Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

I not sure if Penn13 ever found a solution or not, but I found the document below, that should help you solve the problem.  If it doesn't, let me know, and I will see what else I can find.

Black Ink is Missing on Printouts

-------------How do I give Kudos? | How do I mark a post as Solved? --------------------------------------------------------
Signature
HP Recommended

Same problem here. Everything prints except black. I have...

1) Put in a new cartridge (even though the old one was almost full)

2) Ensured cartridge was properly seated.

3) Ensured cartridge was properly vented. Even blew a drop of ink out to be sure.

4) Ran the printhead clean several times

5) Ran the clean printer several times

6) Printed umpteen diagnostic pages

7) Checked for software updates

Same result. No black ink. It's as if the software has shut off the black ink.

Haven't even had printer long enough to use up original colored ink cartridges yet. Very disappointed. 

HP Recommended

Thanks Shane,

The link you have provided is usefull and not my printer works fine. I would have a final question, what is meant by "Allow automatic servicing to complete" automatic servicing?

HP Recommended

@bogazici  That is just referring to automatic cleanings and other automatic maintenance that the printer does.

@eileenthevette  Do the diagnostic pages and pages printed directly from the printer, such as copies, come out with black ink on them?

-------------How do I give Kudos? | How do I mark a post as Solved? --------------------------------------------------------
Signature
HP Recommended

I ended up running the printhead cleaning routine about 20 to 30 times - it used a full cartridge of black ink, and then some. Given the cost of ink, it would have been cheaper to just buy a new printer.

I am not sure if the printhead cleaning system would work with an empty print cartridge, but it would save you a lot of paper/ink if it could.

Someone suggested that a dab of alcohol on a swab touched to the printhead might help. Again, if you wreck the printer, it is still cheaper than getting the printhead to clean if you have to go through multiple ink cartridges.

HP Recommended

After reading all previous notes I'm sure that problem is a defect of this printer. It is strange that this problem appears after months or years of use. I tried all tests recommended by HP, but, as written by the last user, I shall not change several original cartridges to try to obtain a solution to the problem. I saw also that the problem is located only on black ink.

It would be useful for all users that HP would recognize the defect of this printer without suggesting the usual HP tests

HP Recommended
Will not print black. Copy machine feature doesn't work.
HP Recommended

My printer is having the same exact problem and is is only 18 months old. The black will not print. Colors will.  I have run all of the HP suggestions.  I am a computer teacher and am techy.  Nothing has worked.  Extremely disappointed in HP.  Seems to be a theme here.  Obviously a manufacture's defect.  Is HP going to do anything about it?

HP Recommended

I finally resolved (or may have resolved ...) my problem. I used with perseverance (for about one month) a solvent for printer ink (injecting a few drops of solvent using a syringe, drying the remaining dirty liquid after a few hours). Obviously this is a sperimental method used as a last resort. Probably (in my opinion) there is a tendency to clog up of printer nozzle, but why only for black ink ? .....

HP Recommended

hp photosmart 5510 purchased nov 12.  printer is working, but prints a blank page.  does the same from computer or making copy.  has a new black cartridge.  whats wrong?

@Penn13 wrote:

Black in will not print!!!! Ugh!!!! Brand new black cartridge with low levels on the colors.  Have gone through all the normal procedures to clean print heads, align printer, take ink out and put back in......  Colors will print on these pages but not the black.  Yes, HP cartridge not a knock off. Help!!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.