it worked so give it a go.

you should remove your printer as a printer initially and then follow these steps to re-add it.

Steps to add the printer back onto your Mac.

1- system preferences / print and fax / then on the left hand side under the white section click on the plus sign, this will bring up the add printer page

2- go to the printer and click the wireless button on the front of it and this will show an I.P. address... write this down as you will need it for the next step.

3- go back to the mac, click on the I.P section (top of the add a printer screen), at the top drop down box click on HP JET DIRECT SOCKET section below, address , put the I.P. address of you printer in here.. In name put 5510 delete the I.P address that is in the name section. and at the bottom drop down box the "Print using" choose the name of the printer then click on ADD

4- Print a test page. if the test page fails, turn your ROUTER-MAC-PRINTER off in this order, then turn the Router on (wait till the lights stop flashing) then the Computer (wait till your fully logged in) then the printer. Then repeat the above steps

HP Recommended

I was having the same problem using an HP Photosmart 5510 All-in-one together with a MacBook Pro running OS X 10.6.8.

I think I found the issue: printer sharing — I had shared the printer on the network. I turned off printer sharing, rebooted my Mac and at the same time, restarted my router and now everything works together just fine. I tested it by scanning from the scanner and choosing to save the file to my computer, and I ran the HP Scan 3 program that came with the software (which, by the way, you have to choose to install — it doesn't default to install that software, but that's a different issue). 

I hope this fix continues to work for me, and I hope this helps to resolve the issue for everyone.

Cheers!

HP Recommended
I spoke too soon! I just tried again and am having the same problem. This experience brings back nightmares of trying to get a printer to work on a Windows machine, and I'm not too happy about that.

HP, give us an answer or be prepared to start getting a bunch of 5510 returned to the local store!!!
HP Recommended

Ok, at the expense of being labeled a 'blabber poster', I'm going to now reply that I tried again, this time turning my HP Photosmart off and then on again, and it worked ok.

I've noticed that whenever the Photosmart's LED screen goes black, as if in some sort of screensaver mode, that's when the problems start. It must be a Bonjour-networking thing that is beyond my patience level to resolve.

For now, I guess I'll either turn the 5510 off and on again to get it to work, or I'll find a way to stop it from going into screensaver mode.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.